SAAB Gripen : Updates and Discussions

Why do we always go for over the top expensive options instead of keeping it simple. Sometimes i believe lack of options is better , you stick to it.
Global eye looks quite reasonable for our needs.

So, the BrAF gets today what we should be getting ( Mk2) by 2028-29 & not later, hopefully, by which time the Grippen E will be a few years short of its MLU.
No, this Gripen is owned by the Brazilian Air Force, but this is just the beginning of the testing of the Brazilian version in Brazil. It remains to finish the development and then pass the IOC and then the FOC.

No, this Gripen is owned by the Brazilian Air Force, but this is just the beginning of the testing of the Brazilian version in Brazil. It remains to finish the development and then pass the IOC and then the FOC.
I don't quite know the protocol BrAF follows w.r.t IOC Or the FOC but they're gradually inducting Grippens into their AF & building up their fleet.

I don't quite know the protocol BrAF follows w.r.t IOC Or the FOC but they're gradually inducting Grippens into their AF & building up their fleet.
From your link:
The activities in Brazil will include flight control and climate control systems tests along with testing in tropical climatic conditions.

Trials will also demonstrate the characteristics of the Brazilian aircraft, which include armaments integration and the Link BR2 communication system.

FAB at Wing 2 in Anápolis will receive the first fighters at the end of next year.
So more than one year of test before induction begin.

Yes I'm aware of it. I was referring to the IOC / FOC issue you brought up. The article makes no mention of it but you did so I thought you may have additional inputs.
It's normal step: when the development is closed industrie cannot make anything else, so the plane is delivered to the air force but is not able to go to war the next day! In France for exemple there is operational test by the CEAM and writing of user manual and elaboration of tactic and so on and only after that there is induction of the plane and you have IOC when there are enough pilots capable of implementing the CEAM's recommendations. FOC is when all the desired capabilities of the plane are available for the largest number of pilots.
So IOC and FOC are mainly operational steps, but these steps are impossible if the technical development of the aircraft is not sufficiently advanced.

For the Indian Rafale, these steps were carried out in parallel with a transfer of French procedures to the IAF and training of Indian pilots according to these procedures. This allows an interesting operational stage to be reached quickly and this does not prevent the IAF from developing procedures specific to it and which will be applied for the FOC.

It's normal step: when the development is closed industrie cannot make anything else, so the plane is delivered to the air force but is not able to go to war the next day! In France for exemple there is operational test by the CEAM and writing of user manual and elaboration of tactic and so on and only after that there is induction of the plane and you have IOC when there are enough pilots capable of implementing the CEAM's recommendations. FOC is when all the desired capabilities of the plane are available for the largest number of pilots.
So IOC and FOC are mainly operational steps, but these steps are impossible if the technical development of the aircraft is not sufficiently advanced.
Thanks for the detailed exposition. I gather, the IOC / FOC would take about a year or 2 from what you've posted.

Upset By ‘Politically Influenced’ F-35 Deal, SAAB Pins Hopes On ‘Impartial’ Canada For Gripen Fighter Jet Contract

For some strange reason & surprisingly so most western countries have a rather poor opinion about the collective intelligence of the Canadians & Aussies.

The French almost suckered the latter till Big Bros US & UK took umbrage at it as the Aussies were theirs & theirs alone to sucker.

Wait till 2045 I say, when the Aussies - low wattage as they are , realise the game. It'd be too late by then but not too late , for that discovery could well herald a revival & possibly achievement of Republican status finally this severing the umbilical cord with the parent nation.

In Canada, both Gripen and F-35 have cleared the tech checks. Now it's all about money. So it's Gripen's to win.

But if Gripen loses at this point, it's only because Canada decided to go against their tender rules. There's nothing more to it.

Reactions: Domobran7