Shivalik Class (Project 17 A/B) & Talwar Class Frigates

Probably a company was hired to make the poster design, and they made whatever they wanted.

They just used the same old CGI which has been floating on internet for 5+ years.

Project-17A.jpg

Would be nice to see a new design though.

The mast on the real ship will look exactly the same as Kolkata/Vizag class.

This is an 'official' CGI by DND:

D38R4HvUcAATWi9.jpg:large

And the scale model:

img_20180411_103508-marked-jpg.2377

Project%2B17A%2BFFG-2.jpg

...give you an idea of the actual design. Unfortunately, for whatever reason they seem to have abandoned the stealthy, flush superstructure in the mid-section (which on the Shivalik served to enclose the RHIB bay):

D8HA4B1UIAAy3IE

...the P-17A appears to have significantly less signature management in that portion because of that.

D8HAzTWU8AArkew

The fore deck though (bow) is properly 'flush', kinda similar to FREMM in that way.

They just used the same old CGI which has been floating on internet for 5+ years.

Project-17A.jpg

The mast on the real ship will look exactly the same as Kolkata/Vizag class.

This is an 'official' CGI by DND:

D38R4HvUcAATWi9.jpg:large

And the scale model:

img_20180411_103508-marked-jpg.2377

Project%2B17A%2BFFG-2.jpg

...give you an idea of the actual design. Unfortunately, for whatever reason they seem to have abandoned the stealthy, flush superstructure in the mid-section (which on the Shivalik served to enclose the RHIB bay):

D8HA4B1UIAAy3IE

...the P-17A appears to have significantly less signature management in that portion because of that.

D8HAzTWU8AArkew

The fore deck though (bow) is properly 'flush', kinda similar to FREMM in that way.

Yeah, now I remember that old design.

Dunno why they designed the smoke stacks that way though.

You got a ship dedicated to you @Nilgiri. Congrats.:D
The flush deck looks stunning. But we all know they are going to add rails on that thing and it won't be truly flush anymore.

Also the reason for the removal of the RHIB bay isn't something I can comprehend. It feels like a step in the wrong direction.

What is the secondary radar ? Wasn't it supposed to be BEL-Indra LANZA ? It looks like a Thales SMART-L in the CGI.

You got a ship dedicated to you @Nilgiri. Congrats.:D
The flush deck looks stunning. But we all know they are going to add rails on that thing and it won't be truly flush anymore.

Also the reason for the removal of the RHIB bay isn't something I can comprehend. It feels like a step in the wrong direction.

What is the secondary radar ? Wasn't it supposed to be BEL-Indra LANZA ? It looks like a Thales SMART-L in the CGI.
Rails i think is ok - as long its a flush deck
download (1).jpg

Daring Class

@Ashwin @ni8mare

If this design is final product - we can see a number of changes to the original P17

1) Of course the redesign of the Mid Section - must admit a flush profile with integrated RHIB Bay would be better - Still we do see large Doors in this section - what would they be?
2) From Wiki - we are seeing 32Cell barak 2 - 16 ahead and 16 mid section
3) Position of the AK630 has move towards the rear of the Hanger ( previously mid section as seen on P17)
4) Single Hanger Door - must to accommodate the AK630 . Does this mean we shall see only single helicopter that this class can carry?
5) Flush desk :)

• Agree
Reactions: Ashwin
Even that as shown would be great. But that's not what were are getting. We are getting rails from the fore superstructure to the tip of the front end. Why not just use a NATO like system ? Using safety lines for seamen on the deck and no rails.
1) Of course the redesign of the Mid Section - must admit a flush profile with integrated RHIB Bay would be better - Still we do see large Doors in this section - what would they be?
533 mm Torpedo tubes ?
From Wiki - we are seeing 32Cell barak 2 - 16 ahead and 16 mid section
Barak 8, you mean ? About the recently announced VL-Astra. I wonder which ship would be the first to get it.

• Agree
Reactions: GuardianRED
On the whole VERY impressive stuff regarding P17A

+ block construction across multiple sites across India. Massively expedites construction as well as reducing the number of single points of failure. This is exactly who the QE class was built by BAE. Hopefully this is the way all future large IN vessels are constructed
+ multiple yards (GRSE and MDL) again much of the benefits above, need to see a lot more of this kind of foreword thinking. Would’ve been nice if instead of needles Talwar deal they’d just given GSL the contract for 3-4 additional P17As. 10-11 of these beasts would be an awesome capability

I’m only a bit disappointed by the fact that it seems as though the IN has designed the P17A to have only 1 hanger which is a huge hinderance for ASW ops which is a big part of this ship’s role. Traditionally all large vessels of the IN have had 2 hangers even this class’s predecessor- the P17!

Also given the emerging threat environment, 32 SAMS seems on the low side.

View attachment 10108
Daring Class

@Ashwin @ni8mare

If this design is final product - we can see a number of changes to the original P17

2) From Wiki - we are seeing 32Cell barak 2 - 16 ahead and 16 mid section
3) Position of the AK630 has move towards the rear of the Hanger ( previously mid section as seen on P17)
4) Single Hanger Door - must to accommodate the AK630 . Does this mean we shall see only single helicopter that this class can carry?
5) Flush desk :)

dde8e5e7bde1.jpg

eeqlw2yxoaaudwr-jpeg.10104

• Removal of the RHIB bay (wtf!)
  • Single hanger
  • Less number of SAMs ? (32 X Barak 1 + 24 Shtil-1) to 32 Barak 8
  • Forward VLS cells are not elevated
  • 3D radar will be Indra LANZA Tata Power SED
  • MFSTAR Gopuram ;)

Even that as shown would be great. But that's not what were are getting. We are getting rails from the fore superstructure to the tip of the front end. Why not just use a NATO like system ? Using safety lines for seamen on the deck and no rails.

533 mm Torpedo tubes ?

Barak 8, you mean ? About the recently announced VL-Astra. I wonder which ship would be the first to get it.
Sorry My bad Barak 8

Regarding Torpedo Tubes - possible.

Heck we still dont have any visual confirmation of this tubes on the Original P17

dde8e5e7bde1.jpg

eeqlw2yxoaaudwr-jpeg.10104

• Removal of the RHIB bay (wtf!)
  • Single hanger
  • Less number of SAMs ? (32 X Barak 1 + 24 Shtil-1) to 32 Barak 8
  • Forward VLS cells are not elevated
  • 3D radar will be Indra LANZA Tata Power SED
  • MFSTAR Gopuram ;)
download (2).jpg

This will help :)

Can they wait that long? Right now IN is running a competition to get foreign SRSAM/point defence missiles on that class. VL-Astra is at least 3-5 years away.

Welcome back.

And yeah, I would like to correct myself. IN plans to import 4 systems, and that's gonna go on the Kamorta class. So the VL-Astra will likely end up on all the NGMVs and NGCs instead.

Didn't Livefist recently tweet about the MBDA sea captor and some South Korean AD contest for the Kamorta's AD ?

IN showed a requirement for 15 systems. Four of them to be imported. Thus imported for Kamorta.

^^^

Yep. Forgot about the imports.

Reactions: Abingdonboy