Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

@Gautam

I think you are right and I got it wrong initially

I followed up with the air water missile thing , and later realised that the yellow model on the left is not that.

It is most probably what you claimed could be in the first place , a model of a new SSBN

If one takes the front portion of model as the front portion of a SSBN , then the slant appendages are the fore fins. While the hump on the model is the section containing the SLBM silos . While the extended portion before the hump is the conning tower aka mast .

View attachment 9740
It's funny how some just crop the picture and put their name on it. :cautious:

Sukhoi Su-57 frazor🇷🇺🇮🇳 (@I30mki) Tweeted:
For #AMOGA ATGM, BDL will most probably use #Tonbo AI enabled Auto Target Recognition and Tracking Dual/Tri Band IIR Seeker along with the Tonbo FCS.

Tonbo long time back posted a render of an ATGM named AMOGHA LTA.@VinodDX9 @saptak__mondal @DRDO_India @DFI_Sancho @Aryanwarlord Sukhoi Su-57 frazor on Twitter ( )

Reactions: hellbent
It's funny how some just crop the picture and put their name on it. :cautious:

Lol

You already have the evidence at your doorstep, regarding what I told you just minutes before.

Anyways I am concerned that if tonbo or BDL takes objection , whose a.s.s will be on the guillotine :censored:

Last edited:
Q: Can you provide an update on the missile development programme?
A: We received further orders on Aakash and concluded the user trials for Nag anti-tank missile, which will be inducted soon. The Helina trials will be completed this year whereas the trials for the MPATGM will be finished next year. The trials are also going on for Stand-off anti-tank missile. Other future missile programs include Akash NG, MRSAM for Army, VL-Astra, AAM-Astra MK-II, ASM-Rudra-M and naval anti-ship missile.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) : News and Updates

Introducing Astra-VL

Possibly, for SRSAM requirement of Navy.

Reactions: Karan
Introducing Astra-VL

Possibly, for SRSAM requirement of Navy.
Here is a pic from previous tests prior to the airframe change. This is just to visualize what it might look like.
Can't get enough of those shock diamonds.:love::love:
1568128002924.png

Why does it have to be VL ? They could just use an inclined launcher like a RIM-116 launcher :
1568128937301.png

Although VL should mean reduced RCS for the ship, so there is that.

Why does it have to be VL ? They could just use an inclined launcher like a RIM-116 launcher :
1568128937301-png.9992

Although VL should mean reduced RCS for the ship, so there is that.
Weight difference. Also, IN has to show the specific requirement for this kind to start on one. (Like SMART)

N-SRSAM is to replace Barak-1 role. So it has to be similar dimensions and weight. Honestly, i do not know how much of Asta will the there in it and why they are calling it so.:(

Vijainder K Thakur (@vkthakur) Tweeted:
Astra's 44-km range when launched from 30,000 ft and weight of 170-kg (AIM-120 weighs 151-kg, similar range Raytheon Peregrine, 68-kg!) don't make it an outstanding BVR missile. However #AstraMissile AstraMiss is claimed to have significant Close Combat (CC) capability. Vijainder K Thakur on Twitter ( )

Vijainder K Thakur (@vkthakur) Tweeted:
#AstraMissile CC capability include 45-deg off boresight launch, LOBL, Autonomous Mode Guidance and IRST,HMS slaving. It's large active seeker would be immune to adversary DIRCM. The @IAF_MCC has some tough decisions to make on Astra, if indeed it's their decision to make! ( )

DRDO conducts five trials of Air-to-Air Missile ‘Astra’; All successful

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested the Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM) ‘Astra’ from Su-30 MKI platform off the coast of Chandipur, Odisha. The trails were held from 16th to 19th September 2019. The trials were conducted by Indian Air Force (IAF) against Jet Banshee target aircraft simulating all possible threat scenarios.

The five trials conducted during this period tested missiles in different configurations. During the campaign, three missiles were launched in combat configuration with warhead and manoeuvring targets were neutralized to establish the end game capability of the missile. The trial campaign also included a direct hit of the target by the telemetered missile at maximum range. All the subsystems performed accurately meeting all the mission parameters and objectives.

Astra BVRAAM has range of more than 100 kms with modern guidance and navigation techniques. The missile has midcourse guidance and RF seeker based terminal guidance to achieve target destruction with pin point accuracy.

The effort for building a state-of-the-art BVRAAM byDRDO, together with IAF has completed the user trial phase of the weapon system successfully. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has played a role in modifying the aircraft for weapon integration. More than 50 public and private industries have contributed in building the Astra weapon system.

The present flight trials have proved the end to end performance of the missile system in various combat scenarios giving greater confidence to users. The five successful trials of Astra will culminate into induction of the missile system into Indian Air Force, which will certainly be a force multiplier considering its accuracy and effectiveness in neutralizing aerial threats.

Dr G Satheesh Reddy, Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman, DRDO congratulated team ‘Astra’ for developing and flight testing such a formidable class of weapon system. The technologies developed under the programme will be the building blocks for development of future variants of Air-to-Air and Surface-to-Air Missiles.

Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh congratulated DRDO and IAF teams for the successful trials.

I'm saying the Astra weighs more than other missiles in it's class though it is reported to have some other advantages over other missiles in it's class in terms of its propellant and seeker.

Excusable, I'd say, since it's the first attempt by DRDO to come up with a contemporary A2A missile. Moreover, a few kgs more can be accommodated in a FA. Not sure if a helo that too a LCH can do so especially when it carries a paltry payload to begin with.

I don't have any data on the Helina or SANT. What do I compare it with?
Astra is not heavier than its contemporaries. I do not know where people get the impression. Its Indian, something must be wrong with it!.

RVV-AE
Launch/warhead weight,kg : 175/22.5

AIM-120C-5
Launch weight : 157kg

Astra
Launch weight : 154kg

You should compare Helina with AGM-114L/R Hellfire which weights 108 lb (49 kg)

8861672_helinaposter_jpegf663ce3956812921c1fabc1ddc8be007.jpeg