ADA AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft

• Thread starter Thread starter Tarun
  • Start date Start date

It seems like Airframe construction has started.....😊
Where did the money come from? Cabinet is yet to approve the project.

Probably a misquote wrt recent press release.

Where did the money come from? Cabinet is yet to approve the project.

Probably a misquote wrt recent press release.

If the CCS hasn't yet approved the project , does that translate into no developmental work on the AMCA project can take place viz production of titanium slabs , etc or are these all contingent only on GoI / CCS approval ?

Where in the article or the video clip I linked which you deleted without issuing any notification for the same true to form did you read that the airframe is under construction except for a statement from lcafanboy - his own extrapolation from the article ?

Last edited:
If the CCS hasn't yet approved the project , does that translate into no developmental work on the AMCA project can take place
Yes and I was replying to the comment.

For airframe production they will need substantial invest. So far ADA spent around ₹400 cr on design activities. What they are asking is ₹8000+ cr for prototype development.

IMG_20210807_184401.jpg

It is just a guess but I think this is for the SWiFT, not AMCA. Wings of a fighter have plenty of internal space, most fighters carry their fuel inside their wings & fuselage. The photo shows a wing section with minimal internal space. The root of the wing section has multiple small holes/vents probably for effusive cooling of jet engine exhaust. These cooling holes/vents will use bleed air from the intake to cool & reduce the IR signature of the exhaust. So the wing section must be very close to the engine nozzle.

If I remember correctly both the Ghatak UCAV & AMCA were supposed to have those. Maybe this wing section is a small scale demonstration of that. Ghatak's small scale prototypes (SWiFT) has been doing low/high speed taxi trials for a while at the Aeronautical Test Range (ATR), Chitradurga.

It seems DRDO is using the NPO Saturn 36MT engines initially acquired for the Nirbhay cruise missiles for the SWiFT. I thought there would be a separate acquisition. We should see first flight of the SWiFT soon. How soon ? That will depend on DRDO's confidence on their Automatic Landing System (ALS). The SWiFT will use the automatic landing system originally designed for the Tapas/Rustom 2 UAV. Landing performance varies greatly depending on the engine, the Tapas is propeller driven where as the SWiFT will have a turbojet. DRDO had to modify the ALS for the SWiFT based on their simulations.

I believe this is why we haven't seen the 1st flight yet. DRDO is a bit tentative about it. Going by their track record with drones, tentative is a pretty normal reaction.

It is just a guess but I think this is for the SWiFT, not AMCA. Wings of a fighter have plenty of internal space, most fighters carry their fuel inside their wings & fuselage. The photo shows a wing section with minimal internal space. The root of the wing section has multiple small holes/vents probably for effusive cooling of jet engine exhaust. These cooling holes/vents will use bleed air from the intake to cool & reduce the IR signature of the exhaust. So the wing section must be very close to the engine nozzle.

If I remember correctly both the Ghatak UCAV & AMCA were supposed to have those. Maybe this wing section is a small scale demonstration of that. Ghatak's small scale prototypes (SWiFT) has been doing low/high speed taxi trials for a while at the Aeronautical Test Range (ATR), Chitradurga.

It seems DRDO is using the NPO Saturn 36MT engines initially acquired for the Nirbhay cruise missiles for the SWiFT. I thought there would be a separate acquisition. We should see first flight of the SWiFT soon. How soon ? That will depend on DRDO's confidence on their Automatic Landing System (ALS). The SWiFT will use the automatic landing system originally designed for the Tapas/Rustom 2 UAV. Landing performance varies greatly depending on the engine, the Tapas is propeller driven where as the SWiFT will have a turbojet. DRDO had to modify the ALS for the SWiFT based on their simulations.

I believe this is why we haven't seen the 1st flight yet. DRDO is a bit tentative about it. Going by their track record with drones, tentative is a pretty normal reaction.
It is serrated wing but how they are going to use it in wing. I have not seen any existing 5th gen aircraft wing with such pattern.

It is serrated wing but how they are going to use it in wing. I have not seen any existing 5th gen aircraft wing with such pattern.
It is a segment of a wing not the whole wing. The serrated design is adopted to minimize RSC from imperfect mating of segments. Build quality plays an important role in RCS. Without the best quality of manufacturing segments of the airframe won't fit together perfectly, there by increasing RCS.

With serrated segments the increase in RCS will be substantially mitigated. Of course you could avoid these problems with better manufacturing & maintenance. Our production lines haven't shown that level of quality yet. As far as maintenance goes, even the USAF struggled with maintaining their 5th gen fleet.