Indian Navy hunt for Mine Counter-Measures (MCM) Vessel: Discussion

France , Belgium and Netherlands too are working on a modern MCMV. Something should be out very soon.

France is a viable option too for us. If their design is fine enough..

This video has nothing to do with our MCMV ship replacement program . This video has everything to do with our MCMV ship replacement program.

Somewhere in this interview the Chief of Belgian Naval Staff (?) self describes Belgium as the pioneer in MCM . No clue how genuine a claim it is , but this is state of the art stuff & a joint procurement program by the Belgian & Netherlands Navy. Check it out for the salience it holds for our own doomed program.

Do we need a standoff MCM capability? realistically PN is going to lay mines on approaches to our harbours and ports - likes of Vizag, Mumbai and Karwar for example. So we already know the target - can shore based USVs and UUVs and conventional MCM vessels not address that threat? I cannot fathom as to why IN is not pursuing at least an interim and limited capability by building GRP hulled MCMVs at GSL while we procure gold standard solutions

Hope they join this program:

Screenshot_2023-08-05-01-14-27-783_com.google.android.apps.docs-edit.jpg

Total revamp in design philosophy.

From a 700 ton non metallic vessel to now a 2800 ton vessel made of steel with standoff mcm capability.

I like it.

PS: Last month started with my MBA, so was surprised to open the forum after almost a month and find this news today.

From 2015 EOI

Displacement: 885 tons
Length: 63 m
Beam: 10.2 m
Draft: 2.7 m
Propulsion: 2 × diesels, 2 shafts, 3,728 kW (5,000 hp)
Maximum speed: 16 knots
Range: 4,000 nmi (7,400 km) at 10 knots; 3,000 nmi (5,600 km) at 12 knots
Complement: 10 officers, 67 enlisted
Sensors and processing systems: BEL Sonar and BEL Radar
Electronic warfare: BEL minesweeper equipment
Armament: 4 × 30 mm (2×2) guns
4 × 30 mm (2×2) AA
4 × 25 mm (2×2) AA
Attaching the newest RFI.

Attachments

View attachment 29459
Total revamp in design philosophy.

From a 700 ton non metallic vessel to now a 2800 ton vessel made of steel with standoff mcm capability.

I like it.

PS: Last month started with my MBA, so was surprised to open the forum after almost a month and find this news today.
So it's happening ;)
All using unmanned systems.

Screenshot_20230805-013405__01.jpg

Congrats on MBA.

From 2015 EOI

Displacement: 885 tons
Length: 63 m
Beam: 10.2 m
Draft: 2.7 m
Propulsion: 2 × diesels, 2 shafts, 3,728 kW (5,000 hp)
Maximum speed: 16 knots
Range: 4,000 nmi (7,400 km) at 10 knots; 3,000 nmi (5,600 km) at 12 knots
Complement: 10 officers, 67 enlisted
Sensors and processing systems: BEL Sonar and BEL Radar
Electronic warfare: BEL minesweeper equipment
Armament: 4 × 30 mm (2×2) guns
4 × 30 mm (2×2) AA
4 × 25 mm (2×2) AA
Attaching the newest RFI.

We have the RFI for the mcm suite

Attachments

Reactions: Fatalis and Ashwin
Sharing a couple of videos about RN's current gen MCM capability. It's a mix of old GRP hulled MCM vessels with a sprinkling of UUVs and AUVs + old school divers. Not the cutting edge but perfectly legitimate in terms of capability. IN is shooting for next gen stand off MCM capability - no harm with that but not at a cost of having 0 mine hunters.

I wonder - do we really need stand off MCM capability at the expense of no capability at all? In reality PN is going to try mining approaches to our harbours. unlike NATO who need to perform MCM far away from own shores.

From industry perspective, GSL built up infra for building large GRP hulled ships - now what is going to happen with that?

Reactions: Ashwin