Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Remember this ?

The navy had the vintage Russian rocket RGB-60 with a maximum range of 5.3km to fire from the RBU-6000 ASW rocket launcher. They wanted more range so the ARDE-HEMRL jointly built the ER-ASR(shown below) with a range of 8.5 km. The ER-ASR used the same airframe as that of the RGB-60 as it was also meant to be fired from the RBU-6000. The only changes were engine, fuel and thus thrust output.
View attachment 8660

It seems the increase in range often brings its own problems. The rocket when test fired was consistently missing the target. Remember its a non-guided rocket. So if it is flying off target, the reason isn't guidance failure, but design of the rocket. But the airframe of the rocket is the same as that of the RGB-60 which has worked well all these years. How would there be any problems with the airframe ?The inaccuracy as it turns out was due to increase in range. Well as ARDE put it :
View attachment 8661

Fascinating isn't it ? In the end all they had to do is slightly change the tail fins, the change was so small that it isn't even visible. That solved the problem.
View attachment 8662

Aerodynamics is a lovely subject, assuming you know what to do. Its not that lovely otherwise though.

More pics of the ARDE made ER version of the Anti-Submarine rocket. The rocket is now making it into Navy's service.
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (9).png

This is the plot of the drift seen in the flight path of the rocket with time due to the newer propulsion. With a lot of testing the drift problems were solved.
Screenshot (10).png

More pics of the ARDE made ER version of the Anti-Submarine rocket. The rocket is now making it into Navy's service.
View attachment 16793View attachment 16794View attachment 16795

This is the plot of the drift seen in the flight path of the rocket with time due to the newer propulsion. With a lot of testing the drift problems were solved.
View attachment 16796

How effective will be ASW rockets at such short range?
Won't sub's hunt ships before that.

Do modern ships carry ASW rockets?
ASW Corvette - typically at what range they engage Subs?

Why are they still unguided? Can we guide it like guided Pinakas ¡

How effective will be ASW rockets at such short range?
Won't sub's hunt ships before that.
Very effective. These weapons are more multipurpose than generally believed. They can be used against subs, small sized boats, divers, enemy torpedoes or mines etc. 10 km is the low end range of ASW operations, so these weapons are sort of like the last resort weapon against subs. But against other targets(like enemy divers) it is often the preferred weapon of choice.
Do modern ships carry ASW rockets?
They do in some cases. At least they should in my opinion.
ASW Corvette - typically at what range they engage Subs?
Depends on the sensors and weapons, but the typical range is between 10-60 kms. This is incase of 1 sub vs 1 ASW ship scenario. With increased number on either side the range changes.
Why are they still unguided? Can we guide it like guided Pinakas ¡
That will take away its selling point. The navy likes it because it is un-jammable. It is simple and cheap and we can produce them in massive quantities. Putting any seekers on them takes that away.

My only complaint is the not-so-stealthy mount and the massive amount of space these things take up on a ship.

Lots of rant with low on substance.

Prahaar was developed in direct reaction to Pakistani Nasr missile by overenthusiastic DRDO. No one asked for it. They took the AAD missile of BMD and repurposed it in record time. It was not something IA needed according to their requirement and doctrine. Pralay would be the perfect replacement for the Prithvi series and against Chinese missile artillery.

@Falcon sums it up

Lots of rant with low on substance.

Prahaar was developed in direct reaction to Pakistani Nasr missile by overenthusiastic DRDO. No one asked for it. They took the AAD missile of BMD and repurposed it in record time. It was not something IA needed according to their requirement and doctrine. Pralay would be the perfect replacement for the Prithvi series and Chinese missile artilary.

@Falcon sums it up

He never replied :D

What people don't understand that even if these weapons are not used , it will make the global arms manufacturers uneasy and they will be more than willing to sell india a similar weapon system of their own. I.e a bargaining chip.
I don't expect many to understand this comment, but there.

We won't buy those. So it doesn't matter if they make an offer.

Our ballistic missile program is indigenous by design.

Trials of Helicopter-launched Nag Missile (HELINA), now named Dhruvastra anti-tank guided missile in direct and top attack mode. The flight trials were conducted on 15&16 July at ITR Balasore (Odisha). This is done without helicopter.

Reactions: TARGET and Volcano
Trials of Helicopter-launched Nag Missile (HELINA), now named Dhruvastra anti-tank guided missile in direct and top attack mode. The flight trials were conducted on 15&16 July at ITR Balasore (Odisha). This is done without helicopter.
View attachment 16891
View attachment 16892
😒
When will they complete the development, when will the forces complete user trials and when will the orders be placed. Nothing on these questions.

😒
When will they complete the development, when will the forces complete user trials and when will the orders be placed. Nothing on these questions.
The latter video conveyed the impression that the ATGM followed a pathway akin to a sea skimming anti ship missile.

I don't know wether this is a right thread to ask or not, i dont even know wether this has been discussed here or not.
My query is do india have a megaton yield Hydrogen Bomb? Since chinese are armed with megaton yield Hydrogen bomb, we too must have such thing to ensure a MAD. I know that witn our kiloton nuclear bomblets can be act as a deterrent, but it cannot ensures a MAD scenario.

@AbRaj @vstol Jockey @Saaho
@Ankit Kumar

I don't know wether this is a right thread to ask or not, i dont even know wether this has been discussed here or not.
My query is do india have a megaton yield Hydrogen Bomb? Since chinese are armed with megaton yield Hydrogen bomb, we too must have such thing to ensure a MAD. I know that witn our kiloton nuclear bomblets can be act as a deterrent, but it cannot ensures a MAD scenario.

@AbRaj @vstol Jockey @Saaho
@Ankit Kumar
Before this is discussed lets first talk few basic points. I guess you might already know this but lets talk about it anyways.
1. Damage drops inverse inverse cubic relation of distance from the ground zero. Meaning, from a place that is 10 KM away from ground zero will have one thousandth of damage than a place which is one kilometer away from ground zero.

2. So, it is better to have multiple smaller bombs than one single megaton bomb dropped on a city for instance.

Based on this, no, India will not even attempt to go for a megatonne yield bomb. Its not needed. India will like to have 100-250 KT yield bomb. Now is this hydrogen bomb? Well... no one knows. There are doubts about our design of hydrogen bomb. But we may just be able to deliver weapons without even having a hydrogen bomb design working.

India indeed tested a plutonium based boosted fission bomb. This can scale easily to 100 Kilotonne or may be 200 kilotonne. At 100-120 Kilotonne, it can weight (in best cases) upto 500-700 KG. A comparable design will be french MR-41 warhead from 60s-80s. It had a yield of 500KT and weigh 700 KG. I am sure, Indian scientists should have figured how to put together a 100-120 KT yield warhead with a weight of 500-700 KG.

So you have a 600 KG (mid-figure) warhead with yield of 100 KT. This if MIRV'ed can fit 2-3 warhead in missile nose Agni-3 modified to have a MIRV design. So with 2-4 missile per city, you can blow up entire cities like Shanzen or Lahore. With 10-15 missiles you can blow up 4-6 cities of China or Pakistan.

The cost is launching 2-4 missiles where one missile would have been enough and using more nuclear fuel.

Reactions: Hydra