Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Defence sources on Sunday told The Express that K-4 has been scheduled for November 8, followed by two versions of BrahMos - surface-to-air and air-to-air - on November 11, Agni-II on November 16 and Prithvi on November 20.

Brahmos A2A? Brahmos S2A?

Credit NeXoft007 on D. F. I. :

"Explicit infos on Shakti ASAT Missile, reveals details of 1st and 2nd stage of K4 SLBM as well"
1573180569090.png

1573180541445.png

1573180475474.png

Hadn't Indranil of BRF written something on similar lines in Delhi Defence Review, then?
Yes he did. The fact that we are getting so much details about the ASAT and K4 seems to suggest that the next in the line SLBM might be ready. You can be damn well certain that the MoD won't let the details of their latest and greatest nuke missile out to the public unless those numbers were wrong or maybe that wasn't the latest missile out there.

Also notice how the schematic diagram shows missiles firing out of cannisters ? Check the dimensions and weight figures of the ASAT missile shown here and K4 missile on wiki. The numbers are almost the same. The K4 must be cannisterized to be put on subs. The same can hold, carry and fire the ASAT. ASAT will be land mobilised to avoid/evade enemy SEAD/DEAD missions.

Also if the ASAT missile is packing the K4 missile engine for the first and second stages and the K4 has a stated range of 3,500 km, am I supposed to believe the ASAT has a range of 1000 kms only. I know there will be a drop in range due to the trajectory, but the drop will not be so drastic that the missile can only travel less than one third of its original range. All this assuming the range of K4 is actually 3,500 kms, Delhi does seem to have a policy of understating the range of ballistic missiles.

Just my two cents.

Yes he did. The fact that we are getting so much details about the ASAT and K4 seems to suggest that the next in the line SLBM might be ready. You can be damn well certain that the MoD won't let the details of their latest and greatest nuke missile out to the public unless those numbers were wrong or maybe that wasn't the latest missile out there.

Also notice how the schematic diagram shows missiles firing out of cannisters ? Check the dimensions and weight figures of the ASAT missile shown here and K4 missile on wiki. The numbers are almost the same. The K4 must be cannisterized to be put on subs. The same can hold, carry and fire the ASAT. ASAT will be land mobilised to avoid/evade enemy SEAD/DEAD missions.

Also if the ASAT missile is packing the K4 missile engine for the first and second stages and the K4 has a stated range of 3,500 km, am I supposed to believe the ASAT has a range of 1000 kms only. I know there will be a drop in range due to the trajectory, but the drop will not be so drastic that the missile can only travel less than one third of its original range. All this assuming the range of K4 is actually 3,500 kms, Delhi does seem to have a policy of understating the range of ballistic missiles.

Just my two cents.
The picture says the ASAT can target satellites in orbits of up to 1000 km. So, we are talking about altitude here... not range...

ASAT uses the 1st stage of K4

I once posted the pic of the nose cone section of K4 though for obvious reasons i did not label or mention which missile the nose section belonged to in the post in the other forum.

Further more K4 uses control surfaces on its body , it is not clear whether those are retractable or not , i believe they r retracting / foldable since the missile is cannister based with very little clearance, also where the control surfaces are positioned is not clear , i have reasons to believe they are not for the rear section of the missile since it already has flex nozzles , rather i believe they are for the RV.

Also i have posted pics of the interstage of K4 which houses the conformal RCS ( reaction control system based on liquid fuels ) with multiple roll control and divert control thrusters ( 4 + 4 ) .

So given the limited available information above one can still come to the conclusion that K4 is a very interesting SLBM having capabilities beyond that of a normal SLBM.
Where is the second stage of the ASAT from ? PDV or new development ?

Is there a possibility that the K4's RV have powered descent instead of just a fall under gravity ? Powered descent coupled with control surfaces would make things very interesting.

The picture says the ASAT can target satellites in orbits of up to 1000 km. So, we are talking about altitude here... not range...
I know. Simple projectile motion dictates that for a projectile following a parabolic flight path, the point at the highest altitude will be the halfway mark of the total range(horizontal distance, not flight path distance. Flight path is greater.). The other half will be the descent phase, of course the ASAT has no descent phase. So the range of the ASAT is half the range of the same missile if it had traveled all the way back to earth.

Now the maximum range of K4 is stated to be 3,500 km. So the ASAT must have a max range of half of that, around 1,700+ km.(again this is a measurement of horizontal distance not flight path distance, ASAT would use the flight path distance as range since its a direct ascent weapon) Of course this is assuming the ASAT missile uses the same stages as the K4. Even if the upper stage is from the PDV, the range of the missile should be greater than the stated 1000 km.

UAEAF wants India’s Astra BVRAAM for its Mirage 2000-9 fleet
Published November 11, 2019

lDnZsr3.jpg

United Arab Emirates (UAE) has approached the Indian Government for procurement of India’s Next-generation ASTRA Beyond Visual range Air-to-Air missile to be equipped especially on the Dassault Mirage 2000-9 fleet of over 66 jets of the United Arab Emirates Air Force (UAEAF) said reliable industrial source close to ****. UAEAF’s Combat Aircraft fleet is primarily made up of 80 F-16E/F Block 60 Desert Falcon and 66 Dassault Mirage 2000-9 fleet which are at par with the Indian air force operated Mirage-2000 Dash 5 upgraded jets and currently armed with MBDA developed MICA IR/RF Medium ranged BVR Air-to-Air missile but due to technology obsolescence, MICA is not considered among Top of the BVRAAMs among its competitors and now UAEAF and IAF which are the two largest operators of the Mirage-2000 fighter fleet outside of France are seeking for its replacement. IAF too has plans to integrate Astra BVRAAM which has demonstrated superior performance to the MICA BVRAAM on its 60 upgraded Mirage-2000 Dash 5 jets. MBDA is already working on the development of MICA NG to replace older MICA IR/RF variants but it will be only available at least for the next 7-8 years and with the expected hefty price tag associated with all French weapons, IAF and UAEAF are expected to work together. MBDA already has turned down India’s request to arm its Mirage-2000 fleet with its latest Meteor BVRAAM with range well in excess of 150 kilometers due to high integration costs and with MICA NG still in development, Astra BVRAAM has emerged has low cost option and a favorite to replace aging MICA IR/RF variants in Mirage-2000 fleet of both airforce. Astra BVRAAM integration on the 270 Sukhoi-Su30MKI fleets already has begun and soon it will also be integrated into Mirage-2000-5 and LCA-Tejas Mk1A and Mig-29UPG fleet. UAE also has inquired on India’s LCA-Tejas Mk1A and MWF-Tejas Mk2 fighter jets which are in development.

Source: UAE AF wants Astra BVRAAM for its Mirage2000 fleet

lDnZsr3.jpg

United Arab Emirates (UAE) has approached the Indian Government for procurement of India’s Next-generation ASTRA Beyond Visual range Air-to-Air missile to be equipped especially on the Dassault Mirage 2000-9 fleet of over 66 jets of the United Arab Emirates Air Force (UAEAF) said reliable industrial source close to ****. UAEAF’s Combat Aircraft fleet is primarily made up of 80 F-16E/F Block 60 Desert Falcon and 66 Dassault Mirage 2000-9 fleet which are at par with the Indian air force operated Mirage-2000 Dash 5 upgraded jets and currently armed with MBDA developed MICA IR/RF Medium ranged BVR Air-to-Air missile but due to technology obsolescence, MICA is not considered among Top of the BVRAAMs among its competitors and now UAEAF and IAF which are the two largest operators of the Mirage-2000 fighter fleet outside of France are seeking for its replacement. IAF too has plans to integrate Astra BVRAAM which has demonstrated superior performance to the MICA BVRAAM on its 60 upgraded Mirage-2000 Dash 5 jets. MBDA is already working on the development of MICA NG to replace older MICA IR/RF variants but it will be only available at least for the next 7-8 years and with the expected hefty price tag associated with all French weapons, IAF and UAEAF are expected to work together. MBDA already has turned down India’s request to arm its Mirage-2000 fleet with its latest Meteor BVRAAM with range well in excess of 150 kilometers due to high integration costs and with MICA NG still in development, Astra BVRAAM has emerged has low cost option and a favorite to replace aging MICA IR/RF variants in Mirage-2000 fleet of both airforce. Astra BVRAAM integration on the 270 Sukhoi-Su30MKI fleets already has begun and soon it will also be integrated into Mirage-2000-5 and LCA-Tejas Mk1A and Mig-29UPG fleet. UAE also has inquired on India’s LCA-Tejas Mk1A and MWF-Tejas Mk2 fighter jets which are in development.

I bet we will squander this chance of exports.

I bet we will squander this chance of exports.
Who knows we might get it right. Remember OFB selling 155mm Artillery rounds to the UAE and also securing a second order a year after that ? And this was the OFB, which is arguably the most incompetent defence manufacturing org. in the country.

Squandering of opportunities don't happen just on our side it can happen on the other side too. If we can do whatever magic the OFB did, who knows we might just get it.

Just in case if not posted.

lDnZsr3.jpg

This is interesting. @randomradio

lDnZsr3.jpg

Astra did not get the final clearance nor IAF ordered these in numbers. In general, weapons systems aren't ordered by foreign countries unless they're in significant capacity with the home country or battle tested. What is the credibility of this news since it first popper up back in 2017

UAE buying India’s Astra BVR Missile?

ASB GLIDE BOMB - inertially guided bomb

Mass 910 kg
Length 4 m
Diameter .62 m
Control actuation system with brake
Deployable wing system
Maximum range without propulsion ( gliding with wings ) 100 km

Ahj.PNG

Last edited:
Confident of doubling range of the Astra, will be the most lethal air to air missile: DRDO Chief

By Manu Pubby, ET Bureau | Nov 19, 2019, 10.47 AM IST

Two new missile projects by DRDO have stood out – the ASTRA air to air missile and the ballistic missile defence system designed to protect India against a nuclear attack. Where do we stand on these ?

ASTRA initially had some technological challenges which have been overcome successfully. With our persistent effort and with active IAF support, all the user evaluation has been completed and ASTRA is now ready for induction. We are very confident of extending the range to nearly double of its existing range, making it the most lethal BVR missile.

India is one of the few countries which has its own active and successful BMD programme. We have demonstrated our capability through both simulation studies as well as live target engagements in both endo and exo regions. All essential technologies required for BMD, like propulsion system, sensors, precision control systems and terminal intercept technology with kill vehicle development have matured and have been proven through various tests.

Read the whole interview here :
DRDO: Confident of doubling range of the Astra, will be the most lethal air to air missile: DRDO Chief - The Economic Times

Just in case if not posted.

This is interesting. @randomradio

Tapping the ME market is very, very, very high on the list of priorities for the GoI.

But I wouldn't expect any movement on this for a few more years, especially since initial production will be aimed towards the IAF and IN. And it's likely that the UAE will buy the next version of Astra with much greater range instead. The Astra Mk1A, if you will, at 160Km will likely have around the same range as the dual-pulse MICA-NG, so it will still have competition.
This missile is very sleek and also shorter in length than its counterparts. Just by increasing the diameter by by about two centimeters and increasing its length to about 3.8m with change in wing design to reduce aerodynamic drag will make this missile double its range using dual pulse motor.

There is a plan to increase Astra Mk1's range to 160Km and also make an Astra Mk2 with a range well over 200Km. Not counting the SFDR, which should easily exceed 300Km.

Tapping the ME market is very, very, very high on the list of priorities for the GoI.
If not for pakistan I would say boy we got some serious clients from whom we can recoup our R&D costs. But will US let any one of those sheiks even think about about non-US equipment?

If not for pakistan I would say boy we got some serious clients from whom we can recoup our R&D costs. But will US let any one of those sheiks even think about about non-US equipment?

The US can't do anything here. They will obviously compete and provide more favourable terms, better tech as well. But in the long term, say 15 years later, the Middle East has more advantages in having better relations with India than with the US. The ME will have to find the balance between the US and India, so there's business for both countries and the ME is flush with money, so they can afford it.

• Agree
Reactions: Sulla84