Indian Army Artillery Systems : News and Updates

Can anyone explain the difference between 155mm /45 cal and 155mm /52 cal??? If 155mm is the diam of artillery shell whats 45/52? @Gautam
39/45/52 these are calibers. Multiplying the caliber value with the bore diameter gives you the length of the barrel. Length is directly proportional to range attained and inversely proportional to portability.

Reactions: Ashwin
39/45/52 these are calibers. Multiplying the caliber value with the bore diameter gives you the length of the barrel. Length is directly proportional to range attained and inversely proportional to portability.
I thought caliber means the bore dia as in .303.
But here caliber is used to denote barrel length right??
And any specific reason values like 155mm , 45/52 , 130mm are used and not say 150mm etc?

I thought caliber means the bore dia as in .303.
For small arms yes. Caliber is often used to refer to bore dia. Not very accurate way of describing it though. For example a 12.7x99 mm NATO bullet and a 12.7x108 mm Soviet bullet has the same dia but the Soviet round is longer. Thus using "12.7mm" to describe the round might cause some confusions. So instead of 12.7x99 mm NATO, people just call it .50 cal.
But here caliber is used to denote barrel length right??
For large guns. Artillety, howitzers, Naval main guns, tank gun etc.

Reactions: Deathstar
Given the successes of the DRDO/ARDE/OFB and various private companies especially the Bharat Forge and TATA I think it would be the right time to start building a naval main gun. We can't be importing it all. Anything between 127-155 mm would do. We ought to start a project immediately and not let the expertise gathered from the ATAGS and various other projects go to waste.

From BRF :

It seems the upgraded Sharang needs a pit to be dug, to allow the breech sufficient room to travel for the recoil when firing at a high angle. Jugaad has its limits.
1580267795211.png

ULH by Bharat Forge is ready.
1580267835796.png

Sad.... Such opportunities are ignored
From what I gather the project is in its very early days. Don't count them out already. The requirement for ER rounds and GPS guided rounds are huge and can only be effective if they are domestically developed and produced. Imports will be ridiculously expensive, one of the USP of artillery is that its cheap. Take that away and its not very effective. We will need to develop these rounds on our own sooner or later. Let Defexpo come, let's see what we can find.