GTRE Kaveri Engine

Nothing wrong in it. And it's good to get the engine certified by a foreign company.

Agreed

But the current engine is flightworthy and we did that by ourselves. Basically, neither the military nor the govt believed the engine is flightworthy and they needed to hear it from the French to believe it.

Okay, Now this is not about 'belief'. when one is making something as complex as an aero engine, it is a very difficult tech but it is just confirmation of sorts, because no one in the Govenrment or the Millitary actually makes Aero engines.

If the French did not audit the engine, we would have put a flightworthy engine in a warehouse and forgotten about it. So I'm just giving credit where it's due.

In order to build new versions, we need the French anyway, or we need 10 more years, ie 20 years in total.

The Flight worthy engine is a recent development, till 2016 there were tweaks baing done, one being a shill sound coming from thte engine no one knew why or from where it was coming. Kaveri was never intended to be put in a warehouse. We would have definitely flown it on tests beds again and again. never knowing when we actually crossed the threshold of flight worthiness. The development of Kaveri was paused at many instances but it was never intended to be stopped. Even if we had to spend ten times the present amount and more time. it would have continued. at Current costs we might be the first ones to develop an engine at such low price point. That's a HUGE win.

If it was so easy, why india didn't do it by itself ???
hummm ?
:confused:

because it was probably far more difficult. No?

Because it's the Indian system of how things work in India, not the French system. if we had the French system working in India, we would not have needed it anyway.

If we had asked Snecma to replace the kabini core with the M88 core, then I would have appreciated real transfer of technology, I would have written Thank you, France. But I did not write that. Because that did not happen.

We won't know if there was any technical help involved in rectifying the "remaining" shortcomings of Kaveri. But knowing how things go, IMO there really wasn't any technical help done. Let me explain that. This whole Snecma looking into Kaveri was done to "know WHY" WHY did Kaveri have any shortcomings in it's operations. I'm not talking about Thrust alone here. There were reported problems of engine shutdowns, vibrations and sounds early on which are the most difficult to pin point because individually the systems were working fine, only when run for actual tests did these pop up. However, with our OWN research, we HAVE ALREADY rectified most of it. Engine life and a few other things were there which were not something we have any PRIOR experience on. France has that. So, what did we do ? We asked for experienced people to look into it. Snecma.

Bad thing was, it cost us money, this mere AUDIT cost us good money like it should. Good thing was, this was included in the Rafale package which has nothing to do with a GTRE product. A brilliant stroke. Now here is the thing, IF French had helped with technical help as to sharing knowledge about engine development, it would have cost a helluva lot more. And it would have come under our CAG's attention. Just this technical help with Kaveri alone would have been an issue with CAG and there would have been a stink of it. There is none. All the CAG has gone for is the Rafale deal alone. So, all I'm saying is, since we bought this Audit, buying real technical help would have cost us a whole lot more. If it has cost less it means that there wasn't any help necessary. Not worth the money. Kaveri is an alright product now, EVEN THE FRENCH SAY SO. Wholly home made. Ready to take to the skies.

Hence the part about Cracker's approval to take Kaveri to skies.

(That's all you can gather from public media.)

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan
The problem with Kaveri was two fold. The screeching noise during afterburner operations and certification of the engine for flight tests. All the problems with present Kaveri have been resolved in house with very little assistance from Safran. However Safran has taught GTRE how to certify the engine for flight tests and what all needs to be done to ensure that engine performs as expected.

Agreed

Okay, Now this is not about 'belief'. when one is making something as complex as an aero engine, it is a very difficult tech but it is just confirmation of sorts, because no one in the Govenrment or the Millitary actually makes Aero engines.

The Flight worthy engine is a recent development, till 2016 there were tweaks baing done, one being a shill sound coming from thte engine no one knew why or from where it was coming. Kaveri was never intended to be put in a warehouse. We would have definitely flown it on tests beds again and again. never knowing when we actually crossed the threshold of flight worthiness. The development of Kaveri was paused at many instances but it was never intended to be stopped. Even if we had to spend ten times the present amount and more time. it would have continued. at Current costs we might be the first ones to develop an engine at such low price point. That's a HUGE win.

Kaveri's other versions were active, but the fighter version was, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Fellas, all the French did was ran the engine, took it apart, studied it and gave it's approval. They studied it. There is no information available, nor will be to point in the direction of Snecma's technical assistance in making up Kaveri's shortcomings. All I have read so far is that the French did an technical AUDIT.

like i read somewhere on the internet that it took a white man's approval for Kaveri to run test bed test with an aircraft.

"What SAFRAN has said is that the re-jigged Kaveri design, inclusive of the M88’s core, is a workable idea & the next step therefore is to develop a few prototypes for flight-tests. SAFRAN NEVER said that the Kaveri with the GTRE-developed core section is suitable for flight-tests on board a combat aircraft." - Prasun K. Sengupta

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_
The problem with Kaveri was two fold. The screeching noise during afterburner operations and certification of the engine for flight tests. All the problems with present Kaveri have been resolved in house with very little assistance from Safran. However Safran has taught GTRE how to certify the engine for flight tests and what all needs to be done to ensure that engine performs as expected.
"What SAFRAN has said is that the re-jigged Kaveri design, inclusive of the M88’s core, is a workable idea & the next step therefore is to develop a few prototypes for flight-tests. SAFRAN NEVER said that the Kaveri with the GTRE-developed core section is suitable for flight-tests on board a combat aircraft." - Prasun K. Sengupta

Just here after reading PKS blog whom @Parthu has quoted which I've included here .

Both of you are informed commentators . Whose version do we believe & why? @vstol Jockey

Your views too @randomradio

Correct,objective should be full filled false prestige has no meaning if it doesn’t full fill the objective ,Solve the issue move on to next target.we can... we will ...we are planning bla bla ,we already spend lot of money and time .lets complete this one use it save some money .eventhough lower thrust we should use it.we can export Tejas with this engine to country where US won’t permit GE404 engine .
India makes RD33 with 90kN thrust and 1150kg weight. India makes Al31F engine with 80\125kN thrust and 1550kg (2000kg with TVC nozzle). Both these engines have TWR of about 8 in afterburner. Kaveri engine is expected to have 1250kg weight. It will be reasonable to expect Kaveri to have 105kN thrust even going by RD33 standards.

It will be pointless to make an engine wiyh lower TWR than what you already have.
Not for the current program. We need help for advancing the Kaveri beyond where it is today, that's where actual French help will come in.

The current program involves the French spending just 25Cr or 250Cr or similar.
Why do you think France will help India instead of using the opportunity to mint money from India?

If India needs engine, India has to make on its own.

We didn’t have the ability to verify or fix this at our end. As simple as that
Or there were internal enemies who sabotaged it.
No, we needed help with the program and we still need help in fixing the program. The idea that India has somehow reached the levels that other countries with decades more experience without missing a beat is ridiculous. We have friends. And they are helping us.
India has friends who has given it Al31F engine and RD33 engine manufacturing. AL31F is especially made from Raw material stage and India has full ToT. Let us not pretend that India is so far behind other countries for some mysterious reason. The engine like M88, F414 were all made by 1990. The technology of West was not so great in 1990 that Indian technology today is lower than that.

After Al31F, Kaveri engine is just one step ahead. The development of engine since 1996 and the infrastructure availability of making Al31F is good enough to make Kaveri

The MoD couldn't afford to spare INR 500 crores and a MiG -29 ? Are you serious ? Or is it more likely the case where the MoD was sure this was money down the drain given their total lack of confidence in the Kaveri prototype ?
MoD did not give funds for anything during UPA. Astra missile was tested from ground for 11 years from 2003 to 2014. Tejas had no development and was untit to fly in 2014. All that was available was airframe and FBW cum avionics. Rest were all imports with hardly any development. Scorpene submarine was negotiated by NDA in 2003 and signed in 2005 by UPA but first submarine was sent for sea trials in 2016, 11 years after contract was signed.
Even after the French got involved, MoD is delaying the disbursement of the 500Cr needed for Kaveri's continued development.
How did Kaveri solve the problems and get tested if MoD delayed funding? France has said that Kaveri is ready for limited trials. So, there must have been real work in the last 4 years.

Whom do we believe ? As in whom does the layman believes ? Any sources or references ?
M88 is 75kN engine and it has smaller size. It is impossible to fit in M88 core in 2 years and make Kaveri engine. So, the timeline itself makes it clear that M88 core is not used and it is original core itself

Last edited:
India makes RD33 with 90kN thrust and 1150kg weight. India makes Al31F engine with 80\125kN thrust and 1550kg (2000kg with TVC nozzle). Both these engines have TWR of about 8 in afterburner. Kaveri engine is expected to have 1250kg weight. It will be reasonable to expect Kaveri to have 105kN thrust even going by RD33 standards.

It will be pointless to make an engine wiyh lower TWR than what you already have.

I think you are missing the whole point here , we know nothing about AL31 engine .you are saying BMW is manufacturing in Chennai and we build all the spare parts so we can build BMW....Noway you might be knowing the wheel X inch but why you don’t know why they use that size you will never know ,if you haven’t involved in the designing,testing and troubleshooting of that product.we don’t know why the blade angle is that degree ...what speed we need to run ...when you need to change the blade ,what is the life of each component...we have 0.0 knowledge how al31 is stable.you are talking same way my Pakistani friends says that they have made a cruise Missile and a fighter plane ...thrust vectoring nozzle and software to control it that’s will be another milestone for DRDO.
We are a developing nations we have so many priorities every department need money .we will distribute 1rs and expect work of 1000rs that’s the reality now move on ...
If I am buying a car my friend France has years of experience in this sector and allay of us in aerospace (satellite lunch)why I will not take his help .i now I am a genius but not able to do it for last 30 years what’s wrong in taking help .

Why do you think France will help India instead of using the opportunity to mint money from India?

If India needs engine, India has to make on its own.

Or there were internal enemies who sabotaged it.

India has friends who has given it Al31F engine and RD33 engine manufacturing. AL31F is especially made from Raw material stage and India has full ToT. Let us not pretend that India is so far behind other countries for some mysterious reason. The engine like M88, F414 were all made by 1990. The technology of West was not so great in 1990 that Indian technology today is lower than that.

After Al31F, Kaveri engine is just one step ahead. The development of engine since 1996 and the infrastructure availability of making Al31F is good enough to make Kaveri

MoD did not give funds for anything during UPA. Astra missile was tested from ground for 11 years from 2003 to 2014. Tejas had no development and was untit to fly in 2014. All that was available was airframe and FBW cum avionics. Rest were all imports with hardly any development. Scorpene submarine was negotiated by NDA in 2003 and signed in 2005 by UPA but first submarine was sent for sea trials in 2016, 11 years after contract was signed.

How did Kaveri solve the problems and get tested if MoD delayed funding? France has said that Kaveri is ready for limited trials. So, there must have been real work in the last 4 years.

M88 is 75kN engine and it has smaller size. It is impossible to fit in M88 core in 2 years and make Kaveri engine. So, the timeline itself makes it clear that M88 core is not used and it is original core itself

GTRE has enough money to make this work on the ground, but they need a plane to flight test it.

And there's the Ghatak also.

I think you are missing the whole point here , we know nothing about AL31 engine .you are saying BMW is manufacturing in Chennai and we build all the spare parts so we can build BMW....Noway you might be knowing the wheel X inch but why you don’t know why they use that size you will never know ,if you haven’t involved in the designing,testing and troubleshooting of that product.we don’t know why the blade angle is that degree ...what speed we need to run ...when you need to change the blade ,what is the life of each component...we have 0.0 knowledge how al31 is stable.you are talking same way my Pakistani friends says that they have made a cruise Missile and a fighter plane ...thrust vectoring nozzle and software to control it that’s will be another milestone for DRDO.
We are a developing nations we have so many priorities every department need money .we will distribute 1rs and expect work of 1000rs that’s the reality now move on ...
If I am buying a car my friend France has years of experience in this sector and allay of us in aerospace (satellite lunch)why I will not take his help .i now I am a genius but not able to do it for last 30 years what’s wrong in taking help .
BMW is assembled in India with some parts like engines imported. Al31F is made in India fully.

Being a deveoping nation is irrelevant as the resource management can be done as long as the resource is available in India. The things that are needed are -metal, equipment, electricity and scientific labour. All this are within India.

India started Kaveri engine project in 1996 and in 20 years, about 6 years was wated by UPA from 2008 to 2014. If not for that, India would not have been still developing it. To know the reason of stability, angle of blades etc, one has to do multiple models/prototype and then find the variation. This can be done given some time and 16 years have been given for it.

India writes FADEC for Al31F and has also written it for Kaveri too. Know why and know how can be understood by trial and error.

France is not some generous benefactor to give assistance. The assistance generally means export of critical parts so that India can make engines with other parts sourced from India. Just like Shakti engine has french import, this assistance will also have french import

Ok
BMW is assembled in India with some parts like engines imported. Al31F is made in India fully.

Being a deveoping nation is irrelevant as the resource management can be done as long as the resource is available in India. The things that are needed are -metal, equipment, electricity and scientific labour. All this are within India.

India started Kaveri engine project in 1996 and in 20 years, about 6 years was wated by UPA from 2008 to 2014. If not for that, India would not have been still developing it. To know the reason of stability, angle of blades etc, one has to do multiple models/prototype and then find the variation. This can be done given some time and 16 years have been given for it.

India writes FADEC for Al31F and has also written it for Kaveri too. Know why and know how can be understood by trial and error.

France is not some generous benefactor to give assistance. The assistance generally means export of critical parts so that India can make engines with other parts sourced from India. Just like Shakti engine has french import, this assistance will also have french import
As far as I know it’s a license production ...and we will ask Russia before we touch anything and we have no knowledge how they decide the maintenance life cycle and xyz ....we are building al31without understanding why the specifications of that component like that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bon Plan
Just here after reading PKS blog whom @Parthu has quoted which I've included here .

Both of you are informed commentators . Whose version do we believe & why? @vstol Jockey

Your views too @randomradio

Leave PKS, half of his assessments are half assed, the M88 core design would mean full redesign of the engine its crontrol parameters and everything else (software. cooling etc). It would have taken another 10 years to get it right. DRDO GTRE completed everything, just the final cerification part was left, without which they would have made an engine not knowing if what they had made actually fit the bill. @vstol Jockey is bang on the buck here.

• Informative
Reactions: _Anonymous_
DRDO annual report kaveri page

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180623-110519.png
    Screenshot_20180623-110519.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 226