Airborne Early Warning Systems - A-50EI Phalcon, DRDO Netra AEW&C, DRDO AWACS

We could try it with a used Boeing or Airbus instead. The Israelis are well versed in modifying them except it'd take some more time to validate the entire system. Worth exploring in my opinion.
Serviciablity and availability of our own AEWCS has been superior. If given a choice IAF would take our own design.

I think thats why the talk about EMB145 additional orders.

No air to air refueling is a big miss. Landing to refuel when sky is hot and earth cratered, not a good move, IMO.
Can those A-321s be retrofitted with a IFR probe ? If yes no problem. If not , you can't do anything about it . Besides these A-321 have a carrying capacity of 25-30,000 litres. At subsonic speeds they can easily last for 8-10 hrs if not more in air..

No air to air refueling is a big miss. Landing to refuel when sky is hot and earth cratered, not a good move, IMO.

Can those A-321s be retrofitted with a IFR probe ? If yes no problem. If not , you can't do anything about it . Besides these A-321 have a carrying capacity of 25-30,000 litres. At subsonic speeds they can easily last for 8-10 hrs if not more in air..

Exactly - the A321 is not an EMB145, its endurance on internal fuel is far higher - which is the whole reason we had to change platforms for the Mk-2. For IAF, tankers are a precious commodity in short supply. We cannot afford to waste tanker sorties refueling platforms like AEW which could otherwise not need to refuel, had a better airframe been available.

It's also why AEWs of a similar class like Japan's E-767 don't have AAR.

I wonder how does this explain the 6 nos of Netra Mk-1 we're supposed to be procuring on an EMBRAER platform like last time .

Exactly - the A321 is not an EMB145, its endurance on internal fuel is far higher - which is the whole reason we had to change platforms for the Mk-2. For IAF, tankers are a precious commodity in short supply. We cannot afford to waste tanker sorties refueling platforms like AEW which could otherwise not need to refuel, had a better airframe been available.

It's also why AEWs of a similar class like Japan's E-767 don't have AAR.
True, A321-200 can add two optional fuel tanks. Although the range obtained by that addition is unknown to me. But it can be done easily.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
I wonder how does this explain the 6 nos of Netra Mk-1 we're supposed to be procuring on an EMBRAER platform like last time .

There is an article from Idr w, that Emb is offering latest platform which smaller in size with higher ceiling of 45 k and a bit higher endurance...

But for the commonality of platforms, investment sunk in, we may not change the platform.

I'm getting a vibe the upcoming MTA will have a variant that will house the AWACS(I) and another variant will also act as new Refuller. A330 MRTT will most probably not be procured.
If possible they will also mount the Phalcon Radar on the new MTA.