Indian AESA Radar Developments

Hmm...since MKI's AESA Uttam variant would be based on this, it means that MKI MLU's radar also would be GaA based. Maybe GaN in later trenches.

I really was expecting GaN based AESA radar for MKI upgrade. That would have been cutting edge. But looks like we've still some catching up to do.

Hmm...since MKI's AESA Uttam variant would be based on this, it means that MKI MLU's radar also would be GaA based. Maybe GaN in later trenches.

I really was expecting GaN based AESA radar for MKI upgrade. That would have been cutting edge. But looks like we've still some catching up to do.
Prabhuji , let's first at least learn to crawl before we stand , stand before we walk & walk before we run . Let's at least get the Uttam Mk-1 fitted on to the LCA Mk-1a & see how it performs for a few yrs before moving on to an improved upgraded Mk-2 with more TRMs , better antenna possibly , maybe improved software & other paraphernalia & observe the latter's performance before we move on to GaN radars . The entire process could well take a decade while development activities go on in the background as they must . This is how other nations have evolved these & other systems.

Let's not get into insane optimism mode for God's sake . Besides there's only 1 slot for it open here & it was long taken . Pls don't even think of usurpation . Won't be appreciated at all .

Prabhuji , let's first at least learn to crawl before we stand , stand before we walk & walk before we run . Let's at least get the Uttam Mk-1 fitted on to the LCA Mk-1a & see how it performs for a few yrs before moving on to an improved upgraded Mk-2 with more TRMs , better antenna possibly , maybe improved software & other paraphernalia & observe the latter's performance before we move on to GaN radars . The entire process could well take a decade while development activities go on in the background as they must . This is how other nations have evolved these & other systems.

Let's not get into insane optimism mode for God's sake . Besides there's only 1 slot for it open here & it was long taken . Pls don't even think of usurpation . Won't be appreciated at all .

With regarding to radars we are making rapid strides.. This is what I am convinced from @Gautam posts sometime back.
And @amardeep sharma i think.. Posts long time back. .

----------------

We were supposed to have atleast half the aircraft s of Mk1A orders with ELTA 2052.
I think that's reduced now to 1 squad or so.. But not sure. I think this mostly due radar developed proceeding as expected and Mk1A orders got delayed.

Before Mk2 Or Super sukhoi got approval, mostly like our Uttam follow up radars will be developed.

Happy New Year, sir🙂

With the advent of Stealth fighters in our neighbourhood, our 262 MKIs are going to be our mainstay for years to come before AMCA becomes fully operational in substantial numbers. To fight with J-20, MKI needs QWIP IRST(under development) and GaN based AESA radar. It is not optimism but dire need.

Talking about GaN based radars, well our scientists have already developed GaN chips for L, S & C-Band, upto 400W power output. I believe they are not too far away from developing GaN chips for X-band, fire-control-radar. Hence, my expectation!

Screenshot_20230101-180452_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230101-180503_Chrome.jpg

Source: Technologies | Defence Research and Development Organisation - DRDO, Ministry of Defence, Government of India

Depends on the timeframe. TEDBF and AMCA will get GaN. MKI's upgrade is in phases, so it will eventually get GaN.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajput Lion
Depends on the timeframe. TEDBF and AMCA will get GaN. MKI's upgrade is in phases, so it will eventually get GaN.
If we can get GaN Uttam variant for MKI by 2026, it would be awesome. Of course, AMCA's and TEDBF's radar was always going to be GaN based as they are our future fighters(operational post 2030).

If we can get GaN Uttam variant for MKI by 2026, it would be awesome. Of course, AMCA's and TEDBF's radar was always going to be GaN based as they are our future fighters(operational post 2030).

The MKI MLU seems to be for 4 squadrons in the first phase, so it's not an issue if just some 84 jets or so get GaAs. It should be possible to replace the front-end with GaN later on.

Rumour mill says the Uttam Mk2 will be scaled up to fit the MKI and will take 4 years to finish. So it's far more important for us to get reliability via a mature GaAs over an immature GaN.

Astra Microwave presentation January 13, Q3

Last Q2 presentation if you wanted for comparison

Interesting part I noticed, they gave uttam radar tentative timeline as below, see the pdf for more

View attachment 26028
I'm really excited about this Program LRSAM Radar. This will probably be our take on MF-STAR. @marich01 sir ji this might be under development for LRSAM Phase-2.

Previously, I thought LR-MFR will be utilized for the maritime role but that radar is way too big so they might have scaled it down.

Rumour mill says the Uttam Mk2 will be scaled up to fit the MKI and will take 4 years to finish. So it's far more important for us to get reliability via a mature GaAs over an immature GaN.
You are right.
And it is likely that the software of the AsGa radar may be used in a GaN one. Soft refinement takes time...