Mid Air Refueling Tanker : Updates & Discussions

Best option is to buy 2nd hand Il76s from Russian reserves, refurbish them with new engines, cockpit etc and induct them.

Else if serviceability is actually a problem. Go the Australian way. Hire private airrefueling services from any US based contractor, they have 707s and MD10s with them for the interim and then make a choice betweem A330 or B767 for the future.

Else stick to Il76 platform if the serviceability after 2016-2019 has seen a improvement. As with C17 production closed. In the future when we have to buy heavy lifters, it will provide us comman aircraft reducing stress on supplies.
IAF will never want more IL76 or IL78 as they suffer serviceability issues. At any time only 49% of the aerial tanker fleet is available.
A320 platform for tanker roles...?
A320 is too small for aerial tanker role. We need wide body airliners.

Well, Indigo is already buying from Airbus in huge quantities. I don't see what's the issue here. The MoD can work out a scheme where in they commit to leasing 12-18 such tankers for an extended period of time with the option of buying it out. Scope for leasing out and / or becoming a lessee of such critical ancillary equipment is tremendous.

I don't think Indigo has wide-body aircraft, they only have A320s. IAF is only interested in 6 more tankers for lease. If they had the money for 12-18 lease, then they can easily buy 6 second-hand tankers instead.

I don't think Indigo has wide-body aircraft, they only have A320s. IAF is only interested in 6 more tankers for lease. If they had the money for 12-18 lease, then they can easily buy 6 second-hand tankers instead.
What about jet airways planes

The economics to be considered is leasing out 16 year old 12-18 A-320s in 2022 for 10 years plus modification & warranty vis a vis outright purchase of 6 x 2nd hand tankers. In case of a lease, You won't be shelling out the money in 1 go. Plus there lies the issue of compatibility of the probes of Russian Aircrafts with a western tanker. Then there are the P-8i, the Jags, Mirages & Tejas to factor in. One can look at the A-320 as a sub optimal solution to cater to mid air refuelling within our land mass & leave the Ilyushins to cater to overseas activities assuming the Ilyushins are compatible with the P-8i.

The economics to be considered is leasing out 16 year old 12-18 A-320s in 2022 for 10 years plus modification & warranty vis a vis outright purchase of 6 x 2nd hand tankers. In case of a lease, You won't be shelling out the money in 1 go.

A320 won't be used for refuelling. It can only carry 24kT of fuel. Barely even refuel one MKI. We need IL-78 with 85kT, B-767 with 96kT or A330 with 111kT.

Someone has to buy 12-18 of these large tankers first.

Plus there lies the issue of compatibility of the probes of Russian Aircrafts with a western tanker.

Won't be an issue.

Then there are the P-8i, the Jags, Mirages & Tejas to factor in. One can look at the A-320 as a sub optimal solution to cater to mid air refuelling within our land mass & leave the Ilyushins to cater to overseas activities assuming the Ilyushins are compatible with the P-8i.

We need A330.

Last edited:
How about seeking used American KC135, they have like 70 of them in reserve?

Useless to the IAF. American tankers use the flying boom, while we use probe and drogue.

The aircraft comes with one probe attachment, but there's only 1 and it's dangerous.

It's suffered a ridiculous amount of crashes as well. Not to mention, very, very ancient.

A320 won't be used for refuelling. It can only carry 24kT of fuel. Barely even refuel one MKI. We need IL-78 with 85kT, B-767 with 96kT or A330 with 111kT.

Someone has to buy 12-18 of these large tankers first.

Won't be an issue.

We need A330.
Well then, all we've to do is either buy it outright from Airbus or lease it from them which seems unlikely. The 3rd option is to a tripartite agreement with a 3rd party who'd buy it out & lease it to the IAF with an option to buy it in say a decade from now . How's that for jugaad?

P.S - staying home as opposed to working from home coz our genius company which survives on JIT & imports all its raw materials from China and which like China is in shutdown mode since end January had made me more optimistic than you. My zone hadn't even sold a value as much as our salaries cost the company since end Jan. That's two months in a row. Yet we're receiving our salaries & allowances on time which has me an eternal optimist. Free to devote my intellect on such pressing matters as above.

May the IAF find such a benefactor too. May you continue to be an optimist. May I continue to receive my salary & incentives without performance.

Well then, all we've to do is either buy it outright from Airbus or lease it from them which seems unlikely. The 3rd option is to a tripartite agreement with a 3rd party who'd buy it out & lease it to the IAF with an option to buy it in say a decade from now . How's that for jugaad?

IAF is unlikely to buy the tankers. They want it in non-war situations, like training and exercises.

P.S - staying home as opposed to working from home coz our genius company which survives on JIT & imports all its raw materials from China and which like China is in shutdown mode since end January had made me more optimistic than you. My zone hadn't even sold a value as much as our salaries cost the company since end Jan. That's two months in a row. Yet we're receiving our salaries & allowances on time which has me an eternal optimist. Free to devote my intellect on such pressing matters as above.

May the IAF find such a benefactor too. May you continue to be an optimist. May I continue to receive my salary & incentives without performance.

Considering the pandemic, being optimistic is the best recourse.

Useless to the IAF. American tankers use the flying boom, while we use probe and drogue.

The aircraft comes with one probe attachment, but there's only 1 and it's dangerous.

It's suffered a ridiculous amount of crashes as well. Not to mention, very, very ancient.
Actually the US has a conversion kit for probe and dogue attachment to refuel their F-18 SH.
Screenshot_20200323-120858__01.jpg

Being an old platform is certainly a concern but it isn't going anywhere anytime soon as KC-46 is exponentially expensive.

Are our P8I capable to refuel from probe and drogue arrangement?

I think our C130J can. Other than those our Russian or French aircrafts, non depend upon boom system.

As in? Pls elaborate.

IAF plans to operate more tankers on their own, whenever they get the funds for it. The ownership of the tankers in question will remain with an Indian company, which will likely also use the aircraft for their own purposes.

What the IAF plans to do is use these leased tankers for training and exercises, which is of no operational significance. And then they will buy their own tankers later on, which they will use for actual operations. This will also free up the current lot of IL-78s for operations, so the flying hours are not wasted on the other trivial stuff.
Actually the US has a conversion kit for probe and dogue attachment to refuel their F-18 SH.
View attachment 14962
Being an old platform is certainly a concern but it isn't going anywhere anytime soon as KC-46 is exponentially expensive.

I've already pointed that out.

Are our P8I capable to refuel from probe and drogue arrangement?

I think our C130J can. Other than those our Russian or French aircrafts, non depend upon boom system.

P-8I can only use the boom. American refuelers will refuel it whenever or wherever possible.

In the AS and BoB, the P-8I doesn't need refuelling, the sortie rates are high enough. In the Andamans and SCS, American tankers are always available.

Anyway, this is the IN's headache, not the IAF's. They need something like the KC-45 actually, which has 1 boom and 2 probes. But I don't think the IN will actually go for a dedicated P-8I refueller. Not like they will have the money for it, considering that expensive carrier plan.

P-8I can only use the boom. American refuelers will refuel it whenever or wherever possible.

In the AS and BoB, the P-8I doesn't need refuelling, the sortie rates are high enough. In the Andamans and SCS, American tankers are always available.

Anyway, this is the IN's headache, not the IAF's. They need something like the KC-45 actually, which has 1 boom and 2 probes. But I don't think the IN will actually go for a dedicated P-8I refueller. Not like they will have the money for it, considering that expensive carrier plan.
If they plan to up the P-8i fleet to 24-30 , they'd definitely be thinking on the lines of getting a couple of tankers for operation in the SCS. This need not be an immediate requirement. But it's definitely a long term one.
IAF plans to operate more tankers on their own, whenever they get the funds for it. The ownership of the tankers in question will remain with an Indian company, which will likely also use the aircraft for their own purposes.

What the IAF plans to do is use these leased tankers for training and exercises, which is of no operational significance. And then they will buy their own tankers later on, which they will use for actual operations. This will also free up the current lot of IL-78s for operations, so the flying hours are not wasted on the other trivial stuff.

sounds like a cock eyed arrangement. Just like the proposal to utilize the Tanker as AWACS too. Which company is going to lease the IAF modified aircrafts as tankers for a few weeks a year merely so that they can exercise. What happens to both the options - Tanker cum AWACS & Dry Lease once war breaks out.

If they plan to up the P-8i fleet to 24-30 , they'd definitely be thinking on the lines of getting a couple of tankers for operation in the SCS. This need not be an immediate requirement. But it's definitely a long term one.

I think the fleet has been limited to 22 now, with UCAVs plugging the holes. And why would they buy tankers when the money is better used on more P-8Is instead.

A wide-body tanker is more expensive than the narrow-body P-8I. And since it's a small aircraft relatively, it can generate a pretty decent sortie rate.

sounds like a cock eyed arrangement. Just like the proposal to utilize the Tanker as AWACS too. Which company is going to lease the IAF modified aircrafts as tankers for a few weeks a year merely so that they can exercise. What happens to both the options - Tanker cum AWACS & Dry Lease once war breaks out.

The West follows this model already. It's because tankers are not always required and the aircraft can ferry passengers whenever required. It's quite profitable. Like playing with a friend's dog, without having to go through the hassle of feeding it and taking care of it.

The tanker cum AWACS won't be shared of course. This is a whole different program under AWACS-India.

During war, the leased tankers will likely be operated by the IAF themselves, which will be no different from using it during a long exercise or training, since future wars are expected to be short.

Possible solution to IAF tanker requirement:

AirTanker, the EADS-led consortium, has today signed a 27 year contract with the UK Ministry of Defence for the provision of air transport and air refuelling capability to the Royal Air Force. The AirTanker consortium has also completed its financing for the programme, raising approx £2.5 billion (EUR 3.2 billion) for investment in the fleet, a new state-of-the-art operational base and associated infrastructure.

The Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft (FSTA) programme includes the provision of a fleet of 14 new tanker aircraft, based on the latest generation Airbus A330-200 to enter service from 2011, replacing the previous fleet of VC-10 and Tristar refuelling aircraft. The contract also includes provision for all necessary infrastructure, training, maintenance, flight management, fleet management and ground services to enable the RAF to fly air-to-air refuelling and transport missions worldwide.

EADS-led AirTanker Consortium Signs 27 Year Air Refuelling Contract with the U.K. Ministry of Defence

About AirTanker

At AirTanker our primary role is to ensure the safe and effective operation of the RAF’s fleet of Voyager aircraft. Voyager is the largest aircraft in the RAF fleet and brings a step-change in capability. It is a dedicated air-to-air refuelling (AAR) platform and can also operate in air transport and aeromedical evacuation roles.

In 2008, we signed a 27-year contract with the Ministry of Defence to deliver and support 14 Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) aircraft, which operate as Voyager while in RAF service. Voyager is a variant of the Airbus A330-200 and represents a proven technology that extends the RAF’s strategic reach globally.

The service we provide underpins the RAF’s strategic and tactical operation of the aircraft. As well as aircraft delivery we are responsible for all aspects of Voyager’s operation from crew training and maintenance through to dispatch.

We have now delivered all 14 aircraft under the Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft (FSTA) contract. We’re proud that all 14 were delivered on time and on budget.

Nine of these aircraft form a ‘core fleet’ for the RAF. The five ‘non-core’ aircraft are available to the RAF but can also be made available to other parties. This can include providing military capability to other nations or through civil leasing. In this case the aircraft is converted into civilian configuration.

What we do

voyagertanking.jpg

Compared to our previous contract terms for 6 unit acquisition in 2013:

In January 2013, the Indian Air Force selected the A330 MRTT again. This time, the price of the contract had risen to around $1.5 billion.

IAF hunts for aerial refuellers, again: A saga of cancelled deals

Do the math. 6 unit purchase with an operational lifespan of 25-30 years for $1.5 billion or 14 unit lease for 27 years which includes maintenance, infrastructure and other services for $3.5 billion.

Good Day!

Attachments

Do the math. 6 unit purchase with an operational lifespan of 25-30 years for $1.5 billion or 14 unit lease for 27 years which includes maintenance, infrastructure and other services for $3.5 billion.

That's the same cost per aircraft, so the question is whether the purchase price includes maintenance, infrastructure, and other services, like the lease, or not.

Remember: if you lease from a company, that company is angling to get a profit out of it, one way or another.

That's the same cost per aircraft, so the question is whether the purchase price includes maintenance, infrastructure, and other services, like the lease, or not.

Remember: if you lease from a company, that company is angling to get a profit out of it, one way or another.

The price is from 2008 though. Totally irrelevant today.