Indian AESA Radar Developments

EtR9j6KU0AAZRrC.jpg

RCI was developing 2 AESA seekers. One was a Ku-band seeker, the other a X-band seeker. Both seekers were to be manufactured by Astra Microwave.

The Ku-band AESA seeker is gong in to the Akash-NG:
1630151976886.png

The X-band AESA seeker is probably for a longer range AD system. Here is the X-band seeker:
1630151992517.png

There are 2 Long range AD missiles being developed right now that could use the X-band seeker.
The AD-1:
1630152951717.png

And the XR-SAM:
1630153006477.png

Wonder if they are still working on this:
1630153132001.png

This missile was initially thought to be the XR-SAM. Very similar in configuration to the AD-1 & the XR-SAM but the 2nd stage uses the SFDR engines instead of the dual/multi pulse propulsion likely to be seen on the XR-SAM & AD-1

The Ku-band seeker looks a little different from the one see on this picture:
AMP (2).jpg

Is there another Ku-AESA seeker in the works ? Probably for Astra Mk-2.

Sharp eyes @Ashwin.

1631965809675.png

There is a radar panel under going front end integration behind the man with the turban. The panel is octagonal like the MF-STAR. But the MF-STARs are directly imported from Israel. They are not made or even assembled in India.

So this could be DRDO's LRMFR :
1631966280356.png

Thought the LRMFR shares visual similarities with the MF-STAR it is a completely Indian radar.

We saw a model of the LRMFR at the Balasore missile test facility during a Pinaka missile test. It is possible that the radar was undergoing instrumentation then. Having a live target to track is essential for calibration of new radars.
1631966372243.png

There are a number of ships being built right now that use the MF-STAR, namely the Vizag class destroyers & the Nilgiri class frigates. The Vizag class ships are in pretty advanced stage so they are definitely use the MF-STAR. But the Nilgiri class can use the LRMFR instead. The Nilgiris are not close to doing radar integration yet & by the looks of it BEL is already making the LRMFRs.

BEL has already delivered 2 LRMFR panels for INS Anvesh. Now there are more being built, but where are they going to be used ?

The IAF had a requirement for static 4 walled AESA radars for AD applications. Don't know what happened to that program. If there was an order surely it will be for the IAF's AD application or Navy's Nilgiri class radars.

It would be a performance booster if the Nilgiri class got these radars. It would also reduce the price of those ships. Right now they cost as much as a destroyer.

Sharp eyes @Ashwin.

View attachment 21046
There is a radar panel under going front end integration behind the man with the turban. The panel is octagonal like the MF-STAR. But the MF-STARs are directly imported from Israel. They are not made or even assembled in India.

So this could be DRDO's LRMFR :
View attachment 21047
Thought the LRMFR shares visual similarities with the MF-STAR it is a completely Indian radar.

We saw a model of the LRMFR at the Balasore missile test facility during a Pinaka missile test. It is possible that the radar was undergoing instrumentation then. Having a live target to track is essential for calibration of new radars.
View attachment 21048
There are a number of ships being built right now that use the MF-STAR, namely the Vizag class destroyers & the Nilgiri class frigates. The Vizag class ships are in pretty advanced stage so they are definitely use the MF-STAR. But the Nilgiri class can use the LRMFR instead. The Nilgiris are not close to doing radar integration yet & by the looks of it BEL is already making the LRMFRs.

BEL has already delivered 2 LRMFR panels for INS Anvesh. Now there are more being built, but where are they going to be used ?

The IAF had a requirement for static 4 walled AESA radars for AD applications. Don't know what happened to that program. If there was an order surely it will be for the IAF's AD application or Navy's Nilgiri class radars.

It would be a performance booster if the Nilgiri class got these radars. It would also reduce the price of those ships. Right now they cost as much as a destroyer.
Logic also says that MF star should be replaced by this indigenous radar which I suppose is much better in performance.
Any idea which secondary radar is going to be used in BMD phase 2 @Gautam

Logic also says that MF star should be replaced by this indigenous radar which I suppose is much better in performance.
Yes. But it also has to make sense budget & timeline wise. It makes no sense to have ships wait for new radars, especially when the deliveries of the Vizag class has been abysmally slow. Niligiri class however has come up right on time to recieve these radars. By the time the 1st ship of the Nilgiris get to radar integration the Navy would have used the INS Anvesh enough to have confidence in the new radar.

I hope they take the call. Or may be they have already, who knows.
Any idea which secondary radar is going to be used in BMD phase 2 @Gautam
Secondary radar ? What do you mean by that ?

Yes. But it also has to make sense budget & timeline wise. It makes no sense to have ships wait for new radars, especially when the deliveries of the Vizag class has been abysmally slow. Niligiri class however has come up right on time to recieve these radars. By the time the 1st ship of the Nilgiris get to radar integration the Navy would have used the INS Anvesh enough to have confidence in the new radar.

I hope they take the call. Or may be they have already, who knows.

Secondary radar ? What do you mean by that ?
I mean fire control radar.

As far as I can tell the Swordfish & the LRTR does both volume scan & fire control for the BMD phase 1. For Phase 2 we will likely use a combination of the Swordfish, LRTR, MOTR etc. for both the jobs.

There are no primary & secondary radars if the radars involved is doing both jobs.

India's BMD has the Indo-Israeli based L-band LRTR for volume scan and Indo-French S- band MFCR for fire control. There is also an unknown X band component, but it's still unclear.

LRTR and Swordfish are basically the same. The new one can basically be called Swordfish Mk2, Super Swordfish etc.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
Indo-French S- band MFCR for fire control
Oh yeah forgot about that. That was for FCR ? What is the range of that thing ? It seemed much smaller than the Swordfish/LRTR
Also why is it Indo-French ? I thought we purchased it from Thales.

I thought the Swordfish et al do everything; targeting & scanning.
There is also an unknown X band component, but it's still unclear.
The one on INS Dhruv ? There might be a land based version of the same.
LRTR and Swordfish are basically the same.
Same architecture. Different TRMs & HEMTs.
The new one can basically be called Swordfish Mk2, Super Swordfish etc.
Yes. Is that the 4-5k km ranged one ?

Reactions: Chain Smoker
Oh yeah forgot about that. That was for FCR ? What is the range of that thing ? It seemed much smaller than the Swordfish/LRTR
Also why is it Indo-French ? I thought we purchased it from Thales.

As per DRDO, it has a 370 Km track range and can track missiles moving up to mach 10.

What we do know is there are multiple versions of it.

I thought the Swordfish et al do everything; targeting & scanning.

It has a secondary targeting capability owing to its size, but it could push the missile towards its red lines and reduce KP. You would also sacrifice resources towards tracking.

The one on INS Dhruv ? There might be a land based version of the same.

Possibly. No point in speculating though. But if Dhruv and Anvesh are meant for testing, then you can be sure the hardware on them will be the same as the land based systems.

Yes. Is that the 4-5k km ranged one ?

Yeah.

There are three versions actually. One from Israel, one indigenised, the third one has been upgraded significantly.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
What we do know is there are multiple versions of it.
So its not a straight forward acquisition ? A bit like the Swordfish.
You would also sacrifice resources towards tracking.
Yes this is a problem. Although it can be overcome if sufficient number of radars are available.

I suppose it is always easier to purchase smaller FCRs that larger multi-purpose radars.

So its not a straight forward acquisition ? A bit like the Swordfish.

Yeah, we need it talking to all our systems. Anyay, it would have started off with a straightforward acquisition, like the Greenpine.

Yes this is a problem. Although it can be overcome if sufficient number of radars are available.

I suppose it is always easier to purchase smaller FCRs that larger multi-purpose radars.

The smaller FCRs are needed to be positioned alongside both static and mobile BMD batteries. Even the LRTR will come in both fixed and mobile configurations.

If we go by the IAF's usual configuration, we may see the LRTR as part of the squadron HQ, while smaller radars are used in batteries, possibly only the MFCR. We haven't yet seen the full BMD configuration.

For now I'm basically guessing the squadron HQ will have 1 large LRTR and 1 large S band radar, and the battery component will have 2 small S band radars. And this is for Phase 1.

First get the mk1 operational.

Its a problem with us. Just like in Tejas program, we still to date haven't completed all the certifications on the Tejas trainer aircraft for IAF, but we are going around blabbering of SPORT.

Get the step 1 completed before saying we are going to complete step 3.

Reactions: Ashwin and Sathya