Tejas Mk2 (Medium Weight Fighter) - News and discussions

It's time, India must test LCA combat capability in real time scenario. Otherwise we will never know what it is capable of. It hardly takes any rocket science to understand this. Every country tests it's weapon somewhere in the world. Without that your machine holds no competency among others. That's basic marketing or technology proving step.
Before India went for Rafale, India observed it's capabilites in Libya, Migs were proven in Arab war and then in many other fronts.
So you propose to wage war?

MWF Poster.jpg
MWF Cockpit with PAMLCD Display & Sidestick Controls.jpg
MWF-1.jpg
MWF-2.jpg

Reactions: m_itsme and ni8mare
So you propose to wage war?

See it needs to be tested somehow I don't know how and where. But unless until it's capability is not tested in real war scenario you can't deploy it with confidence and neither export it. Chinese have given their JF17 to Pakistanis and they are testing different things on it. They deployed it against India on 27th. We knew what Mig 21 can do but we don't if LCA mk1 can do the same ?

Edit: UAE, Malaysia are interested and more over, they will see if India is able to manufacture it on time. This will set a precedence. Apart from all the technicalities India has to market it. If India fails, in the first export, this will give a bad image. Like Indo-Russian relations went soar due to gorshkov. Adding to it, this is the right time to push LCA MK1 for exports because Chinese technology was proven dud on 27th. Or else Chinese are ready with their other low grade version to export.

Last edited:
with just the fuel to take off and land nearly immediatly.

Internal fuel capacity has been changed from 2.5 tons to 3.3 tons and total payload capacity changed from 5.3 tons to 6.5 tons. Now, i'm not a rocket scientist, but would hazard a guess that maybe just maybe, it can do some more sightseeing before landing as compared to earlier.

work.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan
Internal fuel capacity has been changed from 2.5 tons to 3.3 tons and total payload capacity changed from 5.3 tons to 6.5 tons. Now, i'm not a rocket scientist, but would hazard a guess that maybe just maybe, it can do some more sightseeing before landing as compared to earlier.

work.jpg

I think he is commenting about the render not actual MWF

Haha, now the senior test pilot at HAL who's testing the tejas says that there is months of work left before contract signing for mk1a. Big fcuking LOL. Furthermore, his own estimates for first flight are:

tejas mk1a - 2023
MWF - 2025
AMCA - 2027

Leson to be learnt here:
Never take HAL/ADA timelines seriously!!! Always add atleast 2 years of delay to whatever they are saying.

Haha, now the senior test pilot at HAL who's testing the tejas says that there is months of work left before contract signing for mk1a. Big fcuking LOL. Furthermore, his own estimates for first flight are:

tejas mk1a - 2023
MWF - 2025
AMCA - 2027

Leson to be learnt here:
Never take HAL/ADA timelines seriously!!! Always add atleast 2 years of delay to whatever they are saying.

Recall Hal statement 3 yrs from date of signature, they ll deliver MK1A.
&
ACM saying they need a sample to place orders..

Now if the first flight is in 2023, then when will they sign and make...

Somethin is not adding up

tejas mk1a - 2023
MWF - 2025
AMCA - 2027

Leson to be learnt here:

Mk1A's fine. A contract is expected within this FY. So first production jet will be out only 3 years later. Since it's not a development contract, but a production contract, for a type that's already in production, you can expect minimal delays here, "after" contract signature.

MWF metal cutting is expected to begin early next year, which means delivery of prototypes is only possible from early 2024. So it's not unreasonable to expect a combination of ground testing and delays to push first flight to 2025. This is a development program and delays are inevitable.

AMCA's vapourware currently and delays are inevitable. But I'm not sure about a 2027 first flight. That's unrealistically long since the detailed design phase is over, and ADA doesn't need 7 years to build a TD and fly it. But 5 years is possible. Perhaps a case being made to push for FGFA.

• Informative
Reactions: Bon Plan
Mk1A's fine. A contract is expected within this FY. So first production jet will be out only 3 years later. Since it's not a development contract, but a production contract, for a type that's already in production, you can expect minimal delays here, "after" contract signature.
No one here can say anything definite about the delay that comes AFTER the contract signing. Only HAL knows that. I'm talking about the delay BEFORE the contract signing. In 2018, it was reported that contract would be signed at the end of 2019. As November 2019 came, it was delayed to jan 2020. Now in jan, it is being said that it will be signed by mid-2020. That test pilot mentioned that atleast 4 months of work is left. And this is the delay for a product that has mostly been realised. They are taking this long to negotiate. Don't hold your breath this time too.

MWF metal cutting is expected to begin early next year, which means delivery of prototypes is only possible from early 2024. So it's not unreasonable to expect a combination of ground testing and delays to push first flight to 2025. This is a development program and delays are inevitable.
Some defence outlets reported in 2019 that metal cutting will take place in feb 2020. Now, thats shifted to april 2021.
Here, this article: India’s Medium Weight Fighter set to fly into detail design phase
It says targeted roll out in august 2022 and first flight in september 2023. Well, how reliable the sources are, only god knows. I certainly don't expect them to be on target.

AMCA's vapourware currently and delays are inevitable. But I'm not sure about a 2027 first flight. That's unrealistically long since the detailed design phase is over, and ADA doesn't need 7 years to build a TD and fly it. But 5 years is possible. Perhaps a case being made to push for FGFA.
I'll list 2 articles: AMCA could fly undetected during dangerous missions
AMCA, India's first stealth fighter, likely to be airborne before 2025
In both the articles the "official" says they have the target of first flight in 2025.

As, I said add 2 years to their timeline and then you are good to go.

In both the articles the "official" says they have the target of first flight in 2025.

My approach is more severe, I consider that the Indian time is 8X the normal time so if the Indians think that the first flight of the AMCA will be in 2025 that is to say in 5 years then it will be in 40 years that is to say 2060.

so production line of tejas will be idle for 2 years?

No one here can say anything definite about the delay that comes AFTER the contract signing. Only HAL knows that. I'm talking about the delay BEFORE the contract signing. In 2018, it was reported that contract would be signed at the end of 2019. As November 2019 came, it was delayed to jan 2020. Now in jan, it is being said that it will be signed by mid-2020. That test pilot mentioned that atleast 4 months of work is left. And this is the delay for a product that has mostly been realised. They are taking this long to negotiate. Don't hold your breath this time too.

Some defence outlets reported in 2019 that metal cutting will take place in feb 2020. Now, thats shifted to april 2021.
Here, this article: India’s Medium Weight Fighter set to fly into detail design phase
It says targeted roll out in august 2022 and first flight in september 2023. Well, how reliable the sources are, only god knows. I certainly don't expect them to be on target.

Yep, pretty good thumb rule, 2 years.
so production line of tejas will be idle for 2 years?

No. HAL has to deliver 16 FOC in 2021 and 8 or 18 two seats in 2022. So any idle time will be limited to less than a year.