GTRE Kaveri Engine

Prasun sengupata says that :- Fan boys will be dissapointed when they learn that Rolls royce proposal is for HTFE engine and variants of it will also be used in the civilian sector, if succeeds then help will also be sought on HTSE1200.
HTSE1200 is already working we don't need anyone help on it.

Prasun sengupata says that :- Fan boys will be dissapointed when they learn that Rolls royce proposal is for HTFE engine and variants of it will also be used in the civilian sector, if succeeds then help will also be sought on HTSE1200.
I disagree with his views. The HTFE seems to be progressing fine , on schedule & not in need of any intervention.

If he said that then he's a complete and total idiot.

Rolls Royce is signing up with DRDO, whereas HTFE is HAL's independent project and has nothing to do with DRDO.

Is this related to Jaguars engine replacement.. ?
Not at the moment. If this program is successful, they may go in for an updated iteration of about 42 KN wet thrust . If they do, The latter would be a replacement for the RR Adour engines on the Jaguars.

Reactions: Sathya
Not at the moment. If this program is successful, they may go in for an updated iteration of about 42 KN wet thrust . If they do, The latter would be a replacement for the RR Adour engines on the Jaguars.

I think PKS is alluding to this link.
RR - jv for 42 KN HTFE - installation & certification in Jaguars. To replace RR adour engines..

Is it possible in 5-7 yrs?

RR - jv for 42 KN HTFE - installation & certification in Jaguars. To replace RR adour engines..

To begin with, there's no such plan & if there's one it's not been comunicated. Besides 5-7 years is a long gestation period for a fighter aircraft which in today's world is already obsolete & will be more so in a decade from now. It doesn't actually make sense to upgrade it so late in it's life. That money can be better spent somewhere else where you get better value for money. But this is the IAF & India we're talking about here. You never know.

While the specs aren't out, I don't think the HTFE is capable of being used on fighter jets. It most likely will not have the ability to sustain high Gs.

The IAF is most likely to give up on any new engine plans.

While the specs aren't out, I don't think the HTFE is capable of being used on fighter jets. It most likely will not have the ability to sustain high Gs.

The IAF is most likely to give up on any new engine plans.

We ll have to wait then until we actually sign the deal.. We may get more details then.. Like amount involved.. Time for R&D, engine power ...

Last time we heard government asked to get ready with smaller engine s before invest ing bigger Kaveri follow ons.

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET
We ll have to wait then until we actually sign the deal.. We may get more details then.. Like amount involved.. Time for R&D, engine power ...

Last time we heard government asked to get ready with smaller engine s before invest ing bigger Kaveri follow ons.

It's AMCA's definitive engine or bust. It's not going to be useful for Jaguar.

The smaller the engine (for a fighter jet), the harder it is.

Anything to do with flying, smaller = harder.

It's AMCA's definitive engine or bust. It's not going to be useful for Jaguar.

The smaller the engine (for a fighter jet), the harder it is.

Anything to do with flying, smaller = harder.
Hence, going by your definition, GTRE was right in attempting Kaveri instead of the HTFE.

Yep. No doubt. We should have spent a lot more money. They don't even have a flying test bed for example, which could have been a Mig-29 or an MKI.
Sure. That's how P&W, RR, SAFRAN, etc evolved, isn't it? They learnt to high jump before they learnt to jump.

Sure. That's how P&W, RR, SAFRAN, etc evolved, isn't it? They learnt to high jump before they learnt to jump.

When they started, they built far more complex engines than Kaveri for the time. Basically whatever they built was cutting edge in those times.

No different from this car.
2_gettyimages-463916289-e.jpg

Kaveri was our attempt to crawl, walk and fly based on designs that were operational a decade before the program began. While the engine was being developed, better models came up, like K8, K9, K9+ etc. The goal was to develop better versions of the engines than those the Americans, Europeans and Russians had introduced back in the 70s and early 80s. The technology meant to go into the K10 is already 10 years behind the Europeans, and by the time it's developed and fielded, it will be 20 years behind.

If we wanted to high jump, then we would be developing the AMCA's engine ourselves, without foreign collaboration.

So your assertions are as usual pretty dumb.

I remember hvt sir confirming that there are no plans get new engines for jags as that would be too costly and if it isnt happening now then it definently isnt happening in the future

Folks we have been talking about Kaveri in different forums since forever. We don't have it flying one single aircraft as of now -- may be a testbed or something. Here are some basic questions to ponder.

1. Whose head will roll if Kaveri is NEVER completed?
a. CDS or his immediate reportees? I don't think so, but please feel free to correct me.
b. Rajnath Singh or Modi? I don't think so, but please feel free to correct me.
c. Anil Ambani or his VPs? Tata group CEO or his VPs? I don't think so, but please correct me if I am wrong.
d. IAS/IFS in south block? Maaaybe? May not be?

2. Whose head HAD rolled because Kaveri bombed in the past?
a. CDS/Generals/CoAS? No.
b. PM/RM of that time? No.
c. IAS/IFS in South Block? None that I know of.
d. Industrialists/business(wo)men in the past? None.

Now second part : Who will make the bank if Kaveri gets done?

a. CDS/Generals/CoAS? Doubt and perhaps to the contarary.
b. Rajnath Singh or Modi? Unlikely. One more Shivaji/Tipu Sultan/Patel/<Insert Your Favorite Hero> statute will perhaps work better for them.
c. IAS/IFS in South Block? At best one promotion but not exactly making a bank. Actually they will make a bank if they let the project scuttle and take bribes from Lock-Mart.
d. Ambaniz/Tataz et el? May be... more production means more money but they can make money more easily by doing screwdriver engineering for LockMartz of the world.

Likely, this will never get done.

Last edited:
When they started, they built far more complex engines than Kaveri for the time. Basically whatever they built was cutting edge in those times.

No different from this car.
2_gettyimages-463916289-e.jpg

Kaveri was our attempt to crawl, walk and fly based on designs that were operational a decade before the program began. While the engine was being developed, better models came up, like K8, K9, K9+ etc. The goal was to develop better versions of the engines than those the Americans, Europeans and Russians had introduced back in the 70s and early 80s. The technology meant to go into the K10 is already 10 years behind the Europeans, and by the time it's developed and fielded, it will be 20 years behind.

If we wanted to high jump, then we would be developing the AMCA's engine ourselves, without foreign collaboration.

So your assertions are as usual pretty dumb.
O Jnandev, pls do come up with suitable examples as well of why would you in your all knowing avatar consider AMCA to be a futuristic engine & not a contemporary one but Kaveri is a contemporary one.

P W Engines Are The Best Choice To Power India s Defence Aircraft Ashmita Sethi President and Country Head Pratt Whitney UTC India - BW Businessworld - http://businessworld.in/article/-P-W-Engines-Are-The-Best-Choice-To-Power-India-s-Defence-Aircraft-Ashmita-Sethi-President-and-Country-Head-Pratt-Whitney-UTC-India/05-08-2020-305080

Folks we have been talking about Kaveri in different forums since forever. We don't have it flying one single aircraft as of now -- may be a testbed or something. Here are some basic questions to ponder.

1. Whose head will roll if Kaveri is NEVER completed?
a. CDS or his immediate reportees? I don't think so, but please feel free to correct me.
b. Rajnath Singh or Modi? I don't think so, but please feel free to correct me.
c. Anil Ambani or his VPs? Tata group CEO or his VPs? I don't think so, but please correct me if I am wrong.
d. IAS/IFS in south block? Maaaybe? May not be?

2. Whose head HAD rolled because Kaveri bombed in the past?
a. CDS/Generals/CoAS? No.
b. PM/RM of that time? No.
c. IAS/IFS in South Block? None that I know of.
d. Industrialists/business(wo)men in the past? None.

Now second part : Who will make the bank if Kaveri gets done?

a. CDS/Generals/CoAS? Doubt and perhaps to the contarary.
b. Rajnath Singh or Modi? Unlikely. One more Shivaji/Tipu Sultan/Patel/<Insert Your Favorite Hero> statute will perhaps work better for them.
c. IAS/IFS in South Block? At best one promotion but not exactly making a bank. Actually they will make a bank if they let the project scuttle and take bribes from Lock-Mart.
d. Ambaniz/Tataz et el? May be... more production means more money but they can make money more easily by doing screwdriver engineering for LockMartz of the world.

Likely, this will never get done.
I’d like to quote @Nikhil here. He is very knowledgeable in this subject

Why should anyone head must role? if members in this forum or for that matter there beloved pvt sectors so intelligent
....why don't they develop a jet engine & deliver it on there own. I am sure adani, ambani, Tata, Mahindra all are technological juggernaut & not money laundering machine. They surely can deliver. They should also take consultancy from all knowing retired Indian military twitter warrior community & desh bhakt NRI community on the way.

Reactions: Hydra