Some thoughts on the PLAAF,after the war between Russia and Ukraine

LX1111

May 12, 2021
china
The Russo-Ukrainian war was different from any previous war in its ferocity and the large-scale use of new technologies, which represented the beginning of a new era. I'm here to discuss the implications for PLA, and PLAAF in particular

Schitts Creek Please GIF by CBC

Reactions: Aditya10r
In the Russia-Ukrainian war, I think the most important thing to discuss is the Air Force's ground strike capability, VKS used the su 34 at the beginning of the war, But the existence of the su-34 is puzzling. Russia's main use seems to be low-altitude penetration, CAS combat with rockets and ordinary bombs.

Last edited:
A lot of people compare Su 34 to F 15E ,
I think this is inappropriate, he should be similar to F 111, the implementation of the front-line bombing aviation mission, Similar to Fig. 2 Fast bombEr during the Great Patriotic War

In general, the Russian Air Force uses the Su-34 by low-altitude penetration and conventional rockets and bombs.

This can be seen in the design of the aircraft, its cab has a huge, titanium armor protection, To defend against small caliber antiaircraft guns and machine guns
1720672509361.jpeg

But as we all saw, a large number of Su-34s were shot down, and as of today, Russia has lost 27 Su-34s, 20% of his total, these losses are unacceptable, expect given that the war is far from over, I think we can start with the first example of the war to explain why Su 34 lost the war

1720672951943.jpeg

A Russian pilot was captured, and he was a honored pilot on the battlefield in Syria
1720672948900.jpeg

And the bombs he used were these
w700d1q75cms (3) (1).jpg

w700d1q75cms.jpg

It is possible to speculate that the pilot was decorated in Syria because he was able to drop ordinary bombs at very low altitudes, And hit the target accurately, which is also reflected in Chinese and Russian Military exercises, their pilots often boast, The ops- 26 system can be used to drop ordinary bombs with the accuracy of precision-guided weapons
But the tactic failed on the battlefield in Ukraine
First of all, the reason for ultra-low-altitude penetration, the main reason is that the early aircraft radar, the ground clutter can not be well filtered
Today, however, the Ukrainian Air Force does not have modern advanced fighters, but there are still a considerable number of Su-27 and MiG-29, These late Soviet aircraft were better at detecting ground targets and could attack less maneuverable aircraft such as the Su-34. That means it is no longer safe to fly at very low altitudes, and Ukraine's large number of man-portable anti-aircraft missiles poses a deadly threat to low-flying fighter jets and helicopters

In the future, over-the-horizon strikes in mid-air will be the main means of attack for the Air Force

In the future, over-the-horizon strikes in mid-air will be the main means of attack for the Air Force
What do you have to say about the combination of automatic terrain following at very low altitude and high speed, with AASMs that allow you to fire from a distance? Functions that are available to Indians.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
What do you have to say about the combination of automatic terrain following at very low altitude and high speed, with AASMs that allow you to fire from a distance? Functions that are available to Indians.
This approach sounds novel, but it's not the future. First of all, you talk about automatic terrain scanning function, Taiwan also often advertise their F16V has this function, but it is only a kind of auxiliary driving capability, followed by AASM missile, this is a rocket boost bomb, but its launch at ultra-low altitude must not get his due range, still let the enemy's large number of short-range air defense weapons shot down

This approach sounds novel, but it's not the future. First of all, you talk about automatic terrain scanning function, Taiwan also often advertise their F16V has this function, but it is only a kind of auxiliary driving capability, followed by AASM missile, this is a rocket boost bomb, but its launch at ultra-low altitude must not get his due range, still let the enemy's large number of short-range air defense weapons shot down
I'm not talking about the automatic terrain-scanning function, but automatic terrain-following at low altitude (100 feet) and high speed (600 knots). What's more, the AASM can be launched after a pop-up, like the Mig 29 in Ukraine, if you want to extend the range to 60 km.

The Russo-Ukrainian war was different from any previous war in its ferocity and the large-scale use of new technologies, which represented the beginning of a new era. I'm here to discuss the implications for PLA, and PLAAF in particular
In fercity I'm not sure.
Nothing in common with Barbarossa (and the Shoah) or ww2 Pacific campaign.

New technologies? Mainly the massive use of drones, and a confirmation of how usefull is Himars like systems, and rapid fire and long range artillery.

I'm not talking about the automatic terrain-scanning function, but automatic terrain-following at low altitude (100 feet) and high speed (600 knots). What's more, the AASM can be launched after a pop-up, like the Mig 29 in Ukraine, if you want to extend the range to 60 km.
What you are talking about is ultimately an auxiliary driving function. There are two main reasons why ultra-low altitude flight will be eliminated in the future. Firstly, with the improvement of radar performance in fighter jets and early warning aircraft, it is difficult to hide targets using ground clutter. Secondly, with the popularization of CEC capability, future air defense missiles can achieve the ability to intercept ultra-low altitude targets from a distance through the relay signal of early warning aircraft. However, the Rafale fighter has not solved these two threats.

• Haha
Reactions: suryakiran
What is the difference between the attack of AASM and Russian aircraft launched rockets? AASM has higher accuracy, with two guidance modes of IR and GPS, and may add data links in the future. But what are the improvements in the survivability of this aircraft, and I never believed that a bomb equipped only with rocket boosters and no gliding ability could fly 60 kilometers at ultra-low altitudes,Even if it's like the MiG-29, providing initial energy to gusts of wind through climbing

In fercity I'm not sure.
Nothing in common with Barbarossa (and the Shoah) or ww2 Pacific campaign.

New technologies? Mainly the massive use of drones, and a confirmation of how usefull is Himars like systems, and rapid fire and long range artillery.
This war is like the Spanish Civil War, although both sides have made many foolish actions, it still heralds the arrival of a new era

What you are talking about is ultimately an auxiliary driving function. There are two main reasons why ultra-low altitude flight will be eliminated in the future. Firstly, with the improvement of radar performance in fighter jets and early warning aircraft, it is difficult to hide targets using ground clutter. Secondly, with the popularization of CEC capability, future air defense missiles can achieve the ability to intercept ultra-low altitude targets from a distance through the relay signal of early warning aircraft. However, the Rafale fighter has not solved these two threats.
Early warning aircraft will not detect Rafale at long range because Rafale is LO and use actve cancellation in addition to ground clutter so these plane will be shot down by long range air to air missile fire by Rafale before they detect it. So future ground-to-air missiles will be blinded by the earth's rotundity.

and I never believed that a bomb equipped only with rocket boosters and no gliding ability could fly 60 kilometers at ultra-low altitudes,Even if it's like the MiG-29, providing initial energy to gusts of wind through climbing
I don't care if you don't believe it, it's official information from the manufacturer, it only depends on the energy of the booster which is transformed into potential energy and allows the AASM to glide to its target as if it were being launched from high altitude, because the AASM, which is almost supersonic, glides at these speeds with its stumps, even if it's not as good as with a deployable wing kit.

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan