Proposed US Navy Future Carrier Air Wing

Yes, in the image they are listing an Air Wing consisting of 75 aircraft. Which is within the capacity of a Ford-class to carry (I would imagine even more can be carried under full load conditions). Carrier will have control of the drones. However, the control can be handed off to a ground station once mid-flight if needed.

Still very early for IN to adopt all this. IAC-2 is only expected to come by ~2030. By that time I would imagine a naval version of AURA will at least be in development. Our role & involvement in affairs stretching all around the IOR is already significant (Maldives, Seychelles, Mauritius, Gulf of Aden, A&N islands, Malacca Straits, etc. all these are very important spots from IN perspective).

One can only expect this role to increase. And with the 4 LHDs and 5 Fleet Support Ships, the ability to conduct operations (both military & HADR-related) across the world will be solidified.
So the only it left is the will and Finance!

+

Just realise that the HMS QE doesn't have an Angle deck - this will complicate the use of arresting gear in the future

• Agree
Reactions: Parthu
If you already have CATOBAR, then whats the point of having STOBAR except taking up useful deck space with the ramp?

This type of CAT+STOBAR setup is conceptualized by navies like Russia where they have large number of existing aircraft types which are not made to be structurally capable of withstanding catapult launch, and for whom modifying the aircraft for CAT capability costs too much money.

We are not experimenting with EMALS, the US is. Any kinks or problems with the new tech will be ironed out by the US minimum 10 years before we even start launching aircraft from EMALS (which is not likely to happen before 2030). By then EMALS would be pretty mature technology.

What I meant is, we have to start now if we have to have it. We shouldnb't expect USA will hand ToT for it to us. Why would they?? We have to do it on our own.

I mean chip manufacturing is also a mature technology, but do we have it?? I mean the serious category 5nm types. No. Same logic. No one is going to hand over these kinds of things just like that.

What I meant is, we have to start now if we have to have it. We shouldnb't expect USA will hand ToT for it to us. Why would they?? We have to do it on our own.

We are not talking of building EMALS, nor making them under license with ToT. For 1 or 2 carriers (which is what we're going to get the sanctions to build), developing or manufacturing such devices at home is a completely cost-prohibitive exercise.

Even the US would not have bothered to develop EMALS if they were only going to use it for 1 or 2 ships. It's only because the US almost continuously builds carriers (the last Nimitz-class ship was commissioned only in 2009 and already the next class, Ford, is underway) that this type of investment in cutting-edge carrier technology was justified.

I mean chip manufacturing is also a mature technology, but do we have it?? I mean the serious category 5nm types. No. Same logic. No one is going to hand over these kinds of things just like that.

Microprocessors are entirely different ball game from things like EMALS. Chips, there is demand for billions of them throughout the world, EMALS is a one-of-a-kind tech that can only be justified if one is coming from a particular foundation of continuing requirement. If we never got to building 10 carriers of a class one after the other, then there's no way for us to develop EMALS without spending probably 2000% more than what just buying 1 or 2 examples from the US would.

As of giving tech away, no one said anything about US giving any tech to India wrt EMALS. It'll be a government-to-government purchase with no ToT and probably little to no local manufacturing content. There will still be offset obligations though, under the current DPP.

As of why we didn't get around to setting up foundries for all kinds of chips, that is an entirely different topic and I don't want to go off like that. But I will say the reason in two words: Poor planning.

We are not talking of building EMALS, nor making them under license with ToT. For 1 or 2 carriers (which is what we're going to get the sanctions to build), developing or manufacturing such devices at home is a completely cost-prohibitive exercise.

Even the US would not have bothered to develop EMALS if they were only going to use it for 1 or 2 ships. It's only because the US almost continuously builds carriers (the last Nimitz-class ship was commissioned only in 2009 and already the next class, Ford, is underway) that this type of investment in cutting-edge carrier technology was justified.

Microprocessors are entirely different ball game from things like EMALS. Chips, there is demand for billions of them throughout the world, EMALS is a one-of-a-kind tech that can only be justified if one is coming from a particular foundation of continuing requirement. If we never got to building 10 carriers of a class one after the other, then there's no way for us to develop EMALS without spending probably 2000% more than what just buying 1 or 2 examples from the US would.

As of giving tech away, no one said anything about US giving any tech to India wrt EMALS. It'll be a government-to-government purchase with no ToT and probably little to no local manufacturing content. There will still be offset obligations though, under the current DPP.

As of why we didn't get around to setting up foundries for all kinds of chips, that is an entirely different topic and I don't want to go off like that. But I will say the reason in two words: Poor planning.

We make the market. Sell it to other friendly countries also to make it easy on budget.

They won't give it away. ANd if they do, it should not be trusted. All tech that has electronics in it, we should build ourselves.