Multi-Role Carrier Borne Fighter For The Indian Navy - Updates & Discussions

What should we select?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why is in unusable on the Vikramaditya?
Pls help yourself. Go to the first post on this very thread. By the time you get to this post, you can qualify to be a naval aviation expert. Currently a lot of the members here have achieved this rank. Then of course you have exceptions like Hydrocele but let's not go there.

All the best !

Last edited:
Mig-29K is STOBAR capable(INS Vikranaditya is STOBAR carrier) while Rafale-M operates from a CATOBAR carrier(Charles De Gaulle). How feasible it is for Rafale-M to operate on Vikramaditya, maybe @Picdelamirand-oil can clarify👍
So the Rafale's competitors propagated the idea that the Rafale's wingspan was 10.87m and so it couldn't use the lifts on your two aircraft carriers which are 10m wide.

If it was as simple as that do you think IN would not have realised?

If the tests took place, this problem had been solved before. As far as I know, for the Rafale the wingspan is 10.87 m with the missile launchers and the end missiles, 10.21 m if the missiles are removed, and 9.6 m if the missile launchers are also removed. So the competitors said that it would penalise operations too much, but removing or reassembling these missile launchers is no more complicated to do than for the pylons that are under the wings and yet pose no problem for anyone.

It is even likely that a Rafale will be ready more quickly than an F-18 SH because once the aircraft is on the deck we can start installing weapons under the wings immediately while other technicians install these missile launchers, whereas for the F-18 we will have to wait for the wings to be unfolded to start installing the weapons.

So the Rafale's competitors propagated the idea that the Rafale's wingspan was 10.87m and so it couldn't use the lifts on your two aircraft carriers which are 10m wide.

If it was as simple as that do you think IN would not have realised?

If the tests took place, this problem had been solved before. As far as I know, for the Rafale the wingspan is 10.87 m with the missile launchers and the end missiles, 10.21 m if the missiles are removed, and 9.6 m if the missile launchers are also removed. So the competitors said that it would penalise operations too much, but removing or reassembling these missile launchers is no more complicated to do than for the pylons that are under the wings and yet pose no problem for anyone.

It is even likely that a Rafale will be ready more quickly than an F-18 SH because once the aircraft is on the deck we can start installing weapons under the wings immediately while other technicians install these missile launchers, whereas for the F-18 we will have to wait for the wings to be unfolded to start installing the weapons.
Thank you! Those outer pylons do add a significant amount of width to the aircraft. Any idea how much more time the process of dismantling and re-attaching those pylons might take? I was thinking as well that IN might choose to fly some missions without those pylons. I mean, if they're not required then there's no point in flying with them. Although, I presume it would have an effect on the flight characteristics. Also, aircraft in the hangar can be stored without the outer pylons and they can be attached on the flight deck as a time saving measure.

Anyway, I really hope IN chooses the Rafale officially. It really is a beautiful aircraft.

Reactions: Sathya
I don't know if its the right thread, but what are the possibilities of 110/125 kN engine development partnership between Safran and DRDO being signed during the visit of Emmanuel Macron in March (as I got to know in the thread that Rafale deal for MRCBF tender is almost confirmed and hence the visit of Mr. Macron).

I don't know if its the right thread, but what are the possibilities of 110/125 kN engine development partnership between Safran and DRDO being signed during the visit of Emmanuel Macron in March (as I got to know in the thread that Rafale deal for MRCBF tender is almost confirmed and hence the visit of Mr. Macron).

Impossible to tell. But I hope a decision is made soon. The Rafale M victory will give France the engine advantage.

Reactions: Abheer
Twitter handle s are suggesting F4. 1 version.
F4.1 version is studied for "old" rafale, ie the 24 first of Egypt and older of France.
All new birds, produced nearly from 2016 more or less, including those of IAF, are ready for F4.2

About F4 : F4.1 tests are finished. The improvements will be spread in the coming months.

About F5 : the exact specifications will be fixed during the next 2 years, with a beginning very very soon.

Whats so special about ISE? I think IAF just want integration of few existing Israeli, Indian weapons, integration of IRST. Anything extra?
no. far more.
- integration of a low band jammer.
- integration of towed decoy
- integration of a new helmet
- job made for cold and high engine start
- new IRST (Rafale was already fitted with). This new Indian spec IRST is used for the new one for french F4.2
- maybe some new radar and Spectra modes.

• Informative
Reactions: Bali78

Does French Navy’s cryptic comment mean Rafales will soon deck INS Vikrant?

As the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, currently in the Indian Ocean, begins Indo-French naval exercise Varuna, speculation is rife that a formal contract for decking the naval version of Rafale fighter jets on the INS Vikrant, India’s brand new carrier could soon be on the cards.

1674049086852.png

Welcoming on board officers from the Indian Navy’s guided missile stealth frigate INS Teg on Monday, the French Carrier Strike Group signalled a major development in the offing for the strengthening of the Franco-Indian strategic partnership.

“Happy to sea you INS Teg. Beginning of our cooperation with Indian Navy. INS Teg is conducting operational drills with the French CSG in the Indian Ocean. Something BIG is coming between our two navies!” tweeted the official handle of French CSG.

Emmanuel Lenain, the Ambassador of France to India, also advised to “stay tuned for more!” as both navies kicked off the bilateral exercise on the Western seaboard on Monday.

Paris has time and again reaffirmed its engagement in the Indo-Pacific and India’s centrality in the French strategy for the region.

As reported by IndiaNarrative.com earlier, France is offering Dassault Aviation’s Rafale maritime fighter for carrier operations on India’s first indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier INS Vikrant.

1674049122231.png

French Defence Minister Sebastien Lecornu on board India’s first indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier INS Vikrant in Kochi in November (Image courtesy: Twitter/@SebLecornu)

Last November, French Defence Minister Sebastien Lecornu boarded the largest ship ever built in the maritime history of India to highlight the central role of naval cooperation between the two countries.

“France and India are united in their desire to defend their maritime sovereignty and guarantee freedom of movement at sea in the Indo-Pacific zone,” said the French Defence Minister.

While 2022 saw an acceleration of the French and Indian armed forces’ endeavours towards greater interoperability through joint air, navy, and army exercises, such as IMEX 22 (March), Varuna (March-April), and Garuda (October-November), 2023 has started with the conduct of the 21st edition of Varuna bilateral naval exercise.

1674049148696.png

(Image courtesy: Twitter/@French_CSG)
The five-day high tempo-naval operations at sea till January 20 will witness the participation of indigenous guided missile stealth destroyer INS Chennai, guided missile frigate INS Teg, maritime patrol aircraft P-8I and Dornier, integral helicopters and MiG29K fighter aircraft.

The French Navy is represented by the aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle, frigates FS Forbin and Provence, support vessel FS Marne and maritime patrol aircraft Atlantique.

According to the Indian Navy, the exercise will witness advanced air defence drills, tactical manoeuvres, surface firings, underway replenishment and other maritime operations.

“Units of both navies will endeavour to hone their war-fighting skills in maritime theatre, enhance their inter-operability to undertake multi-discipline operations in the maritime domain and demonstrate their ability as an integrated force to promote peace, security and stability in the region,” it said in a statement.

The exercise, it added, not only provides an opportunity to learn from each other’s best practices but also facilitates operational-level interaction between the two navies to foster mutual cooperation for good order at sea, underscoring the shared commitment of both nations to security, safety and freedom of the global maritime commons.

French Rafales Conduct Navy’s Longest Fighter Projection Into Asia

INGAPORE—Dassault Rafale M fighter jets embarked on French Navy carrier Charles de Gaulle have executed their longest force projection yet, flying 4,000 km (2,159 nm) from the Indian Ocean to Singapore. Under the banner of Mission Rastaban, three Rafale M departed the carrier as part of a naval exercice...

1674287249049.png

Rafale M conduct dissimilar air combat training with RSAF F-15SG and F-16s.

Would France part with nuclear submarine and nuclear powered aircraft carrier design along with nuclear reactors and co development of EMALS and next generation fighter engines...

If yes, why it didn't invite India for co development of FCAS instead of Germany...
I have already discussed this with randomradio, and the conclusion was that a co-development of India and France would cost India too much.

Based on these discussions I developed an approach that I thought would work for such cooperation and submitted it to the President of the French Republic.

The President's office passed the file to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and informed me that if there was a follow-up the Minister would inform me directly. I don't think that France will be able to follow up on this file as long as the failure of the cooperation with Germany is not officially recorded.

I don't think that France will be able to follow up on this file as long as the failure of the cooperation with Germany is not officially recorded.
Do tell us , as a veteran of the French defence industry , are the French really confident that they'd eventually come up with a successful FCAS program in collaboration with ze Germans?

Do tell us , as a veteran of the French defence industry , are the French really confident that they'd eventually come up with a successful FCAS program in collaboration with ze Germans?
I know Eric Trappier, he was my trainee and I trained him, and I know that he will not give in on the principles which allow Dassault to be successful (he did not give in to HAL for example), but that he will be accommodating for the rest as long as there are budgets to be taken. And then one day it will judge that it is no longer worth it and it will use all the studies already done to facilitate the start of a new, better defined project, which it will carry out twice as fast as in cooperation with Germany.

I know Eric Trappier, he was my trainee and I trained him, and I know that he will not give in on the principles which allow Dassault to be successful (he did not give in to HAL for example), but that he will be accommodating for the rest as long as there are budgets to be taken. And then one day it will judge that it is no longer worth it and it will use all the studies already done to facilitate the start of a new, better defined project, which it will carry out twice as fast as in cooperation with Germany.
What you're saying in effect will delay the program & push it to probably the mid 2040s , for apart from the technological barrier to be surmounted there's the budget to consider too which , in today's times is ,for lack of a better word , unpredictable .