Shivalik Class (Project 17 A/B) & Talwar Class Frigates

Why do these guys keep using the older design for the p17a?..is it still on the table or did they just keep it there because it looks cool or just plain lazy?

Attachments

• 20200813_163710.jpg
    20200813_163710.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 254
@vstol Jockey pardon me if it is discussed already or if i am.talking rubbish.
What is the need of 76mm or 126 mm naval gun in modern warfare? Now day no one gonna fight in sea lik what peoples were used to do in WWII. Its an era missiles & torpedoes, why Naval vessels still using a gun which is handicapped with range, rate of fire & accuracy? Why don't we replace these guns with a AK630 ( I know naval vessels do have such weapons on port & starboard side of ship), which is having dual use.
Atleast we can replace 76mm guns of small ships with AK630s. Ships like INS Vibhuthi...

What is the need of 76mm or 126 mm naval gun in modern warfare? Now day no one gonna fight in sea lik what peoples were used to do in WWII. Its an era missiles & torpedoes, why Naval vessels still using a gun which is handicapped with range, rate of fire & accuracy? Why don't we replace these guns with a AK630 ( I know naval vessels do have such weapons on port & starboard side of ship), which is having dual use.
Atleast we can replace 76mm guns of small ships with AK630s. Ships like INS Vibhuthi...
These guns are there to stop minor vessels from coming close to a warship. They are defensive weapons and not offensive.

Why are our ships so poorly armed for their tonnage I can't help but wonder.
Compared to Russia or European or American design agencies, we are still not good enough. Our ships have much lower automation and a lot of redundancy in the form of manual efforts. But then again they might not be as heavily armed as a Type052D but P15a/b have good enough weaponry.

It's up to the navy to decide what the requirements and threat perceptions are. If they think the firepower is enough then it is. They can always rearm since the space is available.

It's up to the navy to decide what the requirements and threat perceptions are. If they think the firepower is enough then it is. They can always rearm since the space is available.
Why not arm those ships to the fullest potential from their very inception?? Why wait for a threat to come knocking at the doors before we decide to upgrade?? I'll never get this reactionary mindset.

These guns are there to stop minor vessels from coming close to a warship. They are defensive weapons and not offensive.
Means its more for a warning shot, am i right.

Kill boats and ships that approach the ship. Provide indirect fire support for marine landings. They can also provide air defence.
76mm cannot be used for air defense. 30mm gatling gun will be ideal for that. I am also saying the same, if we install ak630 in place of 76mm we can effectively use for anti aircraft aswell as approaching vessels too.

Our current crop of ships are based on older designs. Like the destroyers are all based on a design made in the 80s. We need new class of ships that can meet your expectations.

Anyway, our destroyers and frigates are adequately armed for fighting at sea.

76mm cannot be used for air defense. 30mm gatling gun will be ideal for that.

76mm was a very common calibre for air defence.

I am also saying the same, if we install ak630 in place of 76mm we can effectively use for anti aircraft aswell as approaching vessels too.

AK-630 maxes out at 5Km, while the 76mm can fire all the way up to 40Km.

76mm was a very common calibre for air defence.

AK-630 maxes out at 5Km, while the 76mm can fire all the way up to 40Km.
You will not use 40km range for accurate firing. A few 60km range missile can do better surfaces to surface job than artillery shell when comes to anti ship role.

Our current crop of ships are based on older designs. Like the destroyers are all based on a design made in the 80s. We need new class of ships that can meet your expectations.
I know that already and I wasn't talking about current ships that are already in service but the ones that are under development i.e. P17A FFGs and P 15B DDGs.
Anyway, our destroyers and frigates are adequately armed for fighting at sea.
Yeah, against Pakistan may be.

I know that already and I wasn't talking about current ships that are already in service but the ones that are under development i.e. P17A FFGs and P 15B DDGs.

I am referring to those ships you named. They are all modifications of older ships. The A, B, etc are all the same hull designs. The number has to change for a brand new class.

We need entirely new classes to get what you want.

Yeah, against Pakistan may be.

Why don't you look up the actual anti-ship capabilities of other ships?

I am referring to those ships you named. They are all modifications of older ships. The A, B, etc are all the same hull designs. The number has to change for a brand new class.
The P17A has a completely different hull design compared to P 17s.
We need entirely new classes to get what you want.
They are new classes.

Why don't you look up the actual anti-ship capabilities of other ships?
You mean other ships like Arleigh Burke or Type 052D?? Yeah, I've looked up their weapon loadouts which happen to be better by orders of magnitude, thank you very much.

Last edited:
The P17A has a completely different hull design compared to P 17s.

They are new classes.

You mean other ships like Arleigh Burke or Type 052D?? Yeah, I've looked up their weapon loadouts which happen to be better by orders of magnitude, thank you very much.
Are u sure about p17a & p15b? I think tgese ships having common hull w.r.t their former classes.
Our frigates & destroyers are just match for pakistan, against other players i doubt it. Countries like Japan, S Korea & china have very potent surface fleets. Its high time for us invest more on navy.
I think our war planners are too much depending upon Brahmos for tge naval solution.

The shore bombardment is now taken care of by aircraft after the introduction of aircraft carriers. The WW-1 ships did not have air compliment and needed big guns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hydra
Are u sure about p17a & p15b? I think tgese ships having common hull w.r.t their former classes.
P 15B shares the same hull configuration with its predecessor but P 17As are different as far as I can recall or at least they are supposed to be.
Our frigates & destroyers are just match for pakistan, against other players i doubt it. Countries like Japan, S Korea & china have very potent surface fleets. Its high time for us invest more on navy.
I agree wholeheartedly.
I think our war planners are too much depending upon Brahmos for tge naval solution.
And Barak 8 and there won't be any problem with that, really except for their pitiful numbers per ship!!

Last edited:
The shore bomanrdment is now taken care of by aircraft after the introduction of aircraft carriers. The WW-1 ships did not have air compliment and needed big guns.
Sir what is the present scenario? Are we really need such gun in a ship. Atleast we can remove it from Guided missile destroyers & frigate.
P 15B shares the same hull configuration with its predecessor but P 17As are different as far as I can recall or at least they are supposed to be.

I agree wholeheartedly.

And Barak 8 and there won't be any problem with that, really except for their pitiful numbers per ship!!
Brahmos is an old platform, we have to start new type of smart missiles. Norwegian NSM & upcoming agm158c or its ship variants are good examples. Its EW counter measures matters in modern warfare.