Tejas Mk2 (Medium Weight Fighter) - News and discussions

:ROFLMAO:

In our lifetime?

We have a very poor Project management. Babu giri and conservative procurement procedures causes very much delay. I wish Parikar was our Defense minister today. He worked so hard to set the things right. Credit of this big order of Tejas can be given to him only. He made it happen. We need some strict guy who can handle the affairs strictly.
Reportedly MK1 did quite well against Typhoon/Rafale in BVR fight owing to its small frontal RCS. IIRC, MK2 should have even a smaller RCS thanks to better materials and RAM/RAP over MK1/A.

If Mk1 has done well, Mk1A will perform even batter and MWF will do excellent job. I read somewhere that a state of art composite is developed which is very light and has a big strength. If Mk2 turns out to be like what is promised, it will be our work horse like Mirage 2000 and will be good enough for most of the task and save a big chunk of money. Designers says that it will be highly maneuverable and will carry a big payload to a decent range and carry 8 BVRs. We will be able to mount a big variety of weapons Including Indian, Israeli, European and Russian weapons. This will carry Brahmos NG as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajput Lion
We have a very poor Project management. Babu giri and conservative procurement procedures causes very much delay. I wish Parikar was our Defense minister today. He worked so hard to set the things right. Credit of this big order of Tejas can be given to him only. He made it happen. We need some strict guy who can handle the affairs strictly.

If Mk1 has done well, Mk1A will perform even batter and MWF will do excellent job. I read somewhere that a state of art composite is developed which is very light and has a big strength. If Mk2 turns out to be like what is promised, it will be our work horse like Mirage 2000 and will be good enough for most of the task and save a big chunk of money. Designers says that it will be highly maneuverable and will carry a big payload to a decent range and carry 8 BVRs. We will be able to mount a big variety of weapons Including Indian, Israeli, European and Russian weapons. This will carry Brahmos NG as well.
We're developing MK2 as our desi Gripen-E. It'll be all that what you have wrote.

Btw, we have also developed smart skins and CNT fiber mat skins for AMCA Program. Using that would definitely lower the RCS of MK2 over its predecessor(if we apply that).

I want MWF Mk2 with frontal stealth, Kaveri 75/125 KN Engine with super cruise speed Mach 1.4+ and Conformal weapon bay. This is very much possible in a decade of time. We should ally with France to make engine Kaveri 75/125 and start designing MWF MAk2. Which will have frontal stealth, Brahmos NG, SFDR BVR, Guided bombs with recently developed high Explosive, GAN AESA, Spectra like EW. This will become Grand PA of all 4.5 generation single engine fighters.

I want MWF Mk2 with frontal stealth, Kaveri 75/125 KN Engine with super cruise speed Mach 1.4+ and Conformal weapon bay. This is very much possible in a decade of time. We should ally with France to make engine Kaveri 75/125 and start designing MWF MAk2. Which will have frontal stealth, Brahmos NG, SFDR BVR, Guided bombs with recently developed high Explosive, GAN AESA, Spectra like EW. This will become Grand PA of all 4.5 generation single engine fighters.
Very hard to make a jet fully stealth without IWB.

Reactions: Speedster1
One possible option is external weapons pod. But it's not operational yet anywhere in the world.
From what I know, we're also studying that for MK2/TEDBF/MKI UPG. But even with that, it'll be hard for any 4.5/4 75/4.99 gen jet to match the all-aspect RCS of 5th/5.5 gen jets. 6th gen tailless stealth fighters would be way beyond this discussion.

Americans have done active testing of this and yet this can barely maintain 0.1m2 clean frontal RCS of F/A-18E that is a far cry from -40dBsm frontal RCS of F-22/35:

Screenshot_20240822-222748_Chrome.jpg

Image Source: Google.

Very hard to make a jet fully stealth without IWB.

I did not say fully stealth.
From what I know, we're also studying that for MK2/TEDBF/MKI UPG. But even with that, it'll be hard for any 4.5/4 75/4.99 gen jet to match the all-aspect RCS of 5th/5.5 gen jets. 6th gen tailless stealth fighters would be way beyond this discussion.

Americans have done active testing of this and yet this can barely maintain 0.1m2 clean frontal RCS of F/A-18E that is a far cry from -40dBsm frontal RCS of F-22/35:

View attachment 35699

Image Source: Google.

That is why active cancellation becomes important. If you can not hide, make your enemy confuse to detect your plane. That is exactly Rafale does through spectra.

I did not say fully stealth.
Even frontal stealth will be compromised by external tanks, missiles and bombs.
That is why active cancellation becomes important. If you can not hide, make your enemy confuse to detect your plane. That is exactly Rafale does through spectra.
I concur. But the way Radar technology is advancing, spoofing modern AESA radars is becoming more and more difficult.

Israel's AF stands out for its imaginative use of large drop tanks on the F-16(D?) which gave it extra reach to hit an Iraqi nuke reactor, back in the 1980s. They are continuing that tradition on their new F-35s too.

For tanks there is the F22 solution : a shaped, ie non a round design, tanks.
I never understood why the Rafale is not fitted of external tanks with a SCALP shape....
I guess they are jettisoning tanks before entering zones of engagement so it doesnt matter? Makes the plane more manouverable and reduces RCS..

This is very much possible in a decade of time.
Almost anything in the world is possible, but India developing, mass manufacturing and fielding such a jet in 10 years is not.

In the next 10 years the best we can hope for is partial delivery of the mk1A, maybe a flying prototype or two of the mk2, and if we're very lucky they'll have signed a few more MoUs for the MMRCA 2.0 (they'll still be negotiating the terms of ToT for the actual order)

Last edited:
Almost anything in the world is possible, but India developing, mass manufacturing and fielding such a jet in 10 years is not.

In the next 10 years the best we can hope for is partial delivery of the mk1A, maybe a flying prototype or two of the mk2, and if we're very lucky they'll have signed a few more MoUs for the MMRCA 2.0 (they'll still be negotiating the terms of ToT for the actual order)
Were u considering 180 Mk1A Or 83 Mk1A??
Mk2 would be atleast certified by next 10 years.
Amca prototype will be flying..

I ll book mark myself to check on this..

We skipped frontal stealth part to even Tedbf.

Amca nose cone was proposed for tedbf, but changed to Rafale type.
TEDBF will have some frontal stealth even if we have skipped AMCA type faceted nose-cone. All our future fighters will have FSS radome(along with MKI UPG.) which shall significantly reduce their frontal RCS.

TEDBF is also designed with Eurofighter Typhoon like recessed missile bays(in the belly). 4.99 gen fighter KF-21 also employs this same technique.

However, just don't call all the above measures stealth(at best RO or LO) as you can't be VLO if you're carrying your weapons/tanks outside. Period.

Forget about a facted nose cone. They could have atleast gone with outward canted tail fins like the F18 SH. Clearly stealth is not on their minds right now. In the future, who knows.

Reactions: Asterion Moloc
Forget about a facted nose cone. They could have atleast gone with outward canted tail fins like the F18 SH. Clearly stealth is not on their minds right now. In the future, who knows.
Nah. Not possible. Why? Cause TEDBF has just a single vertical tail like Rafale. Single tail can't be canted for obvious reasons. Only if it had twin vertical tails then we could have discussed about it being canted for better stealth. As of now, this discussion is simply moot.

Reactions: Asterion Moloc
Nah. Not possible. Why? Cause TEDBF has just a single vertical tail like Rafale. Single tail can't be canted for obvious reasons. Only if it had twin vertical tails then we could have discussed about it being canted for better stealth. As of now, this discussion is simply moot.

I think carrier capable TE fighter is the main target to achieve..

Think they are depending on Rafale as the basis for their design.

Going for stealth carrier capable aircraft is risky with stringent requirements.

OTOH, I would like to see such Amca nose + twin canted tail in ORCA if it's feasible.

I meant twin tails just like the SH. They are using the Rafale template for the TEDBF, perhaps to speed up the design phase. Maybe Dassault is providing design consultancy like they did with the LCA back in the day. Anyways, it is what it is.