Ghatak and Rustom Indigenous UAV Programs

The models of the Ghatak so far have shown a 2D nozzle. Are they going for an elliptical nozzle now ? At least I hope it is a chevron type, otherwise stealth in rear quarters would be compromised.

Nope the preparation for a a production run takes some time. GTRE has never mass produced any engine yet. The EoI was sent out to gauge interest among industry & see how much private invest can come into the project.

What modification ? The fan ? They deliberately kept the pressure ratio to 3.4:1 instead of 4:1 even though the new fan could give us that. The mass flow rate was also kept the same to maintain as much commonality with the afterburning Kaveri as possible. The afterburner section has been removed that does effect the engine cycle as much. The AB section typically sits behind the turbines & has little to do with the engine cycle. The core of the dry Kaveri is pretty much the same as the one that was flight tested.

But yes it must be flight tested. Either DRDO modifies a civilian plane or get it tested abroad.

All aviation projects are dependent on the availability of engines. What's new here ?
Yes 2D elliptical nozzle.

Screenshots from the video:
Screenshot (24).png

Screenshot (25).png

That is a 2D nozzle my guy. Stealth is the primary focus of this project. I hope this is not what you meant by elliptical else we are bickering over nothing. I was picturing elliptical as round, almost cylindrical.
The question is how did the EoI change anything?
It indicates GTRE's confidence on getting the Kaveri project from a TD to a in service military hardware. That is a huge change given the list of countries that have produced turbofans of 50+kN class is tiny.
How is this not true.
I don't think it will take a decade to start producing the Kaveri dry engine. With the current infra present at GTRE that alone can produce 1-2 engines a year.

What IR mitigation steps have been adopted here
Nothing available in public yet.
there was one section of Wing with many holes
Yes that's what I was referring to. Maybe the vets that I have marked in the photo is for ejecting cold air from the intake bleed. The way the drone is designed, any cold air on top of the fuselage will mix with the jet plume reducing IR signature.
apart from that IR Absorbing paint but what about engine bay cooling.
Its there. You need to cool the engine & the weapon bay if you are going to cramp up the internal space. Normally bleed air would take care of engine bay cooling. But with internal weapon bays taking up the space you don't have that luxury.

Nothing available in public yet.

Yes that's what I was referring to. Maybe the vets that I have marked in the photo is for ejecting cold air from the intake bleed. The way the drone is designed, any cold air on top of the fuselage will mix with the jet plume reducing IR signature.

Its there. You need to cool the engine & the weapon bay if you are going to cramp up the internal space. Normally bleed air would take care of engine bay cooling. But with internal weapon bays taking up the space you don't have that luxury.
Hope the IFR probe is included in the actual design for extended loitering capabilities ...

Noting like that in the designs. It is possible if they go for an American re-fueling system with boom feed. But that's unlikely. I don't think there is enough space for a retractable IFR probe.
Similar functionality needed

What is the operational requirement for us ?
It will be definitely useful for IN because it will offer longer loitering time over the sea ...It will have all the similar advantages of an IFR probe used in a fighter plane . Since we are in the design phase of UCAV why not include this feature in starting itself why wait for a change request.

Reactions: RISING SUN
It will be definitely useful for IN because it will offer longer loitering time over the sea ...It will have all the similar advantages of an IFR probe used in a fighter plane . Since we are in the design phase of UCAV why not include this feature in starting itself why wait for a change request.
Ghatak is not for navy.

Ghatak is not for navy.
They may give a new name for the naval project, If it's capable of deck-based operation IN will definitely consider this UCAV for their operations ...

WIKI - DRDO_Ghatak

In Q4 of 2020, a small version of delta wing UAV was developed by ADA and IISc and test flown in Hosur. The UAV utilised a microjet engine and attained a maximum velocity of 190 km/h (120 mph) during flight.[15] As of 2021, the Ghatak name has been dropped and the overall programme gained a flagship status with full support from Union Government. The project will also include a deck-based UCAV for Indian Navy.[14]

They may give a new name for the naval project, If it's capable of deck-based operation IN will definitely consider this UCAV for their operations ...

WIKI - DRDO_Ghatak

In Q4 of 2020, a small version of delta wing UAV was developed by ADA and IISc and test flown in Hosur. The UAV utilised a microjet engine and attained a maximum velocity of 190 km/h (120 mph) during flight.[15] As of 2021, the Ghatak name has been dropped and the overall programme gained a flagship status with full support from Union Government. The project will also include a deck-based UCAV for Indian Navy.[14]
Not true. Check the reference. Navy is not involved as of now.

There is no way a STOBAR carrier can handle this with good enough payload. Depends on IAC2 development which is post 2030.

Reactions: Parthu