Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels of Indian Navy and Coast Guard : Updates & Discussions

Did it?

INS Shivalik
Laid down - July 2001
Launched - April 2003
(1 year, 9 months)

INS Nilgiri
Laid down - December 2017
Launched - September 2019
(1 year, 9 months)

Our 'launches' happen without any of the sensors & weapons so they can't be an excuse if we're only counting the time up to the launch.
I was talking about time between laid down to commissioning. Shivalik class took on average 9 years each. INS Nilgiri, if delivered by late 2024, would have taken 7 years.

That's not bad given the Nilgiris are larger & carry a sensor package that would out-match the Shivaliks any day.
I don't know how or where they've messed up, but they have.
This is true. There was also talk of follow up orders of the Niligiri class. I was hoping that would materialize by now. Can't be doing piecemeal orders and expecting rapid improvements in the shipbuilding industry.
Really wish we had a Pvt yard like L&T Kattupalli building major surface combatants.
The PSU shipyard nomination system is terrible & it needs to go. At least we should have used private builders to build out the hull & superstructures, then let the PSU shipyards to outfitting. Instead, we have wasted that capacity. And now with the lack of follow-on orders we are also wasting PSU shipyard's capacities.

Screenshot_2024-08-08-22-15-51-45_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg