Indian Military UAV Procurement Programs : General Discussions

There is nothing to argue with a person who insists on calling a failed project more advanced than a proven and larger class of UAV in every specification. It is not even a fair comparison.

I was pointing out the part that you ignored. Giving confident statements about the future is easy, but following up is not.

How dumb can you get? Are your posts mainly to win arguments?

It doesn't matter whether something failed or not, it's absolutely irrelevant to the point.

If the F-35 fails, are you gonna claim the F-16 is the better jet? How idiotic.

• Haha
Reactions: Rajput Lion

It doesn't matter whether something failed or not, it's absolutely irrelevant to the point.

F35 should be compared with f22, not f16. So Rustom can be compared with Reapor definitely. In future if some one says, nobody can tell herorn is better than Ghatak after later declared as failure.

Tapas was never designed to be comparable to MQ-9. Thats a fact. MQ-9's payload is 1.7 ton while thats the total empty weight of Tapas. Tapas flys with two 220hp engine while MQ-9 uses 900hp. But sure, we are dumb. Not going to argue over this again.

I always make a point to avoid your delusional fictions and overly optimistic theories. I never fought you just to win an argument.

But last year, you dismissed my concerns about Tapas as just my "uninformed opinion." I thought it would be helpful to have reality checks on those theories from time to time. That's all. Chill.

As for any issues with maturity or failure, that's just your uninformed opinion, DRDO is not operating with such an opinion. It's obvious that a lease will take care of potential delays. In any case, Rustom-2 is no longer being considered a failure. It's even getting a new Indian engine.

• Agree
Reactions: RISING SUN
Tapas was never designed to be comparable to MQ-9. Thats a fact. MQ-9's payload is 1.7 ton while thats the total empty weight of Tapas. Tapas flys with two 220hp engine while MQ-9 uses 900hp. But sure, we are dumb. Not going to argue over this again.

I always make a point to avoid your delusional fictions and overly optimistic theories. I never fought you just to win an argument.

Lol, both aircraft carry the same avionics payload and operate at the same altitude. Rafale too has 150KN engines versus SH's 200 and operate at the same altitude, while carrying pretty much the same avionics.

If you design a Reaper without weapons, you'd get the Rustom 2, you wouldn't need all that extra thrust to carry weapons, nor would you need more fuel. I don't know how such a simple concept escapes people.

But last year, you dismissed my concerns about Tapas as just my "uninformed opinion." I thought it would be helpful to have reality checks on those theories from time to time. That's all. Chill.

Rustom 2 didn't fail, it crashed and lost its main prototype. That simply ended its development, 'cause instead of remaking the prototype, it was superceded by Archer NG. The option was between wasting 2-3 years producing a new one or just carry forward with a new design that's almost ready to fly, with pretty much the same specs.

It was well known for years that it wouldn't meet all the PSQR goals, and this is quite common. LCA Mk1 and Mk1A are also failures if you look at it through that lens. So is the Arjun. Nirbhay was the same. ATAGS doesn't meet all PSQR goals either.

DpQ9YJl.png

"Rustom 2 didn't fail, it crashed" :ROFLMAO:

I suspect that the lack of awareness of perpetual delays is built into the culture. Time is cyclical and infinite. We will take care of the UAV in the next life !.

Have we seen such design before somewhere?
Match stick with wings like appearance in CATS program?
CATS ALFA-S:
1706807007982.png

The drone seen in the above tweet has no relation with the CATS program. This is a pretty common form factor for loitering/swarm drone.
Are the CATS components getting tested individually?
Yes. CATS-ALFA-s & CATS-Infinity HAPS are being flight tested. HAL is modifying the PTAE-7 engine for the Hunter & Warrior drones.

• Informative
Reactions: Sathya

India sends newly assembled MALE UAVs to Israel

The first private UAV manufacturing facility in India has delivered more than 20 Hermes 900 medium-altitude, long-endurance (MALE) UAVs to Israel, Shephard has learnt.

Hyderabad-based Adani-Elbit Advanced Systems India Ltd, a joint venture company between India’s Adani Defence and Aerospace and Israel’s Elbit Systems, became the first entity to manufacture the UAVs outside of Israel.

The UAVs were delivered complete with carbon composite aerostructures manufactured at the 50,000 sq. ft Adani facility in Hyderabad.

Manufacturing of the UAVs took place under a transfer of technology agreement “and strict supervision by Elbit Systems” which has a 49% share in the joint venture. Shephard also learnt that the Hermes 900 kits were sent to India by Elbit, along with tools including sensors and engines for assembly. The partnership has provided Israel with additional military support as it continued its conflict with Hamas in Gaza.

Maritime and land versions of the Hermes 900 have also been supplied to the Indian Navy and Indian Army. The UAVs recently delivered to the Indian Navy have been renamed Drishti 10 Starliner but have the same configuration as the Hermes 900. Plans have been put in place to indigenise the UAVs with training underway for the Indian Navy by Adani officials.

The Indian Navy Drishti 10 drones will be placed in Porbandar along the coast of the Arabian Sea in the western state of Gujarat and in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Over the past two months days, at least 35 ships have faced drone attacks in the Red Sea and the Arabian Sea.

In early January 2024, Indian Navy chief Adml R Hari Kumar commented: “Autonomous systems are increasingly becoming a preferred choice in the Order of Battle for nations globally.”

The Indian Army will receive its first of two initial land versions of Drishti 10 in late February or early March, a Ministry of Defence official said. The UAVs will likely be in placed near the Pakistan border in Punjab. The army, which has Heron Mark-II drones in its inventory, has planned to upgrade its fleet of Heron Mark-I drones.

As the delayed indigenous MALE UAVs Rustom-2 of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) continued with flight trials, the Indian Army has requisitioned 60 more UAVs, the Indian Air Force 12 and the Indian Navy four. It has not been made clear whether these orders could head towards the Adani-Elbit joint venture.

India sends newly assembled MALE UAVs to Israel

The first private UAV manufacturing facility in India has delivered more than 20 Hermes 900 medium-altitude, long-endurance (MALE) UAVs to Israel, Shephard has learnt.

Hyderabad-based Adani-Elbit Advanced Systems India Ltd, a joint venture company between India’s Adani Defence and Aerospace and Israel’s Elbit Systems, became the first entity to manufacture the UAVs outside of Israel.

The UAVs were delivered complete with carbon composite aerostructures manufactured at the 50,000 sq. ft Adani facility in Hyderabad.

Manufacturing of the UAVs took place under a transfer of technology agreement “and strict supervision by Elbit Systems” which has a 49% share in the joint venture. Shephard also learnt that the Hermes 900 kits were sent to India by Elbit, along with tools including sensors and engines for assembly. The partnership has provided Israel with additional military support as it continued its conflict with Hamas in Gaza.

Maritime and land versions of the Hermes 900 have also been supplied to the Indian Navy and Indian Army. The UAVs recently delivered to the Indian Navy have been renamed Drishti 10 Starliner but have the same configuration as the Hermes 900. Plans have been put in place to indigenise the UAVs with training underway for the Indian Navy by Adani officials.

The Indian Navy Drishti 10 drones will be placed in Porbandar along the coast of the Arabian Sea in the western state of Gujarat and in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Over the past two months days, at least 35 ships have faced drone attacks in the Red Sea and the Arabian Sea.

In early January 2024, Indian Navy chief Adml R Hari Kumar commented: “Autonomous systems are increasingly becoming a preferred choice in the Order of Battle for nations globally.”

The Indian Army will receive its first of two initial land versions of Drishti 10 in late February or early March, a Ministry of Defence official said. The UAVs will likely be in placed near the Pakistan border in Punjab. The army, which has Heron Mark-II drones in its inventory, has planned to upgrade its fleet of Heron Mark-I drones.

As the delayed indigenous MALE UAVs Rustom-2 of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) continued with flight trials, the Indian Army has requisitioned 60 more UAVs, the Indian Air Force 12 and the Indian Navy four. It has not been made clear whether these orders could head towards the Adani-Elbit joint venture.
So it's plain screwdrivegiri. Few days ago corrupt generals were claiming it as indigenous lol .

These corrupt generals and babus have turned aatmanirbharta into a joke.

India's IG Drones has secured an order from MoD to provide drones for surveillance purposes. The selected drones have 5G capability & can function effectively in extreme temperatures and high altitudes. The drone is capable of vertical take-off and landing and can be effectively used in defence and medical applications. They can be deployed from any terrain without requiring a traditional runway. These drones carry a 10 kg payload, with an endurance of around five hours.

Army inducts initial lot of seven indigenous laser-based integrated drone detection & interdiction systems (IDD&IS) for deployment along the northern borders with China, even as DRDO works on more powerful directed energy weapons.
The vehicle-based IDD&IS provides for both #SoftKills of hostile drones through jamming and #HardKills through lasers. With India far behind others in this arena, DRDO now working on #DirectedEnergyWeapons with power levels of nearly 30-50 kilowatt. Truncated Print Version

1711004930117.png

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Lol, both aircraft carry the same avionics payload and operate at the same altitude. Rafale too has 150KN engines versus SH's 200 and operate at the same altitude, while carrying pretty much the same avionics.

If you design a Reaper without weapons, you'd get the Rustom 2, you wouldn't need all that extra thrust to carry weapons, nor would you need more fuel. I don't know how such a simple concept escapes people.

Rustom 2 didn't fail, it crashed and lost its main prototype. That simply ended its development, 'cause instead of remaking the prototype, it was superceded by Archer NG. The option was between wasting 2-3 years producing a new one or just carry forward with a new design that's almost ready to fly, with pretty much the same specs.

It was well known for years that it wouldn't meet all the PSQR goals, and this is quite common. LCA Mk1 and Mk1A are also failures if you look at it through that lens. So is the Arjun. Nirbhay was the same. ATAGS doesn't meet all PSQR goals either.
Get lost…