Norwegian Naval Strike Missile officially selected to arm US Navy ships.

Technofox

May 26, 2018
West Sweden, Best Sweden
The Norwegian-designed Naval Strike Missile has been officially selected to serve as the Littoral Combat Ship’s over-the-horizon anti-ship weapon, according to a Thursday Pentagon contract announcement.

The $14.8 million contract awarded to Raytheon will purchase the first round of missiles that will be incorporated on to the Freedom and Independence variants of the Littoral Combat Ships as part of Fiscal Year 2018 funds for OTH weapon research and development. The value could grow to $847.6 million if all contract options are exercised.

The award calls for the delivery of the Kongsberg designed, “encanistered missiles loaded into launching mechanisms; and a single fire control suite.” The contract did not specify how many missiles were paid for in the contract, but USNI News understands the Thursday award buys about a dozen missiles.

The subsonic NSM has been in service with the Royal Norwegian Navy since 2012. The weapon has a range of about 100 nautical miles with a cost of slightly less than the Raytheon Tomahawk Block IV cruise missile (the Navy quotes the price per round of the TLAMs at $569,000 per round in FY 1999 dollars (about $868,000 in 2018, adjusted for inflation)).

The companies announced they would pair together to compete for new U.S. anti-ship missile contracts in 2015. In 2016 Raytheon and Kongsberg agreed to assemble and test the Norwegian missile’s components in Raytheon’s Tucson, Ariz. facility and the launchers at Raytheon’s plant in Louisville, Ky.

The award to the Raytheon-Kongsberg team comes as little surprise as the Naval Strike Missile was the only competitor for the OTH contract. The Boeing Harpoon Block II Plus and the Lockheed Martin Long-Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM) were both withdrawn by their respective companies from the competition last year. Both Boeing and Lockheed complained that Navy requirements for the OTH missiles did not value the networking capability of their offerings, several sources confirmed to USNI News.

The OTH program for LCS emerged in tandem with the U.S. surface navy’s distributed lethality push in 2015.

https://news.usni.org/2018/05/31/ra...-anti-surface-weapon-contract-deal-worth-848m

From my collection...

Deck launchers.

334C4405.t562516ce.m1200.xC8jAKOcg.jpg

The Skjold class corvettes of the Norwegian Navy have twin quad popup launchers for 8 NSM missiles per boat.

20160226ee_5.t56d00a46.m800.xL6Sp6wts.jpg

20170213LTR_8742.t58aabfda.m800.xtN_fb-SS.jpg

20170216LTR_0073.t58aac0b6.m800.xSNjLWoAd.jpg

ThorHeyerdahl_21.t55e523f8.m800.xkYW3AQ4Y.jpg

In action.

_mg_0174.jpg

nsm%20launch%20e3%20knm%20gnist%202.t5242a63a.m1200.xFt08eROu.jpg

O_PEDERTORPMATHISEN_001.t51aefe2c.m800.xlopzPH1L.JPG

O_PEDERTORPMATHISEN_004.t51aefe24.m800.xu2D7Htef.JPG

Several countries use the NSM missile. Poland operates shore batteries while the missile is the primary AShM of the Norwegian Navy. Germany has also signed a contract for several hundred NSM missiles and launchers to arm their warships. Having the Americans buy your kit is a pretty big seal of approval though(y).

The NSM class has no competition. All other missiles are too big or too heavy or are old designs.

How about NSM arming the F 35 or F 22...??

NSM doesn't fit into the internal bay of either aircraft, but JSM will. The JSM missile has a range of up to 500km, a larger warhead and is being developed for use on helicopters and aircraft, ship VLS launchers and submarine torpedo tubes and VLS launchers.

_D3S5702HQ.t524a8f30.m800.xxS1Ng3hv.JPG

BI41051.jpg

JSM has undergone flight testing in the United States with operational readiness expected by 2020 with the Norwegian Air Force for our F-35As.

p1635823.jpg

160407-F-HP195-003.JPG

Germany, Poland, Australia, the US, Norway, Japan and possibly the UK are all expected to use the JSM missile. Turkey's SOM-J is its direct competitor on the F-35, but with Turkey being a Black Sheep in Europe, it's unlikely to see large orders from Western F-35 users.

e051659a5b3c13ea6bef3492dc4064e5.jpg

Reactions: Milspec
So in layman's terms what's the difference between the NSM / JSM & the various versions of Brahmos - the ones in use and the ones in development ? Which of the two is superior & why ? @Technofox ; @randomradio ;

@vstol Jockey

The NSM is a compact missile while the JSM is a larger cousin with a bigger warhead and more range. The JSM is also capable of being air launched from the F-35. Both missiles are more stealthy and more capable than older missiles like Harpoon, Uran and Exocet.

The NSM/JSM carry IIR seekers while the other three carry radar seekers. Both seeker types have their advantages and disadvantages.

Brahmos is a different class of missile and can complement the NSM/JSM. In India's case, while our frigates and destroyers will be equipped with Brahmos, our smaller ships carry JSM class missiles. We are looking to replace our Urans over the next few years, so there's a small chance Norway will participate in the new tender. We need this on 24 ships.

The NSM is a compact missile while the JSM is a larger cousin with a bigger warhead and more range. The JSM is also capable of being air launched from the F-35. Both missiles are more stealthy and more capable than older missiles like Harpoon, Uran and Exocet.

The NSM/JSM carry IIR seekers while the other three carry radar seekers. Both seeker types have their advantages and disadvantages.

Brahmos is a different class of missile and can complement the NSM/JSM. In India's case, while our frigates and destroyers will be equipped with Brahmos, our smaller ships carry JSM class missiles. We are looking to replace our Urans over the next few years, so there's a small chance Norway will participate in the new tender. We need this on 24 ships.

As per Parikrama France also cooperating in some naval missile.

What's that metallic net like thing flying off at the end of video ?
Any armour of sort for bunker ?

Thermal-optic camo. The NSM and JSM missiles don't use any form of active guidance like a radar, they're strictly passive which makes them much more stealthy. As a result they rely on imaging infrared, GPS, INS or automatic target recognition for guidance. Those nets lower the thermal signature of the target making it more difficult for missiles like NSM to find and destroy, but as you saw in the video, not impossible either.

Most likely its SAAB's Barracuda which is used on Norwegian armor and for infantry cover.

20180307-osh_jr18-8.t5aa0ce92.m800.xmGa1P4hP.jpg

20180308-jointr18_osh-8.t5aab9b14.m800.xnRqbZ82Q.jpg

20180423_OSH_treshold-12.t5ae03f70.m800.xzny9UKIC.jpg

20180220FR-3246.t5a8bc376.m800.x0Y7lLzSP.jpg

As for the bunker: built with steel reinforced concrete. We've a lot of experience building bunkers. In face, Norway's littered with coastal artillery emplacements and WWII German artillery guns.

arkiv_frm2000_1613_document.t43e1e63c.m800.x-DJ7F01y.JPG

arkiv_1998__2831_document.t43e094b8.m800.x24Wge9S8.jpg

Norway also has a ton of subterranean complexes, including for storing the USMC's gear and for hiding radar arrays when they're not in use.

tk0R1966.t5535d5b5.m800.xo-g0VIgT.jpg

arkiv_FMS2006_251_document.t4641a9b8.m800.xPHQoNXnx.jpg

tk0R2082.t5533cb3e.m800.xOvDkNA8U.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sathya
Incredible that Norway out of all countries could produce something this efficient and well liked.

It is not very easy to muscle your way into the American procurement industry.

Thermal-optic camo. The NSM and JSM missiles don't use any form of active guidance like a radar, they're strictly passive which makes them much more stealthy. As a result they rely on imaging infrared, GPS, INS or automatic target recognition for guidance. Those nets lower the thermal signature of the target making it more difficult for missiles like NSM to find and destroy, but as you saw in the video, not impossible either.

Most likely its SAAB's Barracuda which is used on Norwegian armor and for infantry cover.

20180307-osh_jr18-8.t5aa0ce92.m800.xmGa1P4hP.jpg

20180308-jointr18_osh-8.t5aab9b14.m800.xnRqbZ82Q.jpg

20180423_OSH_treshold-12.t5ae03f70.m800.xzny9UKIC.jpg

20180220FR-3246.t5a8bc376.m800.x0Y7lLzSP.jpg

As for the bunker: built with steel reinforced concrete. We've a lot of experience building bunkers. In face, Norway's littered with coastal artillery emplacements and WWII German artillery guns.

arkiv_frm2000_1613_document.t43e1e63c.m800.x-DJ7F01y.JPG

arkiv_1998__2831_document.t43e094b8.m800.x24Wge9S8.jpg

Norway also has a ton of subterranean complexes, including for storing the USMC's gear and for hiding radar arrays when they're not in use.

tk0R1966.t5535d5b5.m800.xo-g0VIgT.jpg

arkiv_FMS2006_251_document.t4641a9b8.m800.xPHQoNXnx.jpg

tk0R2082.t5533cb3e.m800.xOvDkNA8U.jpg
Extremely informative and entertaining write up , what with all the pics !

I'm just wondering , how come a medic carries so much tech info about the armed forces but rarely comments about medical issues. Could you pls enlighten us ?!

As per Parikrama France also cooperating in some naval missile.

The extent of the cooperation is not known, but I think the main interest is in a coastal defence system based on the Exocet. But it's not necessary that we will choose French systems alone, we will choose the best that's available.

Reactions: Sathya
Incredible that Norway out of all countries could produce something this efficient and well liked.

The Norwegians are not even close to living up to their potential. Just look at Sweden and Israel.

I'm just wondering , how come a medic carries so much tech info about the armed forces but rarely comments about medical issues. Could you pls enlighten us mausiji ?!

I work for Kongsberg Maritime, my dads a Major General in the Norwegian Army and I've friends and contacts throughout the service too, so there's where my insight into military tech comes from. Many (not all, but most) of the photos I post were taken by me. I was trained as a rescue swimmer and combat medic in the 330 SAR Squadron and am re-certified every year to perform everything short of major surgeries. Ironically I've little interest in air combat or systems despite being an Air Force gal. I prefer naval weapon systems since I love water and have done rotations on several Navy and Coast Guard ships. But mostly because I love being on or under the water.

Why I don't like to talk about medical issues is due to a very personal connection with a major incident - the 2011 Norway Attacks by Anders Breivik. I was in my first year in the service during the time, my unit was deployed to Utøya‎ to provide medical evac and support for the police and civilian medical services who were not only unprepared for battlefield injuries and fatalities, but who were overwhelmed by the volume of casualties which had not been seen in Norway since WWII. I was in my first year of service doing what I was trained for, treating battlefield injuries, but wasn't prepared for what I would witness at all. It's even more personal when you know some of the victims including your girlfriend's (yes, that's right) older brother, whom you personally witness die from their injuries.

I don't like to discuss medical issues because when I do they conjure images like this in my mind.

02a-oslo-bomb-explosion-23-07-111.jpg

And I've seen worse.

Last edited:
I work for Kongsberg Maritime, my dads a Major General in the Norwegian Army and I've friends and contacts throughout the service too, so there's where my insight into military tech comes from. Many (not all, but most) of the photos I post were taken by me. I was trained as a rescue swimmer and combat medic in the 330 SAR Squadron and am re-certified every year to perform everything short of major surgeries. Ironically I've little interest in air combat or systems despite being an Air Force gal. I prefer naval weapon systems since I love water and have done rotations on several Navy and Coast Guard ships. But mostly because I love being on or under the water.

Why I don't like to talk about medical issues is due to a very personal connection with a major incident - the 2011 Norway Attacks by Anders Breivik. I was in my first year in the service during the time, my unit was deployed to Utøya‎ to provide medical evac and support for the police and civilian medical services who were not only unprepared for battlefield injuries and fatalities, but who were overwhelmed by the volume of casualties which had not been seen in Norway since WWII. I was in my first year of service doing what I was trained for, treating battlefield injuries, but wasn't prepared for what I would witness at all. It's even more personal when you know some of the victims including your girlfriend's (yes, that's right) older brother, whom you personally witness die from their injuries.

I don't like to discuss medical issues because when I do they conjure images like this in my mind.

And I've seen worse.
Sorry to her that. Time is the best healer, all I can say at this moment.

And I've seen worse.
Wow ! Impressive credentials Ma'am . Sorry to rake up painful memories . Wasn't my intention. My apologies .

It might be uprising to learn, but Norway's made inroads with the US before, though generally with less flashy kit:

Norwegian Armed Forces

Maritime sensors and commercial and military space command and control are two big areas that Norway's exploited across the globe, while the NFM group arms most many modern militaries in North America and Europe including Norway, the US and even France.

ext

One that's higher profile then body armor or mine hunting sonars is the Protector RWS that arms vehicles across the NATO nations and major NATO partners like Australia and Sweden.

1920px-Remote_Weapons_Station_on_a_Canadian_Nyala_-a.jpg

NSM and JSM definitely have great export potnential with orders already piling up, but they're by no means the first Norwegian defence kit to find success abroad.

The Norwegians are not even close to living up to their potential. Just look at East Norway and Israel.

FTFY. Don't make up countries:mad:.

Last edited: