Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

What is Supersonic missile assisted release of torpedo (SMART) ? Any idea friends ?

Kind of rum 139 RUM-139 VL-ASROC - Wikipedia
images

Reactions: Sumanta
It's a fake edited video, not possible

No, I am not referring that special effect in start, but from 01:14 , actually I was inquiring about whether the launch system might be like normal torpedo from ship, but some thing like supercaviation torpedo like Soviet VA-111 Shkval.

VA-111 Shkval

something like this one:

250px-Shkval.jpg

If it will be an Anti Submarine Missile, then surely it will be like RUM-139 VL-ASROC as you have stated or anti submarine version of 3M-54 Kalibr

I think Iran reportedly have a Torpedo based on VA-111 Shkval, naming 'Hoot'

Another video regarding Shkval:

Last edited:
Another video of Hoot:

it has been fired from a surface ship. Now if the SMART be something like Shkval, then it may well also be launched from surface ship, as per wikipedia, Shkval can be launched from 533 mm Torpedo Tube.

Similarly both the Germany and the USA had prototype development but unlike Soviets/Russians and Iran they never put it into service.

Name of the German project was : Superkavitierender Unterwasserlaufkörper or Barracuda led by Diehl BGT Defense.

Got few answers from Prasun K. Sengupta:

CLGM is the 120mm ant-helicopter laser-guided missile for use from Arjun MBTs. Its infantry-launched version is called SAMHO but it has been rejected by the IA. The CLGM is not an ATGM, but more like the Russian INVAR anti-helicopter projectile.

SMART is exactly like the Novator 91RE1 and 91RTE2 are anti-submarine missiles.

ANVESHA is the TD project name for developing a MMW seeker-equipped version of the HELINA:
HELINA%2BATGM%2527s%2Bexperimental%2BW-band%2BMMR%2Bseeker.jpg

If successful, it will also be developed as the naval NASM.

RudraM-II & RudraM-III refer to efforts by the DRDO to arm the Rudra helicopter gunships with A) 20-barrel B-8M-1 pods for firing 80mm S-8 & 122mm unguided rockets; & B) five-barrel B-13L pods that can fire S-13 unguided rockets. These pods & rockets are available in mlarge numbers with the IAF since they are also used by MiG-21s & Mi-25/Mi-35 attack helicopters. Such rockets can be used for rendering immediate air-support at standoff distances ranging from 1.5km till 4km.

Dhruvastra is the fire-control system for the HELINA that can be fired from twin-tube & quad-tube launchers.

Reactions: Ashwin and Sumanta
Glider Assisted Torpedo project by NSTL
Development and Implementation of control algorithm for air launched torpedo
Period : 2011-2012

torpedo.jpg

The goal of this project is to develop a design of a glider configuration which when mounted on the torpedo can assist it to glide. The specified objective is to achieve a minimum range of 25 Km in a maximum duration of 250 sec when the whole assembly is launched from an altitude of 6 Km with a circular error probability of 500m. This study posed interesting problems in terms of high wing loading and development of compact mechanisms owing to the space constraints. Mechanisms are required to set the wing and tail in positions after launch, which otherwise are aligned with the torpedo and folded respectively, so that the system can fit in the bomb bay. Indigenous mechanisms are proposed to meet the requirements. Wing loading is very high resulting from the heavy weight of torpedo and geometrical constraints on design of wing. The assembly after launch has to be controlled with the help of an on-board autopilot using integrated GPS-INS so as to accommodate it in the flight envelop provided by NSTL, Visakhapatnam. Apart from glider design, this project involves evaluation of stability of the entire system during flight, trajectory simulation and performance against atmospheric disturbances.The mechanisms are developed using Autodesk Inventor software and the stress analysis on them for different loads is also carried out using the same software.

Prof. A.K. Ghosh Home page

No its not. He is referring to Klub/Kalibr missile. Shkval is a regular torpedo and all of them can be launched from a surface ship (including our varunastra).

Yes I know, he was referring to Klub.

Then why DRDO refer it as "Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART) " ? Why should they tag word Torpedo , if it is really a Anti Submarine Missile ? Shkval is a supercavitating torpedo as per wikipedia.

Last edited:
Because its a missile carrying torpedo to its desired location. After release, it behaves just like a torpedo under water.

Ok, I See, thanks for clearing doubt , though I know, about HWT Varunastra. By the way I really wished SMART to be based on some thing like Shkval.

Last edited:
Got few answers from Prasun K. Sengupta:

CLGM is the 120mm ant-helicopter laser-guided missile for use from Arjun MBTs. Its infantry-launched version is called SAMHO but it has been rejected by the IA. The CLGM is not an ATGM, but more like the Russian INVAR anti-helicopter projectile.

SMART is exactly like the Novator 91RE1 and 91RTE2 are anti-submarine missiles.

ANVESHA is the TD project name for developing a MMW seeker-equipped version of the HELINA:
HELINA%2BATGM%2527s%2Bexperimental%2BW-band%2BMMR%2Bseeker.jpg

If successful, it will also be developed as the naval NASM.

RudraM-II & RudraM-III refer to efforts by the DRDO to arm the Rudra helicopter gunships with A) 20-barrel B-8M-1 pods for firing 80mm S-8 & 122mm unguided rockets; & B) five-barrel B-13L pods that can fire S-13 unguided rockets. These pods & rockets are available in mlarge numbers with the IAF since they are also used by MiG-21s & Mi-25/Mi-35 attack helicopters. Such rockets can be used for rendering immediate air-support at standoff distances ranging from 1.5km till 4km.

Dhruvastra is the fire-control system for the HELINA that can be fired from twin-tube & quad-tube launchers.
Usual stuff from PKS. Multiple reports confirmed Rudra as Air to Surface missile. I would stick with that.

• Agree
Reactions: Angel Eyes
Yes. I meant its just a torpedo while SMART is not.

Here is a good read on Shkval:

A new Russian weapon may give it an underwater advantage

Yes, same I have thought also, and was googling for the reason behind Germany and the USA abandoning their R & D on Supercavitating Torpedo , thanks for sharing the link , as I have also found anther one :

The allure of supercavitating torpedoes

Thinking about opening a separate thread on it.

BTW, what is your take on ANVESHA ?

Last edited: