China-Taiwan Relations

interesting bit of information .. not sure about credibility though..

Nah, too early for a war. The PLAAF and PLAN aren't ready yet. They are more likely just putting pressure on Taiwan and force a political settlement. China wants to create a one country two systems type deal with Taiwan, which will eventually lead to Hong Kong.

• Agree
Reactions: SammyBoi
They won't be defenceless. Every time the Chinese fly, the Taiwanese will fly too. Let's not forget that the Taiwanese have better jets in terms of serivce life, scramble, turnaround etc, so they can react faster than the Chinese can.
But the terms of attrition are against the Taiwanese, right? (meaning the Chinese have numbers, both of jets and long-range munitions?)
Also, I believe, the US won't just sit this one out, they have too many strategic + economic + tech incentives and connections on that island, to forgo them.... , don't you think? However, if anybody apart from the above two will participate in this war, one cannot say....
I mean, we won't open a second front, will we?

But the terms of attrition are against the Taiwanese, right? (meaning the Chinese have numbers, both of jets and long-range munitions?)
Also, I believe, the US won't just sit this one out, they have too many strategic + economic + tech incentives and connections on that island, to forgo them.... , don't you think? However, if anybody apart from the above two will participate in this war, one cannot say....
I mean, we won't open a second front, will we?

In theory, the Taiwanese have enough jets. They have 200+ F-16s, 100+ F-CK-1s and 50+ M2000s. That's 350+ jets for a tiny island. They are only outclassed due to the J-20 because the US refused to supply the F-35 to them.

Practically, the Taiwanese only have to survive long enough for the US to step in. But the invasion preparation time itself is so long that it will give the defenders months to prepare, so even the US forces would dig in on the island before it begins.

Reactions: Paro and SammyBoi

Nah, too early for a war. The PLAAF and PLAN aren't ready yet. They are more likely just putting pressure on Taiwan and force a political settlement. China wants to create a one country two systems type deal with Taiwan, which will eventually lead to Hong Kong.
They are doing a gradual build up similar to the infrastructure build up in aksai Chin. Which ever becomes the easier target China will go for that target first. If taiwan is easier objective they will go for that otherwise Chinese go for DBO most probably next time.

They are doing a gradual build up similar to the infrastructure build up in aksai Chin. Which ever becomes the easier target China will go for that target first. If taiwan is easier objective they will go for that otherwise Chinese go for DBO most probably next time.

I had always assumed that they will first test their expertise against India before making a move on Taiwan. 'Cause a war with India could be much smaller, especially if restricted to just Ladakh.

(LeFigaro, jun.14)
Taipei blasts Beijing for claiming possession of the Taiwan Strait

Taipei said on Tuesday that Chinese statements claiming possession of the Taiwan Strait were "unacceptable". The country lives under the threat of invasion by China, which sees this democratic and autonomous island as an integral part of its territory. Beijing intends to take it back one day, by force if necessary.

The narrow waterway that separates Taiwan from mainland China is a sensitive point. The passage of foreign warships, especially Western ones, through the Strait has regularly aroused Beijing's anger. The US and many other countries consider the Strait to be part of international waters open to all.

Wrong" and "unacceptable" remarks
On Monday, Wang Wenbin, spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, said that "China has sovereignty, sovereign rights and jurisdiction over the Taiwan Strait". "It is a false claim when some countries call the Taiwan Strait 'international waters' in order to find a pretext to manipulate Taiwan-related issues and threaten China's sovereignty and security," he added.

Taipei hit back on Tuesday, calling Beijing's remarks "wrong" and "unacceptable". "China (...) is blatantly violating Taiwan's sovereignty and undermining the international maritime order to undermine regional peace and stability," the ruling Democratic Progressive Party said in a statement.

The Foreign Ministry said in a statement that Beijing had "deliberately distorted international rules to bring the Taiwan Strait into its own Exclusive Economic Zone". "China's attempt to annex Taiwan is clear," the ministry said. [DeepL]

Meh. A drone anyone can buy from Amazon being "shot down" should not get this much attention. Now if they shoot down a PLAAF UAV and I mean Predator size or bigger than that is something to write about. But I reckon this is a first step for Taiwan and a message to the chicoms that they are not afraid to shoot any chicom drone down.

Reactions: BMD