LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

The reservation is fine in this case.

The only real relaxation is the age limit, which is 28 for General, 31 for OBC and 33 for SC/ST. And in the personal interview round where they have to score 60% versus 70% for General. In terms of actual knowledge, it's the same for all categories. Everything else is the same, like 60% in your degree and your GATE score.

In R&D, you need the best minds. When the country pumps in money to get results you need the best talent. Not someone who got in because he/she was from a particular caste. Reservation in non-R&D based jobs helps the country overall. Best minds promoted. Are you aware of reservation based promotions in DRDO?

In R&D, you need the best minds. When the country pumps in money to get results you need the best talent. Not someone who got in because he/she was from a particular caste. Reservation in non-R&D based jobs helps the country overall. Best minds promoted. Are you aware of reservation based promotions in DRDO?

What I posted above is from DRDO's reservation policy for scientists.

The only difference is age and personal interview (10% lesser than General). Everything else is the same, ie graduation marks and the GATE score rules are the same for all.

Just because someone is from SC/ST doesn't mean they are stupid. To qualify for a personal interview you still need 60% marks and have a good GATE score.

DRDO Recruitment Through GATE

All vendors have been paid up for this year. Next year is the problem, and IAF will be transferring 14kCr for the payments that will go next year.

“Debts from the government departments are generally treated as fully recoverable and hence the company does not recognize credit risk of such financial assets,” the company has stated in filings.

As its trade receivables have increased, HAL has seen a diminution of its cash and bank balance from a high of Rs 17,671 crore in the 2015 financial year to a low of Rs 725 crore at the end of the first half of the current 2019 financial year.

HAL’s order books are full, its trade receivables up, bank balance down

From 17671 cr to 725 cr, since 2015, its quite sad state of affairs. Pretty much all cash reserves wiped off.

Only survive, not thrive? In my opinion, there's a need to break up HAL into at least 3-4 cos in the near future. One catering to manufacture FA's & Trainer FA's, 2nd to manufacture Civilian Aircrafts like the RTA & transport aircraft / tankers etc for the armed forces. A 3rd co to manufacture helicopters for armed forces & civilian needs including the turbofans needed for such operations and a fourth exclusively to develop & manufacture turbo fans / turbojets including its development which means amalgamation with GTRE.

The first co should see amalgamation with ADA too & the 2nd with NAL with Cross holdings between all 4 cos. HAL in its present form is simply too large, unwieldy and a jack of all trades.

this i fully agree.

In the meantime, they started a program for 30 light fighter jets in the LCA class. So you can now expect LCA, JF-17, Korea's FA-50 and possibly even the Gripen C/D participating in it.
It will take them one or two years to decide on a jet, then a year for negotiations and 3 years for first delivery. They are not expected to sign up until after 2023. Which means any LCAs for Malaysia won't be going to their shores until 2025 or later. This time lag will allow HAL to even replace Mk1A's current avionics with all Indian avionics being developed for Mk2.

absolutely no offence @randomradio - but all I need is this level of optimism in my life.. how do I get it?

What I posted above is from DRDO's reservation policy for scientists.

The only difference is age and personal interview (10% lesser than General). Everything else is the same, ie graduation marks and the GATE score rules are the same for all.

Just because someone is from SC/ST doesn't mean they are stupid. To qualify for a personal interview you still need 60% marks and have a good GATE score.

DRDO Recruitment Through GATE

Let's see what is the difference between what you are saying and what I am saying

You are saying, "Minimum criteria is met". Leads to mediocrity.

What I am saying, "Best candidate with highest marks." Leads to better outputs.

The logic is not they are stupid, the logic is in R&D you need the best brains, not average chaps who clear with minimum requirements. You are trying to equate a process for an admin/factory work with R&D work.

• Agree
Reactions: R!cK
Let's see what is the difference between what you are saying and what I am saying

The logic is not they are stupid, the logic is in R&D you need the best brains, not average chaps who clear with minimum requirements. You are trying to equate a process for an admin/factory work with R&D work.

A $30k per month job in Canada: Trap lured BrahMos scientist Nishant Agarwal to share sensitive data with ISI | India News

Seriously? This is your argument that we should get sub par candidates so that they do not get honey trapped? Are you ready to guarantee that a reserved candidate will not get honey trapped.

50% of our R&D work force got in, not because they were the best, but they belong to a caste and passed minimum criteria. If you are going to share that link as a counter to not getting best candidates, do not ever complain about the incompetency of the DRDO.

Seriously? This is your argument that we should get sub par candidates so that they do not get honey trapped? Are you ready to guarantee that a reserved candidate will not get honey trapped.

50% of our R&D work force got in, not because they were the best, but they belong to a caste and passed minimum criteria. If you are going to share that link as a counter to not getting best candidates, do not ever complain about the incompetency of the DRDO.

PS_0183W_SAY_UNDERSTAND.jpg

Actually it was a bait, now i know @randomradio is wasting his time. Also you should search the meaning of "best".

Trust me. Those with high marks are not exactly the best person for the job. Our education system is such that only those who are good at memorising do well. But what you need to become a scientist are the exact opposite qualities. The willingness to learn for the sake of learning and not marks, and a high level of creativity. Not everybody with high marks have these qualities.

Basically, our education system is extremely mediocre. And in our country, you learn on the job anyway.

The minimum criteria necessary is sufficient standards anyway.

Trust me. Those with high marks are not exactly the best person for the job. Our education system is such that only those who are good at memorising do well. But what you need to become a scientist are the exact opposite qualities. The willingness to learn for the sake of learning and not marks, and a high level of creativity. Not everybody with high marks have these qualities.

Basically, our education system is extremely mediocre. And in our country, you learn on the job anyway.

The minimum criteria necessary is sufficient standards anyway.

I do not get this line of argument. System is flawed. So we do not take the best of what is coming out, we lower it further. I am tired of this line of thinking, our education system is flawed. Well guess what, the American universities are filled with students who are a product of this educations system and are delivering. The problem is with quality levels dropping because of this stupid reservation nonsense that you are talking about.

The people with higher ranking will have a higher probability of getting better output. Its a simple logical argument. Minimum criteria is sufficient standard for research is unbelievable argument. It flies against all known logic.

I do not get this line of argument. System is flawed. So we do not take the best of what is coming out, we lower it further. I am tired of this line of thinking, our education system is flawed. Well guess what, the American universities are filled with students who are a product of this educations system and are delivering. The problem is with quality levels dropping because of this stupid reservation nonsense that you are talking about.

The people with higher ranking will have a higher probability of getting better output. Its a simple logical argument. Minimum criteria is sufficient standard for research is unbelievable argument. It flies against all known logic.

You haven't understood at all. The quota reservations in DRDO and ISRO are irrelevant simply because the standards are pretty much the same in terms of brain power. SC/ST, General etc doesn't matter when the GATE score cut off is the same.

The only leeway is age, which is also largely irrelevant in R&D.

DRDO's quality level has been increasing, not dropping. You are confused between reservations in educational institutions versus DRDO/ISRO etc. DRDO/ISRO standards are largely the same for all categories.

I think the original contention was GSH30 integration needs fatigue testing of air frame.

You get a telling silence from so many defence journalists, or even veterans, when you ask the simple question, what took ADA so long since IOC in 2013, to integrate a gun that is produced in India, operational in the fleet?

We are going into the 6th freaking year after IOC2 and they couldn't integrate and flight test the gun??? Another epic failure of ADA in this programme!

You get a telling silence from so many defence journalists, or even veterans, when you ask the simple question, what took ADA so long since IOC in 2013, to integrate a gun that is produced in India, operational in the fleet?

We are going into the 6th freaking year after IOC2 and they couldn't integrate and flight test the gun??? Another epic failure of ADA in this programme!

It's because gun trials were accorded the lowest priority.

I don't think integration of the gun is a big deal. Sengupta's contention there is incorrect.

Tejas production disrupted, as air force sits on proposals

For ten months now, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd’s (HAL’s) proposal to manufacture 83 Tejas Mark 1A fighters, which the ministry of defence (MoD) green-lighted in December 2017, has been pending with the Indian Air Force (IAF).

With no clearance forthcoming from the IAF’s “technical evaluation committee” (TEC), the project remains in limbo. HAL’s commercial bid remains unopened and an actual production order, at a price to be fixed by a “cost negotiating committee”, is nowhere in sight.

This Tejas Mark 1A order, worth Rs 50,000 crore in the estimation of Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, constitutes half the orders worth Rs 100,000 crore that she told Parliament had been given to HAL, and then later clarified were “in the pipeline”.

The pipeline should have a clearly defined length. The Defence Procurement Procedure of 2016 (DPP-2016) requires the TEC to complete its evaluation in 10 weeks. It has already been with the IAF for 10 months.

Contacted for comments, the IAF has not responded.

Reactions: Sancho