Brexit and Future of UK : Discussions

You can't tell the difference between Scottish and Irish and yet you criticise people for not knowing the difference between Pakistanis and Indians.

it has nothing to with his ability to discriminate about anything. He just makes up his mind according to some pet theory and sticks with it come hell or high water. Better not waste your time convincing him otherwise. Just accept that he is irish...lot less headache that way.

Last edited:
Frankly, never heard of him before. Inspite of his strong accent. Got a forward from an ex colleague. An Irishman.

His accent suggests he's Irish.

The Irish & Italians, I'm told, don't take kindly to Jews. Both the conservatives & Religious or the libertarians & leftists.

The Irish accent isn't this hard, he's a Scot. And yea, in the case of the Irish & Italians, it probably has something to do with them traditionally being Catholic.

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_
You can't tell the difference between Scottish and Irish and yet you criticise people for not knowing the difference between Pakistanis and Indians.
Checked wiki paddy. He's a hybrid accent. I suggest you do too before " shootin yer stinkin maut"

Why the ordinary Irish loves Brexit -

Bill O'Flaherty, a bricklayer, has just been fired. He goes to Avalon, his favourite pub in Belfast & orders, what else, but a pint of Guinness. Owing to the rush on the weekend, while retrieving the drink, his elbow barges into a person and he drops the glass. Being in a foul mood he picks up a fight & is thrown out of the pub. He picks himself up, dusts his clothes and makes his way home.

Meanwhile , Bill's oldest boy Jimmy has just broken up with his gf & returns home in a surly mood.His younger brother Mick is seeing MTV.Jimmyboy here wants to see UFC.Mick isn't having any.Before one realises , a fist fight breaks out.

Meanwhile , Bill returns home to his wife Irene who's laid mashed potatoes & bacon as dinner. Bill , fed up of potatoes flings the plate across the kitchen. Irene throws her pots and pans too. Bedlam ensues in the O'Flaherty household with fisticuffs thrown at each other & expletives exchanged before the neighbours get Brother John O'Hara to calm things. He preaches a sermon and the situation calms down. Bill breaks into tears and begs forgiveness of Irene. Jimmy too hugs Mick & all's forgiven.

Bill throws open the bar & everyone rushes to grab their booze. Jimmy gets Bill his drink before Irene unwittingly trips Jimmy into Bill, this spilling the glass.Bill swears out loud & punches Irene. Her Brother Paddy Houlihan punches Bill. Jimmy punches Paddy.Paddy's son Jack punches Mick.Bedlam ensues.

All in a day in a normal Irish household. Which is why they love Brexit.

P. S - got this from an ex colleague in Dubai. He's Irish. He's got it from back home. Can't think of a better reason why the Irish love Brexit. @BMD
You didn't answer @BMD

The Irish accent isn't this hard, he's a Scot. And yea, in the case of the Irish & Italians, it probably has something to do with them traditionally being Catholic.
He has anything but a scottish accent. I've lived & worked in London a couple of years & in the gulf for 4.With plenty of Irish, Welsh, English & Scotsmen. His accent isn't purely Scot.

He has anything but a scottish accent. I've lived & worked in London a couple of years & in the gulf for 4.With plenty of Irish, Welsh, English & Scotsmen. His accent isn't purely Scot.

Hmm, maybe it's some sort of mix then? Also, that's pretty cool, where in the Gulf did you work?

Hmm, maybe it's some sort of mix then? Also, that's pretty cool, where in the Gulf did you work?
I come from the UK, I have been at university and worked with Scottish people, it's a very Scottish accent.

I come from the UK, I have been at university and worked with Scottish people, it's a very Scottish accent.

I saw some folks online say it was Glaswegian, to be precise; would you call it that or something else? And how many other major accents are there in Scotland besides Glasgow?

• Agree
Reactions: BMD
I saw some folks online say it was Glaswegian, to be precise; would you call it that or something else? And how many other major accents are there in Scotland besides Glasgow?
It sounds Glaswegian yes, which is unsurprising since that's where he was born and grew up.

There's now clear proof the threat of no deal Brexit is hurting the UK economy
WILL MARTINFEB 11, 2019, 03.27 PM

Reuters

• UK economic growth slowed sharply at the end of 2018, official data show.
  • The British economy grew just 0.2% in the final quarter of 2018, as businesses continued to stifle investment against a background of Brexit-related uncertainty.
  • On an annual basis, the ONS said that the economy grew 1.4% in 2018, the lowest growth since 2012.
Economic growth in the UK slowed to just 0.2% in the final quarter of 2018, according to the Office for National Statistics, as businesses continued to stifle investment against a background of Brexit-related uncertainty, and the potential for a no deal exit from the European Union.

2018's final GDP figure is the second lowest reading for the UK economy since it contracted in the fourth quarter of 2012.

The final quarter of 2018's number was only beaten by the 0.1% growth witnessed in the first quarter of last year. Growth in the third quarter of 2018 was 0.6%.
On an annual basis, the ONS said that the economy grew 1.4% in 2018, the lowest growth since 2012.

"GDP slowed in the last three months of the year with the manufacturing of cars and steel products seeing steep falls and construction also declining," the ONS' head of GDP Rob Kent-Smith said in a statement.

"However, services continued to grow with the health sector, management consultants and IT all doing well."

While the quarterly picture is troublingly weak, monthly data for December are even worse, with growth actually shrinking 0.4% in the final month of the year. That may seem like a worrying data point, but Kent-Smith was keen to play down its significance.

"Declines were seen across the economy in December, but single month data can be volatile meaning quarterly figures often give a better indication of the health of the economy," he said.

The ONS' data on UK economic growth at the end of last year comes less than a week after the Bank of England forecast that the economy will grow at its slowest rate since the financial crisis this year.

The central bank lowered its economic growth forecast for the UK in 2019 to just 1.2% last week, which would mark the slowest annual growth since 2009.

"The fog of Brexit is causing short term volatility in economic data, and more fundamentally is creating a series of tensions in the economy," Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said at a press conference.

"Although many companies are stepping up their contingency planning, the economy as a whole is still not yet prepared for a no deal, no transition exit."

Our Brexit Insider Facebook group is the best place for up-to-date news and analysis about Britain's departure from the EU, direct from Business Insider's political reporters.

There's now clear proof the threat of no deal Brexit is hurting the UK economy

Reactions: Superkaif
The threat is, but the realisation of it will not. It is the uncertainty that is causing the problem. Once there is certainty and a no deal plan, the problem will stop.