Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Mobik life:

Reports suggest that Russian commanders are demanding a standard bribe of a month's salary – 100,000 rubles ($1,100) – to allow their men go on leave. Those without money or connections are spending months fighting on the front line without being rotated or rested.​
The practice of commanders demanding bribes for leave has been reported previously. Interviews by Siberia.Reality (an offshoot of Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty) suggest that it's widespread, and that Putin's promise of periodic leave is mostly being ignored.​
Relatives of mobilised Russians complain that their men have not been allowed leave. In February 2023, Putin promised soldiers would get 14 days' leave every 6 months. In reality, men have gone as long as 10 months without leave.​
It's well established that this has a very bad impact on combat effectiveness. Sustained fighting led to 98 percent of Western Allied soldiers in WW2 becoming "psychiatric casualties" within 60 days. The Russian Army seems to be ignoring this.​
Relatives of mobilised soldiers from the 1439th regiment complained recently that their men were being forced to pay bribes of 100,000 rubles to be allowed to go on leave.​
The mother of one of the men says that her son has been fighting "for eight months now, without rest, without a rotation. He was taken away at the end of September and we have not seen each other since. In December, after training, he was already in Ukraine, and, as he says, their regiment never leaves the front line."​
She says that "last time I didn't recognise him from the video [call], he's aged, he looks older than me, his mother! He could barely move his tongue. He came back from the hospital after being wounded near Avdiivka, he hadn't even served ten days there. What is this? Is there no one left to fight? According to him, the same people go on holiday - some of them have already been twice, but my son has never been. Why is it so? Corruption even in the army?"​
A wife, Irina from Vladivostok, says that commanders demand 100,000 ruble bribes for leave. "Those who are close to the commanders and look to them in one place now go on leave. Connections and money decide. We have neither."​
Another wife, Anastasia from Irkutsk, says that in her husband's unit the demanded bribe is even bigger. Commanders take bribes not just for leave but to place soldiers in safer rear positions, away from the dangers of the front line.​
"We don't get [to pay] 100,000, but 200,000 [for the opportunity to take leave]. My husband paid two of his [monthly] salaries and was home for a fortnight in May. Although he left in September and was in training until December, logically, he should have been given leave in May. But they don't give [leave] just like that." Anastasia says.​
She says that her husband "also paid to be given a place as a "head of logistics" [managing the receipt and distribution of supplies in the Donetsk region] away from the front line. He did not say how much, but simply explained that he had "managed to reach an agreement"."​
Anastasia guessed the amount to be a further 200,000 rubles, because "for two months he had not transferred a single ruble to my son and me. Thank God I work, we can afford it. Some girls on maternity leave in the village – where will they get the money from if he spends half of it on the war? Where to buy petrol, where to buy a generator – 100,000 at best was left."​
In some cases, she says, commanders rip off their troops by taking bribes and then not letting their men have leave.​
"I heard from other wives that they took money and did not let their husbands go ... One says that commanders also demand 100,000 rubles from soldiers for not sending them to the front."​
Tatyana from Irkutsk says that her son Vasily has not been allowed to take leave for 10 months since he was mobilised in September 2022.​
"I keep in touch with him, he says he is very tired morally," she says. She has complained to the military prosecutor, without any response. "I recently found out: to go on holiday, the commanders take money – 100,000 rubles." According to Tatyana, commanders also ask for 100,000 rubles to not send men to the front line.​
While all of this is in clear violation of Putin's February 2023 promise, as a military lawyer notes, his words have no legal effect because they have never been made into law.​
"His words have no legal force," says lawyer Alexander Semyonov. "This decision must be approved by a normative act. When and how it will be adopted is still unknown." /end​
Source:​

In a video and interview, relatives of mobilised Russians fighting in southern Ukraine say that the Russian military "is not an army, but a prison" where men are sent to "die like cattle under shelling." The relatives are getting neither pay nor aid from the government.​
Men from Russia's 394th regiment have appeared previously in a video appealing for help (translated in the link below). They say they lack basic supplies, haven't been rested or rotated in 10 months, and haven't been paid since January.​
Their relatives have also recorded a video in which they speak about the men's problems. They appeal to Putin and the army leadership to ensure that their men are properly supplied and "not being sent into horrible conditions."​
Tatyana from Barnaul says that her son was mobilised in September, was sent to Ukraine in December and has been fighting since April in the Zaporizhzhia region. Her son's unit was recently pushed out of the village of Novodarivka but were already in a desperate situation.​
"Since the beginning of June they were left there near Novodarivka all alone – only one company commander for more than a hundred men! All the rest – officers – are sitting in the headquarters, they go to the front line once a fortnight at most. By the 20th of June they had run out of shells and ammunition. They didn't even have any rations left. Why sit there with automatic rifles, which they can at best use as sticks? Of course, they started to retreat!"​
"Only then did the officers start to move – but instead of helping them, they threatened them with jail. In reply, they said all sorts of rubbish: "Why are you rebelling?! You have everything!" The men said, "Where's the ammunition? "What can I use to load my rifles with?" The officer's shouting back: "Stop the riot!" What riot? They just refuse to die like cattle under shelling."​
The relatives confirm the men's claims that they have not been paid since January and speak about the effect it's having on them. One wife, Elena, says: "I have two small children, I'm on maternity leave and I can't go to work. We have been living on my father's pension for six months, and the vegetable garden at the dacha saves us, because my husband's salary stopped coming at the beginning of the year. During this time, we have spent everything he has transferred since October."​
"They took our husbands, made promises, and now they have essentially thrown us out on our own, so we are left to fend for ourselves. My friend from Buryatia, near Ulan-Ude, says she was promised firewood since September – she never received anything, she begged all winter and spring from neighbours. And if you try to assert your rights, they immediately start threatening you with being sent to a prison colony."​
At one point, she says, the men caught a visiting officer and effectively held him prisoner, which led to a firefight between the officers and their men. "[The men] said, "Well, since we have enough supplies, you'll stay with us for the night when the shelling happens." So he started shooting and the rest of the commanders went away shooting from their own [vehicles]. Is that normal? It's not an army, it's a prison."​
The relatives say that the wounded – even the lightly injured – are simply abandoned on the battlefield due to a complete absence of medical evacuations and a lack of armoured vehicles. The bodies of the dead are not being retrieved or returned to their relatives. /end​
Source:​

That one is only on the musky bird:

Reactions: BMD
A Lancet drone strikes a T-72 tank pushing a Ukrainian MaxxPro armored vehicle. Published footage of the impact of the Russian kamikaze drone "Lancet" in the Ukrainian T-72B3 tank, this is a captured tank towing an M1224 MaxxPro armored vehicle. The video is not particularly remarkable, except that the tank towing the car ended up running into it, this is the first time this has happened. The episode is shown at the end of the video.

Russian servicemen shared their impressions of the American-made Oshkosh M-ATV captured Ukrainian armored vehicle and foreign equipment of the Ukrainian army. The Oshkosh armored car was abandoned by the crew near the village of Novodonetskoye. The Oshkosh M-ATV armored vehicle was developed by the American company Oshkosh Truck and put into service in 2009. The car was used in several military conflicts and it turned out to be more tenacious than the previously used Humvee armored vehicle. The car is quite well protected, this is also noted in the video by the Russian soldier. The vehicle can be armed with M240 and M2 Browning machine guns, Mk 19 grenade launcher and two types of anti-tank systems. The Oshkosh M-ATV armored vehicle is available in five variants and can accommodate up to 11 people. Engine power 370 hp allows it to reach speeds of up to 105 km / h, the cost of the Oshkosh M-ATV armored vehicle is about $ 470,000.

SAM Pantsir shoots down Ukraine's Storm Shadow cruise missile. Footage of the work of the operators of the Russian Pantsir-S1 air defense system to intercept the British-made Ukrainian cruise missile Storm Shadow has been published, we previously talked about these missiles. It is worth noting that it is not always possible to shoot down these missiles, since not all directions are covered by air defense.

It's not often that snipers get hit by artillery, but it does happen from time to time. One of the Russian snipers spoke about his combat work and why they were hit by Ukrainian artillery.

Only 14 today.

1689412489392.png

Interesting survey. Given Victoad Orban's attitude, I expected Russia to be more popular in Hungary; but no, less than in Greece... Would have been interesting to see Serbia and Bulgaria as well, since traditionally they're very Russophile too.

India gets to be the only surveyed country where a positive view of Russia is the majority opinion. Quite tellingly, it's not the case in fellow BRICS Brazil and South Africa.

Footage of a battle between a Russian T-80 tank and two Turkish-made Kirpi armored vehicles of the Ukrainian army. As reported, the battle took place in the village of Makarovka on the Vremevsky ledge in the South-Donetsk direction. Judging by the video, the approaches to the village were not protected in any way, the tank simply drove into the village and destroyed the Kirpi armored personnel carriers.

Liberation LOL.

Interesting survey. Given Victoad Orban's attitude, I expected Russia to be more popular in Hungary; but no, less than in Greece... Would have been interesting to see Serbia and Bulgaria as well, since traditionally they're very Russophile too.

India gets to be the only surveyed country where a positive view of Russia is the majority opinion. Quite tellingly, it's not the case in fellow BRICS Brazil and South Africa.
What surprised me is that South Africa's approval rating for Russia is lower than Nigeria and Kenya's.

There is a slight trend: the further they live from Moscow, the more positive the opinion of Russia.

Last edited: