Indo-Israeli Barak-8 / MRSAM

BDL manufactured LR-SAM being loaded on to a Kolkata class destroyer :
1578241601697.png

Notice that rectangular cut just below the ring ? That's the port where the electronic command for firing is connected.

The development lifecycle of missiles have come down a lot in the last few years and even a brand new missile is being test fired within 2 years of conceptualization. Indian scientists have cracked the missile code for sure and are able to arrive at different missiles by repurposing the technologies that they have been building all these years. Once we are self sufficient in the seekers, India will soon (maybe in the next 5 years) start exporting different types of missiles to friendly countries. Companies like BDL / BEL should become net integrators and create an ecosystem for private sector MSME to manufacture the components.

Reactions: randomradio
BARAK ER Successful Live Firing Trials

IAI today completed a series of successful live firing trials with the BARAK Air Defense System. The trials tested the system’s capabilities in a range of scenarios and threats, including the interception of an assaulting ballistic target by the BARAK ER (extended range) interceptor.

The BARAK ER missile, developed by IAI, combines the capability to intercept air defense threats at a long range of 150 kilometers and ballistic targets as part of IAI’s BARAK interceptors’ family of various ranges. The extended range capability is made possible in part by adjusting the interceptor and MMR radar capabilities to a 150 km range. The vertically launched missile includes a booster, a dual-pulse rocket motor, and an advanced radar homing seeker.

barak-er-successful-firing-trials_825x515.jpg

Nice. So it looks like they have managed to maintain the schedule they had planned in 2017. So I guess the IA's version will begin inductions in 2023.

IA version will begin induction in 2023?? I think as per the timeline first set was to be delivered to army in yr 2020.. don't know wht happened to it .. nd last set is to be delivered by 2023-24..

Nd here u are saying that first system will begin induction in 2023.. that's way too long man... Even in recent interview of drdo chief he clearly stated that final set of mrsam would be delivered to IA in 2023-24.. i am quoting the quote as well as link for the same.

"MRSAM (Army) has begun developmental trials and we expect the final set to be delivered to the user by 2023-24"

IA version will begin induction in 2023?? I think as per the timeline first set was to be delivered to army in yr 2020.. don't know wht happened to it .. nd last set is to be delivered by 2023-24..

Nd here u are saying that first system will begin induction in 2023.. that's way too long man... Even in recent interview of drdo chief he clearly stated that final set of mrsam would be delivered to IA in 2023-24.. i am quoting the quote as well as link for the same.

"MRSAM (Army) has begun developmental trials and we expect the final set to be delivered to the user by 2023-24"

There are two programs, one under the IAF and the other under the IA.

In 2017, two projects were cleared for a total of $2.5B, one was for the development of the IA's MRSAM and the other was for the production of the IAF's MRSAM. The IAF's share was $1.9B and the IA's share was $600M. The IAF's MRSAM began delivery in 2020 and is set to end before 2024, it's for 18 batteries. The IA's MRSAM will finish development soon and will begin deliveries in 2023, which will go on until 2028 for 5 regiments. So that's 1 regiment a year.

The army's version was first test fired only a few months ago.

A few more tests, and it will become ready for production.

Btw, the snippet you posted refers to the army's final development set, meaning the production version. It refers to the version that will undergo user trials.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
There are two programs, one under the IAF and the other under the IA.

In 2017, two projects were cleared for a total of $2.5B, one was for the development of the IA's MRSAM and the other was for the production of the IAF's MRSAM. The IAF's share was $1.9B and the IA's share was $600M. The IAF's MRSAM began delivery in 2020 and is set to end before 2024, it's for 18 batteries. The IA's MRSAM will finish development soon and will begin deliveries in 2023, which will go on until 2028 for 5 regiments. So that's 1 regiment a year.

The army's version was first test fired only a few months ago.

A few more tests, and it will become ready for production.

Btw, the snippet you posted refers to the army's final development set, meaning the production version. It refers to the version that will undergo user trials.

Development trial of a already tested product nd inducted system (in navy and IAF) taking 6 yrs that too after contract signing...

MRSAM for IAF nd IA is the same missile.. with only difference being the launcer configuration wherein army version will be more compact than IAF version... So if both IAF & IA MRSAM is same (albeit launcher configuration) than how come one is taking 6 yrs in development? It's not the case that army version will be a different missile altogether so it will need development nd user trial.. it's an already validated sam..

If for Akash ng case it would have followed the timeline u hv stated i.e of 2023-24 coz it's a new missile nd will go through the dreaded phases of developmental nd user trials.. however for mrsam this doesn't make any sense.

Nd more importantly i hv also shared the link in the above post where drdo chief hv corroborated the same..i.e of timeline related to IA MRSAM.. he is actually stating the FINAL SET (not the first set) will delivered to user by 2023-24... Go through the link he uses the term "SET" for IAF's nd NAVY's version of MRSAM nd LRSAM respectively too.. with term "FINAL SET" being used for IA nd NAVY with different timeline

I hope that settles the case for IA mrsam induction

Development trial of a already tested product nd inducted system (in navy and IAF) taking 6 yrs that too after contract signing...

MRSAM for IAF nd IA is the same missile.. with only difference being the launcer configuration wherein army version will be more compact than IAF version... So if both IAF & IA MRSAM is same (albeit launcher configuration) than how come one is taking 6 yrs in development? It's not the case that army version will be a different missile altogether so it will need development nd user trial.. it's an already validated sam..

If for Akash ng case it would have followed the timeline u hv stated i.e of 2023-24 coz it's a new missile nd will go through the dreaded phases of developmental nd user trials.. however for mrsam this doesn't make any sense.

Nd more importantly i hv also shared the link in the above post where drdo chief hv corroborated the same..i.e of timeline related to IA MRSAM.. he is actually stating the FINAL SET (not the first set) will delivered to user by 2023-24... Go through the link he uses the term "SET" for IAF's nd NAVY's version of MRSAM nd LRSAM respectively too.. with term "FINAL SET" being used for IA nd NAVY with different timeline

I hope that settles the case for IA mrsam induction

So the DRDO test fired the army's first missile in 2020 and now it's ready for induction?

So the DRDO test fired the army's first missile in 2020 and now it's ready for induction?

It's not a different missile from navy or iaf version? We have been testing mrsam since 2015 i guess.. it's not that army has ordered a new ER version that is needed to go though development nd user trial. So my point is why not directly hv user trial nd be done with it nd induct already?

I am also not sure what's the current status of IA MRSAM. Various reports suggest that it was to be inducted in 2020... Nd this make complete sense that u get system after 3 yrs of contract signing..

However as u are claiming the first system would be ready for induction in 2023..well this beats me... This timeline would even put rafale procurement to shame.. even with S-400 deal signed in 2018 it will be up for induction by this year's October-nov.

Nd here we are getting first system after 6 yrs of contract signing? If the above case is true than we hv a real phucked up procurement cycle.. At that time even a newly developed Akash ng would be up for induction ( if army finds it enticing)

With china breathing on neck.. the last we need is a bummer of procurement cycle.. i hope that's not the case.. but their's so much ambiguity around army version.

It's not a different missile from navy or iaf version? We have been testing mrsam since 2015 i guess.. it's not that army has ordered a new ER version that is needed to go though development nd user trial. So my point is why not directly hv user trial nd be done with it nd induct already?

It's simple really. The army and air force versions are different. Especially the launchers, platforms, CP etc. The army's operational environment is very different from the air force's hence needs a whole new R&D cycle.

I am also not sure what's the current status of IA MRSAM.

It's under testing now. Expected to end in 2023.

Various reports suggest that it was to be inducted in 2020... Nd this make complete sense that u get system after 3 yrs of contract signing..

However as u are claiming the first system would be ready for induction in 2023..well this beats me... This timeline would even put rafale procurement to shame.. even with S-400 deal signed in 2018 it will be up for induction by this year's October-nov.

Nd here we are getting first system after 6 yrs of contract signing? If the above case is true than we hv a real phucked up procurement cycle.. At that time even a newly developed Akash ng would be up for induction ( if army finds it enticing)

With china breathing on neck.. the last we need is a bummer of procurement cycle.. i hope that's not the case.. but their's so much ambiguity around army version.

The air force variant's R&D began in 2009, serial production in 2017 and deliveries in 2020. The army variant's R&D began in 2017 and was first tested in Dec 2020. The production contract for the army's variant is yet to be signed, it's gonna be a very big one.

Overall the army's SAM procurement has been delayed a lot. Right now only Akash is happening, which is their SRSAM project. 2 more regiments of Akash Mk1A will finish that, it's been delayed. Their QRSAM will begin delivery only in 2022, delayed since 2019-20, and the MRSAM has been on schedule since signature, but will begin delivery only in 2023 or 2024.