Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

WHAT ?? This is serious news. Anybody got anything more on this ?

Screenshot (486).png

India, Singapore ink LoI on use of Integrated Test Range at Chandipur

It is perhaps for the first time that India will open Chandipur Integrated Test Range for any foreign country.
India and Singapore on November 20 exchanged a Letter of Intent that could pave the way for the city-state to conduct live firing of missiles like the Spyder air defence system at the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha.

This was agreed during the 4th India-Singapore Defence Ministers’ Dialogue (DMD) which was co-chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and his Singapore counterpart Dr. Ng Eng Hen in Singapore on November 20.

It is perhaps for the first time that India will open Chandipur Integrated Test Range for any foreign country.

Singapore Defence Minister Dr. Ng said that it would be impossible to fire missiles like the Spyder ground-based air defence systems in Singapore as it is a small country.

“So we’re very thankful to India for providing that facility. India is a large country with a large land mass, and we understand also that this is a significant gesture on their part. We want to use the facility very productively,” Dr. Ng was quoted as saying by the Straits Times newspaper.

The Integrated Test Range (ITR), a well equipped Test and Evaluation (T&E) center of DRDO, is set up to provide safe and reliable launch facilities for performance evaluation of rockets, missiles and air-borne weapon system, according to the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) website.

Mr. Singh held wide-ranging talks with Dr. Ng following which the two Ministers witnessed the exchange of the Letter of Intent on Singapore’s use of Chandipur Integrated Test Range in Odisha as well as on deepening Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) cooperation.

The two sides also identified new areas of cooperation in the already strong and diversified defence partnership, including in exercises and test firing by Singapore in India, information exchange, launch of micro satellites in India, geo-spatial data sharing, Artificial Intelligence and cybersecurity.

Mr. Singh also invited Singapore to invest in research, development and testing facilities in the upcoming defence industrial corridors in India. Dr. Ng agreed to explore opportunities for joint collaboration.

Dr. Ng welcomed India’s continued engagement to the region and its active role in the regional security architecture.
WHAT ?? This is serious news. Anybody got anything more on this ?

View attachment 11470
Nothing surprising, they already use our facilities to train ground, artillery and F-16s.

• Informative
Reactions: Nikhil and Gautam
What are we getting in return btw?????
Increased mil tech co-operation and the possibility of exploring some defence exports. If they have access more facilities in India it increases the possibility of us getting a facility in Singapore, that would be quite beneficial.

What I am worried about though is them getting a peek at our top of the line weaponry. Getting a peak at QR-SAM, SR-SAM, MR-SAM etc is fine, if anything it should be welcomed. But getting a peak at ICBMs, SLBMs, ASAT missiles, BMD systems etc seems like stretching it too far.

We have good relations with Singapore and we would like to have better relations with them along with the rest of ASEAN. But has this relationship progressed so far for us to allow them access to what is one of the most important military facilities in India ? I don't know. Delhi seems to think so.

Increased mil tech co-operation and the possibility of exploring some defence exports. If they have access more facilities in India it increases the possibility of us getting a facility in Singapore, that would be quite beneficial.

What I am worried about though is them getting a peek at our top of the line weaponry. Getting a peak at QR-SAM, SR-SAM, MR-SAM etc is fine, if anything it should be welcomed. But getting a peak at ICBMs, SLBMs, ASAT missiles, BMD systems etc seems like stretching it too far.

We have good relations with Singapore and we would like to have better relations with them along with the rest of ASEAN. But has this relationship progressed so far for us to allow them access to what is one of the most important military facilities in India ? I don't know. Delhi seems to think so.
Would they gain access to strategic systems by being a user at a test and launch facility? Don't they (DRDO) conduct each missile test as a launch campaign? And the personnel, equipment etc come to Chandipur to test, take the results and get back to their labs? That was my guess anyway. Hope somebody can shed more light on this aspect

Would they gain access to strategic systems by being a user at a test and launch facility? Don't they (DRDO) conduct each missile test as a launch campaign? And the personnel, equipment etc come to Chandipur to test, take the results and get back to their labs? That was my guess anyway. Hope somebody can shed more light on this aspect
That's right there are standard procedures in place for handling strategic systems. I was worried about the proximity. Previously if somebody wanted to spy on our missiles they would need to be around but still keep a distance, now we may have more potential risks from the launch facility itself.

This is not to say SOPs can not be changed to ensure better security oversight. Its just unprecedented to have foreign personel visit such critical facilities.

I hope they upgrade the facility in exchange for access.

I think this has happened in Kalaikunda air base , is this correct?

Priorities changed. SLBMs are far better.

SLBM -> Land based version

Easier to do and comes with all the bells and whistles required in a land based ICBM ie compact sized , cannisterised , low weight etc

K 6 when it fructifies will result in land based Surya class ICBM.

Attachments