Attack Helicopters of IAF - LCH Prachand, AH-64E Apache : Updates & Discussions

Why is it sky blue paint .?

Is it planned to fly high altitude ? Could have preferred land camo s ..:(

It's the IAF Tipnis Grey.

The Mi-35s we operate have the same paint scheme.

Indian_Air_Force_Mil_Mi-35_Lofting-1.jpg

Reactions: TARGET
First images of the AH-64E Apache meant for the IAF, from the first flight conducted at Mesa, Arizona.

(via Boeing India twitter handle)

DjF05LsXgAA7vg1.jpg

DjF7AuMXsAAnE3B.jpg

Pretty paint scheme:love:!. Grey's a really underutilized color for the Apache.

Query: are they strictly for overland usage? Or is there any plan to operate the AH-64 over water too? The Apache is rated to carry anti-ship missiles like Penguin, Harpoon and JSM, so it could provide the IAF or IN with a protent supplementary anti-shipping role against a PN and PLAN that are expanding both in terms of numbers and sophistication.

Pretty paint scheme:love:!. Grey's a really underutilized color for the Apache.

Query: are they strictly for overland usage? Or is there any plan to operate the AH-64 over water too? The Apache is rated to carry anti-ship missiles like Penguin, Harpoon and JSM, so it could provide the IAF or IN with a protent supplementary anti-shipping role against a PN and PLAN that are expanding both in terms of numbers and sophistication.

No plan for maritime/ship-borne usage as far as I know. Ship-based dedicated attack helicopters (not counting whatever anti-ship/anti-sub capability is afforded by the NMRH/NUH types) will become a thing only when we create a Marine Corps-type force, which is a ways off.

The 4 LHDs need to be inducted first.

But LCH is having cool paint scheme ..
Rudra also not tipnis grey..

What LCH has right now is the HAL-mandated paint scheme for the Technology Demonstrator (TD) models. This will change once the IAF inducts Series Production (SP) models.

1630780_-_main.jpg

As of Rudra, well actually the ones operated by IAF do have the Tipnis Grey scheme:

Screenshot_20170706-194938_2.png

It's only the Army Aviation-operated ones that are black:

Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH Rudra).JPG

Even the ALH Dhruv of IAF has the Grey :

Dhruv_Helicopter_1.jpg

Army Dhruvs however have theatre-specific paint schemes....

5580088.jpg

DI2y7u7UIAApx5C.jpg

1024px-Army_Aviation_India_deploying_US_troops.jpg

Last edited:
havent heard a thing on LCH since months now. what is this? a secret project?

Worse. A project handled by HAL. No different from LUH/HTT-40 going silent after all the initial noise of starting limited series production in 2018.

Unfortunately our DPSUs have lost the momentum they picked up when Manohar Parrikar was the DM. The current DM is more interested in vote bank politics than actually reforming our defence production system. DM MP had monthly meetings with DPSUs, forcing them to produce results. One only needs to analyse media reports during his period to understand the change happening in our system. Now we are back to age old public sector culture.

Interesting bit from minute 11.00

Good Day!

Last edited:
Reactions: Parthu and Paro
Worse. A project handled by HAL. No different from LUH/HTT-40 going silent after all the initial noise of starting limited series production in 2018.

Good Day!
cmon man.

cmon man.

I'm sorry Sir, but it is very disappointing to see no effort from HAL to explain the reasons for delays. The very HAL that was in the news with an update every odd month during the previous DM, was quick to return back to old nature once he left. Where is the official update of the current status of all these projects? It's hard to keep faith when a system to deliver on time or to explain the reason for delays is non existent.

Good Day!

I'm sorry Sir, but it is very disappointing to see no effort from HAL to explain the reasons for delays. The very HAL that was in the news with an update every odd month during the previous DM, was quick to return back to old nature once he left. Where is the official update of the current status of all these projects? It's hard to keep faith when a system to deliver on time or to explain the reason for delays is non existent.

Good Day!

I think LCH trials were finished a few months ago, Production line once setup will churn out at a rapid pace. Look at ALH line.

HAL delivered ALH's before delivery schedule along with 75% availability.

"On Thursday, the Dhruv’s manufacturer, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), signed a contract with the defence ministry (MoD) that binds HAL to ensure a Dhruv availability of at least 75 per cent for the next five years.
The MoD says this unprecedented "performance based logistics" (PBL) contract relates to 32 Dhruv choppers being bought for Rs 8,000 crore for the navy and the Coast Guard. It will also extend to an impending contract for 41 more Dhruvs for the army.
This is the first time an Indian manufacturer is guaranteeing the performance of a weapons platform to a buyer through a PBL contract. HAL is charging roughly half the purchase price of each helicopter for providing the services, maintenance, spare parts and inspections needed to keep 75 per cent of the contracted fleet fly-worthy at all times."
Broadsword: In a first, HAL assures 75 per cent availability of Dhruv fleet through a "performance based logistics" contract

Even so, HAL has achieved far greater success with helicopters than with fixed wing aircraft. Belying its reputation for delays, HAL has built 159 Dhruv ALHs, contracted in 2007, ahead of their schedule delivery in 2019.
The last 30 Dhruvs from this batch stand parked on the HAL tarmac in Bengaluru, ready for delivery. However, army and air force units are holding off collection until their personnel and infrastructure are ready.

Broadsword: HAL seeks private partner to build Dhruv copters for civilian market

the LCH line was inaugrated in Aug2017. Give it a couple of years and the entire delivery will be completed again before schedule.

Worse. A project handled by HAL.
One guy says we haven't heard anything then other misinterpret it as delay. I don't understand such negative response to Indian companies by Indians themselves. IAF/army behaves the same with their GSQRs. That opinion is when HAL is doing great job in delivering rotary wing aircrafts. Last time i heard they delivered ALHs months before and IAF didn't construct the required infrastructure to house them.

Reactions: Ashwin
One only needs to analyse media reports during his period to understand the change happening in our system.

It could also be that there is a gag order of some sorts most of the media reports were from the HAL folks who "did not wish to be named"- meaning they are not authorized to speak about it.

It is still true that we did not hear anything from the LCH side in a while. What to make out of it - depends on when I hear the next news about LCH.

I think LCH trials were finished a few months ago, Production line once setup will churn out at a rapid pace. Look at ALH line.

HAL delivered ALH's before delivery schedule along with 75% availability.

"On Thursday, the Dhruv’s manufacturer, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), signed a contract with the defence ministry (MoD) that binds HAL to ensure a Dhruv availability of at least 75 per cent for the next five years.
The MoD says this unprecedented "performance based logistics" (PBL) contract relates to 32 Dhruv choppers being bought for Rs 8,000 crore for the navy and the Coast Guard. It will also extend to an impending contract for 41 more Dhruvs for the army.
This is the first time an Indian manufacturer is guaranteeing the performance of a weapons platform to a buyer through a PBL contract. HAL is charging roughly half the purchase price of each helicopter for providing the services, maintenance, spare parts and inspections needed to keep 75 per cent of the contracted fleet fly-worthy at all times."
Broadsword: In a first, HAL assures 75 per cent availability of Dhruv fleet through a "performance based logistics" contract

Even so, HAL has achieved far greater success with helicopters than with fixed wing aircraft. Belying its reputation for delays, HAL has built 159 Dhruv ALHs, contracted in 2007, ahead of their schedule delivery in 2019.
The last 30 Dhruvs from this batch stand parked on the HAL tarmac in Bengaluru, ready for delivery. However, army and air force units are holding off collection until their personnel and infrastructure are ready.

Broadsword: HAL seeks private partner to build Dhruv copters for civilian market

the LCH line was inaugrated in Aug2017. Give it a couple of years and the entire delivery will be completed again before schedule.
How you finished trials without weapon trials?

Is the self protection suite already integrated? How the production starts without this basic requirement.

Last edited:
It could also be that there is a gag order of some sorts most of the media reports were from the HAL folks who "did not wish to be named"- meaning they are not authorized to speak about it.

It is still true that we did not hear anything from the LCH side in a while. What to make out of it - depends on when I hear the next news about LCH.
Why do you want to hear about a long term project every other month?

Media will report when there is any progress or incident.

I'm waiting for a full sqd of LCA since my childhood. :cry:

Why do you want to hear about a long term project every other month?

Media will report when there is any progress or incident.

I'm waiting for a full sqd of LCA since my childhood. :cry:
well.. there was a report on LCA on how many jigs are up, how many are in what state of production, one report on every induction.