Tejas Mk2 (Medium Weight Fighter) - News and discussions

Wrong. In su 35 there is extensive use composites in wings and fuselage too. MKIs will never have them.

Lol. The Russians themselves claimed they reduced RCS by treating the inlets and canopy with RAM.

And no, you got the details on service ceiling wrong too.

I am of two opinion on that. While I will welcome use of composites wherever possible in Airframe of mki during upgrade the problem is any change in airframe will increase the time of upgradation manifolds. So IAF may opt against it. Anyways it the RCS still will not come at the level of Su35.

In MMRCA we will get AESA version of Irbis E version ( Chinese too got it) and even Byelka system. Selection of su 35 in MMRCA will not only give us best 4.5 gen but it will also help us in upgrading our MKIs to next level.

Maybe, maybe not. In either case inferior to su 35. Reason already given.

Just a myth. European technology can not come close to US or Russian ones as both of the latter put far more money than the formers in R&D. There is nothing in Rafale F4.1 or 4.2 which will be more advance than Byelka systems.

All your arguments rest on an aircraft that's useless to the IAF and an aircraft that's fiction.

Cheers.

DSI does not equal stealth ! (Its a myth perpetuated by JF worshipers). DSI contributes to better air intake characteristics which are dependent on the overall design of the fighter.

For example, DSI is not optimal for supercruise designs like F-22. LM had the technology matured back in the early 90's. They choose not to integrate it with the stealthiest fighter ever designed. But F-35 design is a perfect candidate for DSI because it is subsonically optimized. Even for the AMCA design we chose not to use it.

Read else where , DSI main advantage is reducing radar cross section.

there is no significant weight reduction, not even in 10x kg. I was hoping wt reduction.
Lol. The Russians themselves claimed they reduced RCS by treating the inlets and canopy with RAM.

All your arguments rest on an aircraft that's useless to the IAF and an aircraft that's fiction.

Cheers.

Didnt we develop the canopy tint for RCS reduction?
Yeah why don't our tejas having that.

I read about it long back.. 5 or more years back..

Stealth is not important for Su30MKI, it's an air superiority fighter. It offsets it's larger RCS using it's better radar. Lack of longer range AAM was the problem.

But look at it this way. Unlike a F16 of PAF which will be carrying drop tanks too , Su30MKI won't . It means the RCS of F16 or of J10 too will be much larger.

Further a strong EW system and more powerful engines with 3D thrust and longer range AAMs will be more than enough.

Is it not possible to introduce DSI intake in MKI, few composite parts such as doors, quatz radome and stealthy canopy etc to reduce RCS.

DSI is not possible, it doesn't help reduce RCS anyway. But a radar blocker might be possible. Can't say yet.

Everything else will likely be done.

Uttam is scalable so can be used as aesa.

It may become an option for future upgrade phases. Current one's configuration has already been finalised AFAIK. And it's better to stick with Russian for now, especially considering the engine upgrade.

We can negotiate a deal with Russia to uprate engine using DSM 4 SCB developed in house.

That will require us giving up our own tech to Russia, which is not in our interest. The Russians have a decent engine anyway, so why pay them money to give up our own technology to them?

Didnt we develop the canopy tint for RCS reduction?
Yeah why don't our tejas having that.

I read about it long back.. 5 or more years back..

Dunno. Probably FOC or Mk1A will have it. Mk1 IOC is pretty basic. Maybe even FOC Mk1 will not come with it, since IAF has asked for a new canopy.

Reactions: Sathya
Ofcourse using RAM in canopy and inlets will reduce RCS. But so does use of composites in wings and fuselage .
Since mki will never have them hence they will never match su35 in this area.
Plus your statement of su 35 having composite materials only in inlets and canopy is still incorrect.
L
I got it perfectly right. But would welcome a counter with an authenticated source.
L

Cheers.
After so many fallacies in argument pointed out by me and having no answers to my rock solid facts it was expected.
By the way sir you have keep reiterating these two arguments despite the fact that I have told you so many utilities of Su 35 and have proven through arguments that ORCA is very much possible and even now we could perceive it to exists in form of different parts in different programs. But it seems you don't want to accept that. So let us end it here. You seems to get tired of this debate and so do I.
I will rest my case by saying that no matter what, a combo of Su 35 and ORCA will be superior in every aspect ( capabilities, strategic, economic, indigenisation) than an insanely expensive low flying and less agile Rafale.

Cheers.

Stealth is not important for Su30MKI, it's an air superiority fighter. It offsets it's larger RCS using it's better radar.

Okay, that reason is not sufficient. The F-22 is also an air superiority fighter. So having low RCS is a very good thing, no matter which role the fighter jet was designed for.

It's desirable to bring MKI's RCS down to as much as possible. Both Mig-29S and F-16 A/B's 5m2 RCS were brought down to 1m2. Su-35 is also rumoured to be 1m2, or around that region. And MKI won't be able to compete with aircraft like Rafale and Typhoon with reduced observable characteristics, ie, well below 1m2, due to a 100-200 times difference in RCS. So it makes sense to bring that down to just 10-20 times instead, if not even lesser.

When an aircraft enters combat, the drop tanks are dropped, so the effective RCS is just aircraft + missiles. And modern missiles have much lower RCS than before. For example, the ASRAAM is somewhere in the region of 0.01m2 or even 0.001m2. So reduced observable aircraft will be able to maintain an RCS well below 1m2 even during combat.
Ofcourse using RAM in canopy and inlets will reduce RCS. But so does use of composites in wings and fuselage .
Since mki will never have them hence they will never match su35 in this area.
Plus your statement of su 35 having composite materials only in inlets and canopy is still incorrect.

You can make all the arguments you want, but the biggest RCS source from Su-35 is the inlets.

I got it perfectly right. But would welcome a counter with an authenticated source.

Haha. No you didn't. You simply assumed whatever you wanted.

After so many fallacies in argument pointed out by me and having no answers to my rock solid facts it was expected.
By the way sir you have keep reiterating these two arguments despite the fact that I have told you so many utilities of Su 35 and have proven through arguments that ORCA is very much possible and even now we could perceive it to exists in form of different parts in different programs. But it seems you don't want to accept that. So let us end it here. You seems to get tired of this debate and so do I.
I will rest my case by saying that no matter what, a combo of Su 35 and ORCA will be superior in every aspect ( capabilities, strategic, economic, indigenisation) than an insanely expensive low flying and less agile Rafale.

Cheers.

Okay, okay, cheers. You can believe that all you want. I no longer want to convince you otherwise. Now you can wait, watch and see for yourself what the IAF actually does.

I won't be surprised if the MMRCA ends up being cancelled in favour of a domestic twin engine jet for the IAF. If you recall, any MMRCA tender now will deliver a jet only between 2028 and 2030. That's more than enough time to develop our own Tejas derived TE jet.

The IAF doesn't really need more than 80 Rafales if a cheaper, less capable twin engine jet is available for most other missions. Bonus points for matching Rafale or surpassing it.

And that's okra, bro, not orca. But this new jet could turn into a vegetable.

@vstol Jockey @Picdelamirand-oil @halloweene @Bon Plan @A Person Post 466.
Not enough time and money as usual in India, so you will spend 3 time the money and 8 time the time.

I have changed my opinion since then. ORCA is not going to happen. It's an HAL project designed to kill MMRCA, so the program goal itself is headed for failure.
I doubt the MMRCA is unlikely to happen either. Given the kickbacks hungry IAF top brass, I'd give another 5-7 years to finalize a jet and complete negotiations. By the time necessary bureaucratic permissions and red-tape is overcome, setting up a manufacturing facility, establish a supply chain...it would be atleast 10yrs on an optimistic note for the first aircraft to roll out by which most nations (maybe pak too) would start inducting 5th gen fighters.

ADA should instead develop an aircraft version of the TEDBF instead which would fulfill IAF's Twin engine requirement while MWF should act as a replacement for the outgoing Migs

Also, ORCA looks like a fan-made render and there's no official confirmation from HAL either

I doubt the MMRCA is unlikely to happen either. Given the kickbacks hungry IAF top brass, I'd give another 5-7 years to finalize a jet and complete negotiations. By the time necessary bureaucratic permissions and red-tape is overcome, setting up a manufacturing facility, establish a supply chain...it would be atleast 10yrs on an optimistic note for the first aircraft to roll out by which most nations (maybe pak too) would start inducting 5th gen fighters.

Corruption can happen at the lower end of the item chain. For example, you can buy special forces tents for 12 Cr and people can pocket 1 Cr. But corruption rarely happens in big ticket deals because of the amount of media scrutiny involved. Also, the govt is hellbent on making defence deals look clean, not to mention the Modi govt has been ridiculously clean anyway. So, if the top brass is corrupt, you can see it happening in cases where political involvement is minor, like the funds that the top brass are allowed to spend without significant civilian involvement.

As for MMRCA, yes, this will be a very long process, but it will be at least 2-3 times faster than bringing TEDBF into service. A signature between 2023 and 2025 would mean the first Indian made MMRCA will become available only after 2028 for any of the contenders except for Rafale. Rafales can come in a year or two earlier.

TEDBF will be ready only around 2032, and service induction can happen around 2035, considering the project starts this year.

ADA should instead develop an aircraft version of the TEDBF instead which would fulfill IAF's Twin engine requirement while MWF should act as a replacement for the outgoing Migs

That's not going to work out for the IAF. TEDBF is an IN-specific design and changing it to IAF specs will be expensive, time-consuming and the end product may end up being inferior to the naval version. It's because the IAF's working environment is much more challenging than the IN's. Mountains eat away 20-30% of engine power, so the IAF needs extra high performance machines, something that doesn't exist today.

That's why AMCA's TWR is 1.2 at loaded weight. In the exact same configuration, even the presumably high TWR jet like the Typhoon has a TWR of 1.07. So a TEDBF with 100KN engines will be nothing more than a present day Typhoon, which is not enough for the IAF. Also why an aircraft like the F-35 won't be suitable for the IAF due to its ridiculously low TWR.

Also, the IN seems to be less interested in stealth and more interested in other aspects like long range strike, larger payload and higher range/endurance, no different from the USN. The design goals are likely very different compared to waht the IAF needs.

Another important criteria for the IAF is, the aircraft should already be operational. ORCA and TEDBF will obviously not meet the cut. Otherwise, IAF can wait for AMCA Mk1 anyway, it will be ready for induction long before TEDBF, at least by 3 or 4 years, especially considering AMCA is an approved project while TEDBF is still to go through the processing rigmarole. Furthermore, even AMCA Mk1 will have a TWR of 1.1 and hence a higher TWR than the Typhoon. Point being TEDBF will be inferior to even AMCA Mk1 in terms of perfomance, never mind stealth and other features, and will arrive well after it's ready for induction, making the entire process pointless.

The idea behind MMRCA is to acquire a previous generation design but with 5th gen avionics and make it operational as quickly as possible in order to maintain an edge in the region. So it's natural that the IAF's goal is to acquire an existing aircraft. The IAF made an exception for SE MII in favour of an indigenous design because the alternatives are either in development (Gripen E) or are too old (F-16). They are not going to give the same exception to TE MII, since its acquisition is much more critical.

Also, ORCA looks like a fan-made render and there's no official confirmation from HAL either

Yep. Been too long and there's been no sound from them. It's probably backfired, making such an unrealistic design, that they do not want to put their name at the bottom lest it hurts their reputation.

Reactions: zapper
1580697084398.png

@Gautam

From:MILITARY MODERNISATION: INDIAN AIR FORCE - Saluteindia

Other weapons developed are the SAAW (Smart Anti Airfield Weapon), Dhruv Astra an anti-surface missile and a new generation anti-radiation missile—the Rudram-1. We also have the Rudram-2 and Rudram-3 missiles which are variants of the Rudram-1 with different functions for ground attack.
Wasn't the ARM called Rudra ? Its all very confusing sometimes. Maybe the change of name is due to the fact that we have a helo by the name Rudra. Anyway, thank you.

WTF is Rudram 3 ? Described as Heavy Stand-off weapon.

This is a good pic :
View attachment 13750

Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

We are in the development stage of the Pralay—a guided short-range (400 km) tactical ballistic missile for battlefield use developed by DRDO. Also developed for the IAF are the precision guided munitions (PGMs) Garuthmaa and Garudaa. An air launched anti tank missile has been developed called SANT (Stand off Anti Tank) which will have multi-platform launch capability and can be launched from attack helicopters. Other weapons developed are the SAAW (Smart Anti Airfield Weapon), Dhruv Astra an anti surface missile and a new generation anti radiation missile—the Rudram-1. We also have the Rudram-2 and Rudram-3 missiles which are variants of the Rudram-1 with different functions for ground attack.
MILITARY MODERNISATION: INDIAN AIR FORCE
View attachment 3867

Replug:
Rudra-MIII : 1.6 ton