Missile Test Watch

NOTAM issued (23-25 Oct 0630-1030 UTC or 12:00-4:00 PM IST) :

View attachment 10691

Plotted on a map :

View attachment 10692

Any idea what this could be ? The danger zone is in the middle of the ocean, so sea-bourne weapon ? Maybe Nirbhay or Brahmos or some other sea-skimmer.

This warning must be issued by Australian authorities , hence the Melbourne reference . They may have plotted only the part that comes under their area of interest .

From the plotting it looks like a long range BM test .... the area Australians plotted must be where the RV falls into .

This warning must be issued by Australian authorities , hence the Melbourne reference . They may have plotted only the part that comes under their area of interest .

From the plotting it looks like a long range BM test .... the area Australians plotted must be where the RV falls into .
Yeah I've been thinking about the reference. So it is possible that the GoI notified the Aussies about the test and they issued the NOTAM. But why is it that the splash zone is marked danger zone, but the launch site isn't ? Why didn't the GoI issue the NOTAM themselves like they usually do ?

Correct me if I am wrong.

As far as I know, a NOTAM danger area is only issued when there is an experimental flight scheduled to fly at a certain range of height(i.e. the range of height at which most commercial planes fly). If the flight is meant to be flying lower or higher, its not designated a danger zone. For example, the pic below marks the danger zone and the probable flight path of an Agni 5 missile. Notice how a significant part of the flight path isn't marked in the danger zone, that's because the missile will be outside the commercial flying height then. Keep in mind this was meant to be a depressed altitude flight, not a fully ballistic filght(hence the reduced range of 3000 km only).
View attachment 10696
The point I am trying to make with this photo is that it is possible to have experimental flight of weapons without issuing a NOTAM danger zone, as long as you are flying low or high enough.

But the common thing across all our missile test is that the Abdul Kalam Island is always marked as a danger zone, that's where the flight originates from. Here that's not the case. If you look at the NOTAM issued the danger zone resembles the splash area danger zone of a ballistic missile test. But where is the origin ? Its possible that a missile is fired off from land/sea and it flies low then attains a height at the kill phase, but that makes no sense. Why would any weapon want to do that ? Its also possible that the missile is fired off from sea, it attains a height and eventually it drops to a much lower altitude(Nirbhay/Brahmos does that) or maybe just loiters with in the danger zone(Nirbhay can do that too).

That's why I think its a Nirbhay.

But you are right that Nirbhay has a raft of hurdles to overcome. Let's wait and find out.

Each edge is well over 200 km. For the above stated reasons I too believe its an AShM.

That is not a Agni 5 test .... The launch seems to be from around Vizag ... So this was a SLBM test .

Yeah I've been thinking about the reference. So it is possible that the GoI notified the Aussies about the test and they issued the NOTAM. But why is it that the splash zone is marked danger zone, but the launch site isn't ? Why didn't the GoI issue the NOTAM themselves like they usually do ?

The two sides of the warning seems to converge somewhere around vizag .... SO by all possibility the current test also seems like that of a SLBM test .

GoI has not issued any warning yet ...... Test is around 23-25 .... They usually only issue warning within one week of test .

@Gautam with brahmos getting tested don't know 75 th time, it isn't entering in my brain anymore..

I think with quick tests of bhramos often, it might soon cross prithvi test fires in the region of 100..

The misslile we discussed to be tested 23 -25 .. Starting tomorrow..

@Gautam with brahmos getting tested don't know 75 th time, it isn't entering in my brain anymore..

I think with quick tests of bhramos often, it might soon cross prithvi test fires in the region of 100..

The misslile we discussed to be tested 23 -25 .. Starting tomorrow..
You know DRDO often uses the guise of a Prithvi/Agni test to test other missiles. Since NOTAMs have to be put out publicly, we've to say we tested something. So we say we tested a Prithvi for the nth time even though it makes absolutely no sense to test an old missile so many times.

Who knows they might be doing the same for Brahmos. Or maybe they are just letting the A&N Command get used to firing Brahmos from time to time.

This is fouth such test to check the automated launch of multiple missiles to create an impact area. Long Back I had written about it to Late Parrikar who sent it to SFC. These test ensure that we can take out everyone in Pak Punjab within five minutes and kill over 75% of its population. This test is same as multiple round simulteneous impact (MRSI) used by artillery. The impact of both these missiles would have been at different places but simulteneously. In actual case, seven of them will be fired, six will be at 60* apart and one for the center. We need just 14x15KT nukes to take out Pakistan and kill over 75% of their population. Ewe need 34 of them to finish off over 90% of their poulation.

This is fouth such test to check the automated launch of multiple missiles to create an impact area. Long Back I had written about it to Late Parrikar who sent it to SFC. These test ensure that we can take out everyone in Pak Punjab within five minutes and kill over 75% of its population. This test is same as multiple round simulteneous impact (MRSI) used by artillery. The impact of both these missiles would have been at different places but simulteneously. In actual case, seven of them will be fired, six will be at 60* apart and one for the center. We need just 14x15KT nukes to take out Pakistan and kill over 75% of their population. Ewe need 34 of them to finish off over 90% of their poulation.
Very interesting analogy of the artillery there. Thank you, that made it easy to understand. Now the multiple tests makes sense. Though shouldn't we be practicing these tactics with newer Pralay missiles instead of the Prithvi. Pralay missiles can drastically reduce the time to impact compared to Prithvi thus reducing vulnerability to AD.

Pralay tests were supposed to happen at the end of last year. Almost a year after that we still haven't had that test yet.

Very interesting analogy of the artillery there. Thank you, that made it easy to understand. Now the multiple tests makes sense. Though shouldn't we be practicing these tactics with newer Pralay missiles instead of the Prithvi. Pralay missiles can drastically reduce the time to impact compared to Prithvi thus reducing vulnerability to AD.

Pralay tests were supposed to happen at the end of last year. Almost a year after that we still haven't had that test yet.
These Prithvi missile are old stock which are nearing their life. We always use old stock for such exercises and build them on the new ones

These Prithvi missile are old stock which are nearing their life. We always use old stock for such exercises and build them on the new ones
Could you please elaborate on the bold part ?

Wouldn't we still need to carry out the same tests with the newer missiles to re-validate the results obtained by these tests ? We don't know much about the current state of the newer short range ballistic missiles. As such is it safe to exhaust our old but still effective stocks, when replacements don't appear to be in sight ?

Could you please elaborate on the bold part ?

Wouldn't we still need to carry out the same tests with the newer missiles to re-validate the results obtained by these tests ? We don't know much about the current state of the newer short range ballistic missiles. As such is it safe to exhaust our old but still effective stocks, when replacements don't appear to be in sight ?
There are two things which need to be done. One is to validate a concept and second is to apply them to other systems. The lessons learnt from one system and proven need not be tested on newer systems if proven robust. However to train the forces such tests will be needed with the equipment in use. What we are doing now is validation and perfection of systems which can be applied across platforms. There will be tests with A1 missiles also including Paralay missiles. But they will be more to check the applicability of lessons learnt from these old missiles.
Regarding replacement of old stock, Let me remind you that Prithvi series is liquid fuelled and our latest generation missiles are all solid fuelled and hermetically sealed with warhead in ready to launch containers.

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam
Many thanks for writing the letter. (y)

So this is basically validating the 1st strike ideology with total destruction? So that the adversary is left with no option to conduct second strike? And if he does the option is minimum credible destruction.

Many thanks for writing the letter. (y)

So this is basically validating the 1st strike ideology with total destruction? So that the adversary is left with no option to conduct second strike? And if he does the option is minimum credible destruction.
Exactly. You got it right. The same is being extended to A4 & A5 also to take down complete Chinese population which is concentrated within 40% of chinese territory. We are homogeniously extended across India but Chinese are concentrated within east China. Very easy to eliminate. In case of nuke war with China, some indians will survive but Only some Tibbetens will survive in China.

Reactions: screambowl