People's Liberation Army Air Force : News & Discussions

According to some people, a Flanker is a turkey in modern battlespace whilst delta-canards are the perfect Flanker killers. Pakistani pilot just busted that bubble, IMO.

They are probably referring to the Typhoon and Rafale.

AESA radar, QWIP based IRST, carbon composite skin. Everything we're trying to implement in our Su-30 has already being done in J-16.

That's why Chinese rate is so highly. And now that Pakistani pilot confirms that J-16 is even a more dangerous opponent than J-10C.

The Chinese are way ahead now. J-16 is already a decade old.

Reactions: RASALGHUL

It's quite a bit misleading. While the P8I is American, the Romeos won't have American equipment. MQ9 is just a stopgap until we get our own drones. Small numbers are necessary to maintain communications with the Americans. All our surface and underwater ASW capability is non-American.

We are ensuring there's balance of capabilities.

IAF and IN must not operate American jets in large numbers, especially with ToT. It can only happen in very small numbers that can be mothballed if necessary. The IAF can entirely avoid American jets outside of 2 squadrons. The same for the IN. The IN's mandate is defensive in nature, and our only aggressive designs are on Pakistan. The US is unlikely to bother us over that. By the time the IN's mandate changes, the F-35 will have become old and replaceable.

The IAF needs it against China, so the restrictions will be limited. In any case, this is only if the IAF believes a capability like the F-35 is necessary alongside MRFA. While I don't think it's necessary, the IAF may differ.

For the IN, the F-35C is a better option compared to the Rafale. We are developing alternative, complementary capabilities via TEDBF anyway. It doesn't make sense to have 2 different TEDBFs at the same time, especially with the CATOBAR design being delayed.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
They are probably referring to the Typhoon and Rafale.
While all operational Delta-Canard fighters praise the Flanker:

Speaking shortly after his first encounter with the thrust vector equipped Su30-MKI, Typhoon pilot Flight Lieutenant Mike Highmoor had no doubt about the values of the bilateral exercise.

"This is fantastic. It is the first time I have flown against a Flanker this morning and it’s fascinating to see another air force do its thing in a different aeroplane. Flying against an aircraft which is equally comparable to the Typhoon is not something we get to fight against on a regular basis in the UK. It is very exciting. It (Su30-MKI) is an incredibly impressive fighter, but the Typhoon is a good match for it."

Operational Typhoon fighter calls Su-30MKI equally comparable as his Eurofighter.

Opinion of the Indian pilot after same exercise:

Squadron Leader Avi Arya, a Qualified Weapons Instructor responsible for training pilots on the radar and weapons systems of the Su-30, said: "Both are fourth generation aircraft and so are matched evenly, so the learning value comes from the person to person contact, it’s the man behind the machine which matters. All fighter pilots speak the same language, that’s the common thing we have and it’s very comfortable to learn from each other."

So both are matched evenly. These are people who actually fly both these planes. All interview are part of exercise Indradhanush 2015 where our Su-30MKI dominated British Typhoon in both WVR and BVR.

Link: IAF Sukhoi vs RAF Typhoon: Controversy in the skies
The Chinese are way ahead now. J-16 is already a decade old.
A decade old and we're still trying to catch up.

While all operational Delta-Canard fighters praise the Flanker:

Operational Typhoon fighter calls Su-30MKI equally comparable as his Eurofighter.

Opinion of the Indian pilot after same exercise:

So both are matched evenly. These are people who actually fly both these planes. All interview are part of exercise Indradhanush 2015 where our Su-30MKI dominated British Typhoon in both WVR and BVR.

Link: IAF Sukhoi vs RAF Typhoon: Controversy in the skies

A decade old and we're still trying to catch up.
typhoon vs su30MKI.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: _Anonymous_
In 2007, Su-30MKI engaged with Tornado and not with Typhoon. During 2011 exercise ID, Typhoon won because Su-30MKI didn't employ TVC and its full maneuvering envelope.

But during Indradhanush 2015, Su-30MKI gave NATO's second best fighter a thrashing that it shall never forget. 12:0, lol. And one Su-30MKI was able to defeat two Typhoons in WVR, almost an unheard of thing.

Read this link to know about this exercise and what RAF pilots thought about Su-30MKI: IAF Sukhoi vs RAF Typhoon: Controversy in the skies

In 2007, Su-30MKI engaged with Tornado and not with Typhoon. During 2011 exercise ID, Typhoon won because Su-30MKI didn't employ TVC and its full maneuvering envelope.

But during Indradhanush 2015, Su-30MKI gave NATO's second best fighter a thrashing that it shall never forget. 12:0, lol. And one Su-30MKI was able to defeat two Typhoons in WVR, almost an unheard of thing.

Read this link to know about this exercise and what RAF pilots thought about Su-30MKI: IAF Sukhoi vs RAF Typhoon: Controversy in the skies
The link you provided saying this
"In Within Visual Range scenarios, the Su3-MKI is expected to excel against the Typhoon because it is a highly manouevrable aircraft. But when it comes to longer-range combat exercises, the Sukhois have been 'less successful'.

And this too
"The kill ratio depends on how the scenario has been set up, with the Rules Of Engagement affecting the number of simulated kills. These kill ratio claims (of the IAF) should be taken with a grain of salt since they are often used for internal propaganda and marketing purposes and they have very little value unless we have some details about the scenario, the supporting assets involved in the engagement (AWACS, Electronic Warfare platforms, Ground Controlled Interceptors, etc.) and the rules of engangement"

Lastly for your propoganda

Squadron Leader Avi Arya, a Qualified Weapons Instructor responsible for training pilots on the radar and weapons systems of the Su-30, said: "Both are fourth generation aircraft and so are matched evenly, so the learning value comes from the person to person contact, it’s the man behind the machine which matters. All fighter pilots speak the same language, that’s the common thing we have and it’s very comfortable to learn from each other."

Reactions: Innominate

But the 9:1 kill ratio achieved by Indians pilots against USAF fighters during the Cope India 04, was also reached thanks to their skills as USAF Colonel Greg Newbech said: “What we’ve seen in the last two weeks is the IAF can stand toe-to-toe with the best air force in the world. I pity the pilot who has to face the IAF and chances the day to underestimate him; because he won’t be going home. They made good decisions about when to bring their strikers in. The MiG-21s would be embedded with a (MiG-27) Flogger for integral protection. There was a data link between the Flankers that was used to pass information. They built a very good (radar) picture of what we were doing and were able to make good decisions about when to roll (their aircraft) in and out.”

Reactions: Ironhide
The link you provided saying this
"In Within Visual Range scenarios, the Su3-MKI is expected to excel against the Typhoon because it is a highly manouevrable aircraft. But when it comes to longer-range combat exercises, the Sukhois have been 'less successful'.

And this too
"The kill ratio depends on how the scenario has been set up, with the Rules Of Engagement affecting the number of simulated kills. These kill ratio claims (of the IAF) should be taken with a grain of salt since they are often used for internal propaganda and marketing purposes and they have very little value unless we have some details about the scenario, the supporting assets involved in the engagement (AWACS, Electronic Warfare platforms, Ground Controlled Interceptors, etc.) and the rules of engangement"

Lastly for your propoganda

It's starting to get old and boring hearing about how this fighter is sooo super duper maneuverable that its dog fighting capabilities is unrivaled as if we're still living in the 90's. Dogfighting really is dead in todays air combat. WVR and dogfighting are not the same thing. If for some stupid reason you get into a WVR fight in todays air combat with latest avionics, missiles and HMD/JHMCS a turning fight will not be necessary. I don't know about Russian or Indian BVR missiles but modern US BVR missiles are all HOBS capable .

F-18 with two tanks was able to get on the six of a clean Rafale for a gun kill. F-18 was able to gun kill a SU-30MKM... a lot of BS claims about a certain fighters maneuverability down the toilet. F-22/F-35 pilot said it best (paraphrasing) information/SA is life not speed or agility and I'd be surprised if any fighter pilot disagreed with me.

• Haha
Reactions: _Anonymous_
It's starting to get old and boring hearing about how this fighter is sooo super duper maneuverable that its dog fighting capabilities is unrivaled as if we're still living in the 90's. Dogfighting really is dead in todays air combat. WVR and dogfighting are not the same thing. If for some stupid reason you get into a WVR fight in todays air combat with latest avionics, missiles and HMD/JHMCS a turning fight will not be necessary. I don't know about Russian or Indian BVR missiles but modern US BVR missiles are all HOBS capable .

F-18 with two tanks was able to get on the six of a clean Rafale for a gun kill. F-18 was able to gun kill a SU-30MKM... a lot of BS claims about a certain fighters maneuverability down the toilet. F-22/F-35 pilot said it best (paraphrasing) information/SA is life not speed or agility and I'd be surprised if any fighter pilot disagreed with me.
Hold that thought sweetie for you'd be tested severely by a peer ( not us lesser mortals ) in the near future where all your doctrines , assessments , superiority of your entire Aerospace ecosystem what to speak of individual Fighter Aircrafts or Bombers , assumptions , etc would get a reality check .

Hope for your sake you survive that encounter for when 2 peers clash survival in itself is victory. It's also known as Pyrrhic Victory after the legendary Pyrrhus of Epirus who after winning one such close bruising battle against the Romans declared - another such victory & I shall be utterly ruined .

For perspective look no further than the fate that befell UK & France after WW-2 . If the US didn't play Santa , Paddy like his folks would be standing in queue to take a dump at the common latrine in his tenement. No such fairy ( pun intended ) would come to your aid post victory .

Now run along little one & leave strategy to more mature minds here while you keep your eyes glued to the sky for another "UFO" the Chinese may have sent across your way . Keep us posted on how you saved earth & mankind .

He is a fan boy of Russian equipment, thats it.

Maybe rather than lecturing me that dogfight is dead, you should write a public missive to US government and tell them to shut "Top Gun".

Once they do that then I shall acknowledge dogfighting is dead. Or else, shut the hell up.

Anyways, our Su-30s not ONLY decimated Typhoons in dogfight(12:0) but also dominated them in LFE BVR fight too. So your point is still moot.
Could be a Russian guy too
No Jack a full blooded Sanatani Hindu.
What was the result though?
Tornado(s) got clobbered by our Su-30s.

No Jack a full blooded Sanatani Hindu.
There are lot of hindus in Russia too, hindu doesn't means that an Indian. I beleive you are a Russian guy working for some Russian weapon industry.

There is nothing wrong in revealing your true identity if you are foreign national & part of a firm (directly or indirectly ).

@Picdelamirand-oil every body in this forum except some American /British guys respect him from our heart. He didn't come here as an indian and advertising for french weapons, thats the courage you need to have.

By the way what you mean by sanatani.

There are lot of hindus in Russia too, hindu doesn't means that an Indian. I beleive you are a Russian guy working for some Russian weapon industry.

There is nothing wrong in revealing your true identity if you are foreign national & part of a firm (directly or indirectly ).

@Picdelamirand-oil every body in this forum except some American /British guys respect him from our heart. He didn't come here as an indian and advertising for french weapons, thats the courage you need to have.

@Rajput Lion Hydra, Got you?:p:p

• Haha
Reactions: Rajput Lion

There is no shame in accepting that you are a member of Hydra.😂😅

Maybe rather than lecturing me that dogfight is dead, you should write a public missive to US government and tell them to shut "Top Gun".

Once they do that then I shall acknowledge dogfighting is dead. Or else, shut the hell up.

Anyways, our Su-30s not ONLY decimated Typhoons in dogfight(12:0) but also dominated them in LFE BVR fight too. So your point is still moot.

That's a good point you make . As usual the Americans learn little from their own rich war time history . The F-4 introduced minus internal cannons is another good case in point. The US thought with the advent of missiles , cannons were a relic of the past as was close range dogfighting , yada yada till the VietCong made the American pilots think of JC every time they crossed paths with them in the skies.

A few phantoms phantommed by VietCong braves using archaic FA's like the Frescos & Farmers ie MiG -17 & MiG-19 & the US was scrambling to retro fit in a cannon . Earlier the aptly named Fagot trumped the US FAs in the Korean war till the Sabres rushed there by the US stemmed the haemorrhaging somewhat .

Bunch of trailer park clowns assigned for project management & battlefield tactics . Isn't it sweetie ? @Innominate

6 decades on , the same thinking persists . No dogfighting , first see first shoot , home safe & dry . As if the Chinese or the Russians discovered air warfare yesterday morning .