Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile : News, Updates and Discussions

There is no replacement plans for the Tatra trucks as of now. MoD ordered nearly 800 of them to be license manufactured by BEML in 2010, why would we replace them so soon ? TARTA has also tied up with some other companies after the FDI norms relaxation.
So can we offer a Brahmos + Tatra package???

So can we offer a Brahmos + Tatra package???
Sure we can and in all due probability we have done so already. But the trucks will cost additional money, I guess the Filipinos are just interested in the missile. Its not ideal but we all have budgetary constraints. Of course the requirement is for coastal batteries. Those batteries won't be changing positions a lot, let alone doing 50 KMPH cross-country runs that the Army does with their missiles. So I suppose their older trucks will do just fine for now. If they are interested in more missiles in the future or in other variant of the missile, they can always acquire those trucks.

Let's just make a sale and focus on providing good spares, services and training to them. That how you build a rep in the export world. If this goes well, maybe we can focus on other countries in the area.

• Agree
Reactions: vingensys
1576863009116.png

The Significance of an India-Philippines Brahmos Missile Deal

Assuming the deal materializes as intended, its implications could extend beyond just the bilateral relationship.

By Prashanth Parameswaran
December 23, 2019
1577181421459.png

Credit: Flickr/meaindia

Last week, we heard renewed talk of the Philippines’ interest in acquiring Brahmos missiles from India. While speculation about such a deal is far from new, it has nonetheless spotlighted the significance of an ongoing activity between the two countries which, if materialized, could extend beyond their bilateral relationship.

As I have observed before in these pages, while defense collaboration between India and the Philippines has been quite basic up to this point, with areas such as naval ship visits, training, and education, there have been efforts by both sides to boost this aspect of ties still further in realms such as military equipment and maritime security amid wider regional developments, including concerns about aspects of China’s behavior and broader convergences tied to the Indo-Pacific. This has continued on into 2019 as well, which marks the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between the two countries.

One of the aspects of this has been the sale of India’s Brahmos supersonic missiles to the Philippines. Speculation of a deal has been surfacing periodically, even though few specifics have been publicly released by both sides. Last week, we saw the firmest confirmation of this by Philippine Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, who said on December 16 that the signing of the contract would probably occur in 2020, possibly in the first or second quarter, and confirmed that adequate budgeting had been allocated for the sale to materialize.

Assuming that it does occur as has been indicated, the development would be significant. At the most basic level, this would be a boost for the Philippine military’s deterrent capabilities, as Lorenzana noted, as well as an additional avenue for collaboration within the India-Philippines defense relationship as discussed previously.

But the implications of this deal would reach beyond just the bilateral relationship. The spotlight on the Philippines as the potential first export customer of the Brahmos would represent a gain for Indian defense and would also serve as another tangible reinforcement of India’s growing security role in the region, which has been more visible under Prime Minister Narendra Modi. And assuming that the deal materializes as both sides intend, the focus will then move on to other potential customers in Asia and the impact of sales on India’s wider regional alignments.

To be sure, a much more robust assessment of the deal will only be possible once we see further inroads and the public release of more details surrounding it. And as with any defense deal, the broader strategic significance of a Brahmos deal for the Philippines should be checked against the operational realities of securing and then implementing the agreement. Nonetheless, given the potential significance of this development, it will nonetheless remain one that will continue to be closely watched for the headlines it generates in the coming months.

The Significance of an India-Philippines Brahmos Missile Deal

**** post sourced from SPUTNIK :

In a major boost to India’s plan to export the BrahMos to East Asian countries, Russia has indicated that its strategic partnership with China will not come in the way to exporting the supersonic cruise missile, touted as the world’s deadliest, to any country. Diplomatic sources in Delhi said that Russia has given “in-principal” approval to India to export the missile to any country, including the Philippines.

Full article : Exporting BrahMos to Any Countries Including Philippines Has ‘In-Principal’ Approval From Russia – Indian Defence Research Wing

Hmm.........interesting development this. This is of course from **** so take it with a lump of salt :

Philippines Planning to Arm it’s Jose Rizal-class frigate with BrahMos

Published January 14, 2020 | By admin SOURCE: RAUNAK KUNDE / NEWS BEAT / ****
1579023961663.png

Philippine Secretary of National Defense Delfin Lorenzana recently confirmed that his country is set to order the BrahMos supersonic cruise-missile system from India in 2020 as part of the military’s modernization program. According to State-owned Philippine News Agency (PNA), the final contract is most likely to be signed by May 2020 for two batteries of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile system.

A missile battery is equivalent to three mobile autonomous launchers with three missile tubes each, said the PNA but the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile system procured will be Truck Based Coastal BrahMos missile system but according to new PNA news reports, Philippines is also planning to arm its Jose Rizal-class frigate with BrahMos cruise missile system.

In 2016, the Philippines has signed a contract with South Korean firm Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) for the construction of two brand new frigates for the Philippine Navy worth P15.74 billion. The ships are 107.5 meters long with a displacement of 2,600 tonnes are to be armed with South Korean developed SSM-700K Haeseong (C-Star) Anti-ship Missile which is a Sub-sonic cruise missile with a range of only 180 km.

Both Warships are still at the Sea trials stage at Hyundai Heavy Industries in South Korea and the Philippine Navy will be soon be visiting Major Indian warship to see BrahMos in action at a live drill. Philippines Army vice-commander Major General Reynaldo Aquino toured India’s INS Sahyadri when it had visited Manila last year and had discussed the possible sale of the BrahMos missile to the Philippine Army.

Philippines Planning to Arm it’s Jose Rizal-class frigate with BrahMos – Indian Defence Research Wing .

The Brahmos is a pretty hefty missile. I wonder if the VLS on this frigate will hold a missile this size. The ship currently uses the South Korean SSM-700K Haeseong (C-Star) Anti-ship Sub-sonic cruise missile. The missile is shorter and slimmer than a Brahmos, so I am not sure how it will work.
1A0d5jatEMZAYzvFWTkoGBQd7LeDp_L-Gblbup_Qt_s.jpg

Edit : Oh wait I fuc**d up. The SSM-700K Haeseong(C-Star) Anti-ship Sub-sonic cruise missile is not launched from a VLS. Its launched from inclined launchers. The AD missiles are VLS launched.

In that case we have no problems at all. We already use inclined launchers with the Rajput class destroyers MLUs.
Twin pack launchers :
SDR-6.jpg

Quad pack launchers :
1579025830551.png

We have all that may be needed. Wikipedia says the ship carries only 2 AShMs. I wonder why. There is enough space for at least two of those quad pack launchers to be stacked on board.

If there is a need to integrate the Brahmos VLS on their ship its not a problem. We have smallish ships like the Talwar class carrying Brahmos :
1579025329818.png

Look at the size of that missile on that tiny deck. Its ridiculous how they managed to pack in 6 of them in a ship this size.

And the video is out :

I do hope his source is not **** or my post above. I was unable to find the said report on the Philippine News Agency (PNA). I hope he found it. Otherwise we are just validating ourselves, that would not be very credible.

The Brahmos is a pretty hefty missile. I wonder if the VLS on this frigate will hold a missile this size. The ship currently uses the South Korean SSM-700K Haeseong (C-Star) Anti-ship Sub-sonic cruise missile. The missile is shorter and slimmer than a Brahmos, so I am not sure how it will work.
Just compare the weight of both the missiles and the platform.

Here is the original source. Clearly says land-based. They just spiced things up.
BrahMos missiles deal seen in 2020: Lorenzana

The contract signing for the medium-range ramjet supersonic BrahMos cruise missiles, which are being eyed for coastal defense missions of the Philippine Army (PA), will be signed by the early part of 2020, Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said Monday night.
He made this announcement when asked about the possibility of the Philippines having the missile on its inventory.
"Signing of the contract will be in 2020. Possibly on the first or second quarter," Lorenzana said in Filipino.
When asked on how many BrahMos units the Philippines will be acquiring, the DND chief said "two batteries".
A missile battery is equivalent to three mobile autonomous launchers with two or three missile tubes each.
Aside from the PA, the DND chief said the weapons can also be used by the Philippine Air Force. Lorenzana said the procurement will be via "government-to-government mode".
Once delivered, he said the BrahMos will be the first Philippine weaponry with deterrent capability.
"There is money for it as per our modernization program," Lorenzana earlier said when asked on whether the Philippines can support or provide funds for the acquisition of the missiles which was jointly developed by Russia and India.
The acquisition of a land-based missile system is under Horizon Two of the Revised Armed Forces of the Philippines Modernization Program slated from 2018 to 2022 for the acquisition of equipment geared for external defense and has a budget of PHP300 billion.
The PA in October activated its first land-based missile battery system which is under the supervision of its Army Artillery Regiment. The unit is currently working on its training programs before acquiring the equipment.
In the same month, ranking Army officials paid a visit to the "Shivalik"-class guided missile frigate, INS Sahyadri (F-49), to learn more about its missile capabilities which include the "BrahMos" cruise missile which can be launched from ship, aircraft, submarine or land and has a top of Mach 3 and capable of carrying warheads weighing 200 to 300 kilograms.
“The Philippine Army is interested in acquiring this type of missile as it will strengthen our coastal defense operations,” PA spokesperson Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala earlier said. (PNA)

**** post sourced from SPUTNIK :

Full article : Exporting BrahMos to Any Countries Including Philippines Has ‘In-Principal’ Approval From Russia – Indian Defence Research Wing
Always try to quote original source. less ambiguity.

Here is the original source. Clearly says land-based. They just spiced things up.
I know about the coastal battery deal. **** isn't spinning that one. They are talking of a different deal in addition to the coastal battery. From my post above :
Philippine Secretary of National Defense Delfin Lorenzana recently confirmed that his country is set to order the BrahMos supersonic cruise-missile system from India in 2020 as part of the military’s modernization program. According to State-owned Philippine News Agency (PNA), the final contract is most likely to be signed by May 2020 for two batteries of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile system.

A missile battery is equivalent to three mobile autonomous launchers with three missile tubes each, said the PNA but the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile system procured will be Truck Based Coastal BrahMos missile system but according to new PNA news reports, Philippines is also planning to arm its Jose Rizal-class frigate with BrahMos cruise missile system.
I have been unable to find any such reports yet. But then Amit came up with that video. We'll see I guess, things will get clearer in the coming months.

I know about the coastal battery deal. **** isn't spinning that one. They are talking of a different deal in addition to the coastal battery. From my post above :

I have been unable to find any such reports yet. But then Amit came up with that video. We'll see I guess, things will get clearer in the coming months.
Read the second last para of the original post and last para from ****.

Unless there is a source it is made up.

D7OANY_UcAAMp9e.jpeg

opening%2Brequirements.JPG

VLS is for SAM and it looks like they already ordered IGNex1 SSM-700K C-Star missile. Why would the replace Ashm in a new ship?

[Towed sonar and SAM are Fitted For But Not With (FFBNW) everything else is part of the package]

The Hyundai HDF-2600 Jose Rizal-class Frigate of the Philippine Navy ~ MaxDefense Philippines

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gautam
Hmm.........interesting development this. This is of course from **** so take it with a lump of salt :

Philippines Planning to Arm it’s Jose Rizal-class frigate with BrahMos

Published January 14, 2020 | By admin SOURCE: RAUNAK KUNDE / NEWS BEAT / ****
View attachment 13131

In 2016, the Philippines has signed a contract with South Korean firm Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) for the construction of two brand new frigates for the Philippine Navy worth P15.74 billion. The ships are 107.5 meters long with a displacement of 2,600 tonnes are to be armed with South Korean developed SSM-700K Haeseong (C-Star) Anti-ship Missile which is a Sub-sonic cruise missile with a range of only 180 km.

Both Warships are still at the Sea trials stage at Hyundai Heavy Industries in South Korea and the Philippine Navy will be soon be visiting Major Indian warship to see BrahMos in action at a live drill. Philippines Army vice-commander Major General Reynaldo Aquino toured India’s INS Sahyadri when it had visited Manila last year and had discussed the possible sale of the BrahMos missile to the Philippine Army.

Philippines Planning to Arm it’s Jose Rizal-class frigate with BrahMos – Indian Defence Research Wing .

View attachment 13130

Edit : Oh wait I fuc**d up. The SSM-700K Haeseong(C-Star) Anti-ship Sub-sonic cruise missile is not launched from a VLS. Its launched from inclined launchers. The AD missiles are VLS launched.

In that case we have no problems at all. We already use inclined launchers with the Rajput class destroyers MLUs.
Twin pack launchers :
View attachment 13133
Quad pack launchers :
View attachment 13134
We have all that may be needed. Wikipedia says the ship carries only 2 AShMs. I wonder why. There is enough space for at least two of those quad pack launchers to be stacked on board.

If there is a need to integrate the Brahmos VLS on their ship its not a problem. We have smallish ships like the Talwar class carrying Brahmos :
View attachment 13132
Look at the size of that missile on that tiny deck. Its ridiculous how they managed to pack in 6 of them in a ship this size.
Actually, all our Talwar, Shivalik and the future Nilgiri class friagtes carry 8 Brahmos each.

Oh right my bad. 8 it is.

South Korea has destoyers of 4500 tons. We have frigates with over 6000 tons. Yet their ships carry more missiles(Maybe not AshMs).:mad:

Can it be taken it as deliberately we have been disinformed?

Can it be taken it as deliberately we have been disinformed?
If those ships carried any more missiles it would've been visible in photos. The only way the can hide any additional missiles properly is if we had a under deck VLS reloading mechanism like the Russians. No evidance of such a system exists in public sources at least nothing that I've seen.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Bali78 and Sathya
The first export contract for Russian-Indian BrahMos medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missiles to a third country may be signed this spring, said BrahMos Chief General Manager Praveen Pathak.

BrahMos is the most successful Russian-Indian military-technical cooperation project, Russian military expert Vasily Kashin told Sputnik. BrahMos is currently carrying out active marketing for these powerful anti-ship missiles in Southeast Asia and the Middle East, in a total of 14 countries.

India, assisted by Russia, has launched a family of supersonic cruise missiles to engage land and sea targets at a speed of 2.8M. Its basic versions for the Navy are based on the design of Onyx Russian supersonic anti-ship missiles. Variants of missiles have been created for land forces and the Air Force with extended range that are based on Russian anti-ship missiles. At present, India, with Russia's help, has established the production of such missiles, creating several dozen per year.
India has long been wanting to switch to BrahMos missiles exports, which would be an important step on the long road to transforming the country from a major arms importer to an important military-industrial centre. Southeast Asia and the Middle East are regions that play a priority role in India's foreign policy and foreign economic relations. India has significant influence in these regions, which is why they have been chosen as the main directions for promoting this missile.
There have been talks about the possibility of supplying BrahMos missiles to Vietnam for some time, but this country has purchased Russian Bastion coastal missile systems with an export version of Onyx missiles. According to the latest reports, the Philippines may become the first country to purchase BrahMos missiles. In December 2019, Philippine National Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said the country was interested in buying two BrahMos missile batteries and suggested that a contract could be signed in the first half of 2020.

The purchase of powerful anti-ship missiles by the Philippines is a logical step. An island nation of more than 100 million people requires means to control key areas adjacent to it. The normalisation of Sino-Philippine relations under President Rodrigo Duterte does not negate that necessity. Two batteries won't change the balance of power in the region, but the Philippines' capability to defend itself without turning to the US and its allies remains of greater importance to the region. A deal involving substantial, albeit indirect, Russian involvement is likely to displease the United States.

Enhanced India-Philippines cooperation occurred after Narendra Modi assumed the post of Indian prime minister. In November 2017, Modi became the first Indian PM to visit the Philippines. Philippine foreign policy is built around a reasonable balance between the US and China, and no other country can match the influence of these countries on the Philippine economy and politics. However, as the Philippines moves toward multi-vector policies, it is understandable for it to seek close cooperation with as many partners as possible.

The Philippines’ potential purchase of Russian-Indian missiles shows that another large and important country is slowly but surely turning from a junior ally of the US into an independent political player, and this plays a significant role for Russia and China's interests.