Korean KF-21 Boramae & Turkish KAAN Fighter Developments

In Korea's and India's case, France or America will provide engines. But yeah, the Turkish engine can become problematic. They are looking for a British solution. They are in the same boat as India is, with India at an advantage.
I don't see USA leaving Turkey without a solution. It is a usefull NATO member after all (no F35 but some more F16V...)
But a nice tool for pressure, about Greece vs Turkey dispute for exemple, or to have something to say in case of a potential export deal.

I don't see USA leaving Turkey without a solution. It is a usefull NATO member after all (no F35 but some more F16V...)
But a nice tool for pressure, about Greece vs Turkey dispute for exemple, or to have something to say in case of a potential export deal.

The Turks politically need an independent solution though. They also want to move up the tech chain.

The Turks politically need an independent solution though. They also want to move up the tech chain.
I know it's a political need, but the turkish R&D and industry background don't have the right level so far to deal with such a hard task.
I see the incremental approach of KF21 less risky than a true 5th gen from scratch. And SK industry >> Turkish one.
I see a poor future for KAAN.

I know it's a political need, but the turkish R&D and industry background don't have the right level so far to deal with such a hard task.
I see the incremental approach of KF21 less risky than a true 5th gen from scratch. And SK industry >> Turkish one.
I see a poor future for KAAN.

I agree. At the very least, it will see significant delays.

From ASELSAN's 2023 activity report:

As predicted, MURAD has become a radar "family". The AESA Radar of Kaan, previously named BÜRFIS, has been coded as the "600A". OTOH, F16's radar is given the code "100A".
1718116419604.png
1718116439836.png

The 'Preliminary Design Period' of the ASELSAN MURAD-600A AESA Nose Radar developed for the KAAN fighter jet has been successfully completed and 'Critical Design' activities have been initiated.

1718116462688.png

Work has been carried out to develop new generation communication subsystems in accordance with the IMA (Integrated Modular Avionics) architecture of the ICNAir-ASQ-9683 system, which is being developed within the scope of the BÜHSET (Integrated Communication Navigation Identification) Project carried out under the MMU program.

1718116512405.png

TOYGUN 100 and TOYGUN 200 preliminary design phases have been completed. The journey towards CDR has begun. (the same situation applies to KARAT IRST)

1718116543650.png

MMU optical systems visual.

1718116565347.png

Prototypes are being produced for MWIS. (F-35 DAS equivalent?)
1718116582313.png

MURAD-100A features 1138 GaN modules, so the 600A should be an upscaled version of it (along with some software differences). AFAICR APG-81 and 83 have more than 75% commonality in software, so the situation should be similar in this case.

1718116643529.png

Saudi delegation examine the Kaan:

1718116699194.png

Reactions: Bon Plan and Ashwin

South Korea orders first batch of KF-21 fighters

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand — Nine years after development of South Korea’s KF-21 Boramae began, the government has signed a deal with Korea Aerospace Industries for the production of 20 fighter jets.

The order comes as KAI reports the fighter’s development is currently 80% complete.

The Defense Acquisition Program Administration awarded KAI the 1.96 trillion won contract (U.S. $1.41 billion) for the Block 1 batch, the company announced June 25. The platforms are considered 4.5-generation aircraft.

The first aircraft will be delivered by the end of 2026, and the final from this series by Aug. 31, 2027, according to KAI.

“Despite many challenges and difficulties, the KF-21 system development project was able to reach mass production stably, thanks to the solid cooperation of related organizations,” KAI President Kang Goo-young said in a news release.

Jinseok Song, who works on the firm’s KF-X program management team, named after the initial title for the KF-21, told Defense News last year that the company would manufacture 40 KF-21 Block I and 80 Block II aircraft. However, DAPA has initially ordered 20, per recommendations from the government-run Korea Institute for Defense Analyses.

The government may order another 20 next year, after further verification of the aircraft’s performance.

Song said production for Block II, slated for development from 2026 to 2028, will add air-to-ground capabilities and an expanded performance envelope. About 2,200 test sorties are to be flown by 2026.

KAI has been preparing for this production contract by readying a supply chain of 600 domestic companies, building production facilities and acquiring tools. KAI aims to achieve a localization rate of 65%, noting that “just as the localization rate gradually improved with delivery of the T-50 [jet] and Surion [helicopter], it’s expected the domestic production rate will increase as the aviation industry ecosystem is strengthened with mass production of the KF-21.”

The KF-21 will replace South Korea’s F-4 and F-5 fighters, with the former having retired this month.

Additional agreements​

DAPA also recently signed a contract with Hanwha Systems for 20 active electronically scanned array radars for 110 billion won.

And on June 25, Hanwha Aerospace announced it inked a 556 billion won contract to produce 40 General Electric F414-GE-400 engines plus spares for the first score of KF-21s.

The first engine is expected to be ready by the end of 2025 and will be produced at a new factory in Changwon. With the capacity to manufacture 300 engines annually, Hanwha Aerospace broke ground for this new $30 million facility in April.

Hanwha Aerospace has reportedly manufactured more than 10,000 aircraft engines over the past 45 years, 82% of which were produced under license.

“This contract serves as a stepping stone for Hanwha Aerospace’s plans to develop next-generation engine technologies,” the company said.

The firm added that it “is actively pursuing research and development in sixth-generation engine technology.”

Similarly, looking beyond the KF-21, KAI said it will “further develop sixth-generation manned and unmanned system technology.”

Reactions: RASALGHUL and BMD
inflammatory article by a pseudo-propaganda outlet but still. Up to HAL/ARDE/DRDO to prove them wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: RASALGHUL
inflammatory article by a pseudo-propaganda outlet but still. Up to HAL/ARDE/DRDO to prove them wrong.

The KF-21 is nothing but AESA, IRST and LO when clean that is why it has entered production so fast. It's a blk 3 F-18E just less capable in the EW realm.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
The KF-21 is nothing but AESA, IRST and LO when clean that is why it has entered production so fast. It's a blk 3 F-18E just less capable in the EW realm.
Yes and no. South Koreans used a multi steps approach : they choose to have a first step bird without bay, and add it in another step. It's interesting and help to speed the process for a limited first batch.
AMCA is intended to have internal bays from the beginning. It's harder.

Reactions: Rajput Lion