1570338727975.png

Double Green - Double Line Electrified
Thick Green- Electric Line Doubling
Brown - Single line diesel
Brown thick - Diesel Line Doubling
Red - New lines
Pink - Gauge conversion

Source : Indian Railways Map - Railway Enquiry

You can see the different routes being built to join NER with other countries. Foe example : The Agartala-Bangledesh and the Belonia-Myanmar lines

Reactions: Ashwin
Lucknow-Delhi Tejas Express, India’s ‘first private train’ flagged off

IANS
Lucknow,October 04, 2019 12:32 IST
1570339686851.png

Two Tejas trains of the Indian Railways will be operated by the IRCTC. | Photo Credit: S. Krishnamoorthy

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, on Friday, flagged the country’s first private semi-high speed train, Tejas Express from Lucknow. The corporate train will run from Lucknow to Delhi six days a week.

While flagging off the train, Mr. Adityanath thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for gifting the train on the route. He said that the train was an example of modern technology in railways.

Ashwini Srivastava, Chief Regional Manager of the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) said that the commercial run would start from Saturday onwards.

1570339752503.png

As per the schedule, the train will leave Lucknow at 6.10 a.m. and reach the New Delhi railway station at 12.25 p.m., covering the entire distance in 6 hours and 15 minutes. The journey time of the train is lesser than the Swarn Shatabdi — currently the fastest train on the route.

Tejas Express would only have two halts — Kanpur and Ghaziabad. On its return journey, the train would leave Delhi at 3.35 p.m. and reach Lucknow at 10.05 p.m. The train will begin its journey from Lucknow at 6.10 a.m. and reach Delhi at 12.25 p.m. with halts at Kanpur and Ghaziabad.

1570339772656.png

Tejas, which is India’s first private train run by IRCTC, will have one executive class air conditioned chair car with 56 and nine air-conditioned chair car coaches with a capacity of 78 passengers in each coach.

For the new Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express, IRCTC will also extend the facilities of taxi hiring, hotel bookings to those passengers who need it.

All the passengers travelling by Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express will be provided a free insurance of up to ₹10 lakh by the IRCTC. The passengers will also be allowed to use the executive lounge of the New Delhi railway station. The facility of using retiring rooms at the Lucknow junction station will also be provided.

Meals will be served by on-board service staff. Tea and coffee vending machines will be available in the train. Water will be provided on demand through RO machines for passengers. IRCTC is also contemplating on the sale of merchandise goods on board to its passengers on these trains.

The Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express will have an advance reservation period of 60 days. No concessions, privileges or duty passes will be allowed on these trains.

Tejas Express contains all the modern facilities with the state-of-art interior, personalised reading lights, AC coaches, mobile charging points, CCTV cameras, bio-toilets, LED TV, automatic doors and many more.

Lucknow-Delhi Tejas Express, India’s ‘first private train’ flagged off

Reactions: Bali78
Great news! Indian Railways installs bio-toilets in 95% train coaches; 100% target to be achieved in 3 months

By: Nikita Prasad | Published: October 4, 2019 3:15:40 PM

Bio toilets are decomposition mechanized toilets which decomposes human excreta waste into organic matter through the biological process of composting.

1570341933616.png

Piyush Goyal-led Railway Ministry has completed the successful installation of bio-toilets in 95 per cent trains across the Indian Railways network.

Indian Railways’ big step towards sustainable cleanliness! In a firm development under the ‘Swachh Rail, Swachh Bharat’ campaign, Piyush Goyal-led Railway Ministry has completed the successful installation of bio-toilets in 95 per cent trains across the Indian Railways network. VK Yadav, Chairman, Railway Board, has said that in the next three months, bio-toilets will be installed in all train coaches across the network. In the recent survey announcement of top 10 cleanest railway stations in India, the Chairman said that over the last five years, hygiene and passenger services have improved tremendously under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.

The recent feat of installation of bio-toilets across several train coaches has been a part of the Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat campaign. Bio-toilets are decomposition mechanized toilets which decompose human excreta waste into organic matter through the biological process of composting. Hence, the mechanism of bio-toilets help in the sustainable management of solid waste. The Railway Board Chairman stated that of the 70,000 train coaches across the Indian Railways, only 2,300 train coaches are left for installation of bio-toilets installed in them. In the next three months, the remaining coaches will be equipped with bio toilets in train coaches.

Indian Railways has also developed a new technology, in collaboration with the RDSO (Research Design and Standard Organisation) – the bio-cum-vacuum toilets. Soon, train coaches will be equipped with new bio-vacuum toilets. Vacuum toilets allow for almost negligible water to be used in the act of flushing, while maintaining hygiene and cleanliness

Indian Railways has also observed a nationwide ban of single-use plastic across its network. Additionally, on the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Railway Ministry has taken some strict measures to ban single-use plastic, which are to be followed by all the zones of the network. In this regard, plastic bottle crushing machines have been installed across railways stations and all railway vendors, staff have been encouraged to avoid the use of plastic carry bags. The usage of inexpensive reusable bags is being promoted to reduce the plastic footprint.

Great news! Indian Railways installs bio-toilets in 95% train coaches; 100% target to be achieved in 3 months

Any additional info there on this line that Sir, you know of? Seems to be in your neck of the woods. How does the gauge difference etc is being taken care of?

You have obviously heard of this : Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project - Wikipedia

The project has many components, but I will only focus on the railway part of it. The initial plan was to connect Mizoram to Myanmar by rail then use the Sittwe port of Myanmar, which again we are developing, with the Kolkata port. Now the connectivity will be done using multiple means(road, rail, inland waterways and later air) to bring a degree of redundancy. The problem was Mizoram doesn't have a broad gauge rail track yet, the sad state of infrastructure in NE.:cautious:

So Delhi is left with 2 choices :

1. Build a new broad gauge track in Mizoram.
2. Use the nearest state with broad gauge i.e. Tripura.

Delhi chose do do both. Mizoram will get a broad gauge by 2021 :

Mizoram to have broad gauge rail line by 2021: Amit Shah

And an alternate path though Tripura. A road-rail combined bridge connecting Belonia in South Tripura with Parshuram, Bangladesh. Now, it was originally planned that this bridge will eventually lead to a Bangladeshi port(Chittagong port, I think) which was to be a substitute to the Sittwe port, in case the deal with Myanmar doesn't go through.

Now here comes the politics. Tripura is not geographically at the border of Myanmar but has always wanted a connection to Myanmar. Why ? Because then we can use that to connect to Thailand and all the way to Vietnam. Its far fetched, I know. Its an old dream of people who don't have the means to achieve such dreams. Sort of like "Ghazwa e hind", I guess.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

To get a background of this "dream" read this old article :

State demands 257 kms railway track from Tripura to Myanmar border

The Agartala-Bangladesh lines are being built as we speak. Construction has progressed quite a bit, tracks are being laid at a few places, bridges being built. The Agartala railway station needs to be expanded to handle international traffic. Then there are other things like customs, passports etc. so expect delays in implementation. But construction is proceeding well.

The Belonia-Myanmar line is something GoI is discussing with the Bangladeshis. I suppose the Bangladeshi govt. wants to keep quiet about this given their ongoing spat with Myanmar regarding the Rohingya situation. Delhi is in a bind in a way, we can't overtly support Bangladesh lest we might cause problems for the India-Myanmar relations and vice versa. Both Bangladesh and Myanmar seem to want to use India to needle each other. Scenes straight out of a soap opera. Lovely isn't it ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for tracks, they are the same everywhere. Call it the vestiges of the British empire. The only problem is narrow gauge and broad gauge.

The Tripura govt. is confident the link through Bangladesh is happening, but they also seem to strongly believe the Myanmar link will also happen. We seem to be developing an "industrial" policy around it, if you want to call it that. The plan is make stuff in South Tripura and sell it to the world, make stuff in North Tripura and sell it to India, West Tripura is the administrative block and East Tripura has tourists spots.

Tripura gets its first-ever SEZ

Its ambitious, no doubt. There are a lot of roadblocks. But the political leadership of the state seems to think it will work. When asked about the problems that might arise in the train/road/railway links with Bangladesh and Myanmar given the Rohingya and the NRC in Assam, a senior politician from BJP said : "Delhi will find a way".

I have no faith in CM Biplab Kr. Deb, but I do hope Delhi knows how much of our hopes are riding on them.

I seem to have gone off topic, alright I will stop now.

You have obviously heard of this : Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project - Wikipedia

The project has many components, but I will only focus on the railway part of it. The initial plan was to connect Mizoram to Myanmar by rail then use the Sittwe port of Myanmar, which again we are developing, with the Kolkata port. Now the connectivity will be done using multiple means(road, rail, inland waterways and later air) to bring a degree of redundancy. The problem was Mizoram doesn't have a broad gauge rail track yet, the sad state of infrastructure in NE.:cautious:

So Delhi is left with 2 choices :

1. Build a new broad gauge track in Mizoram.
2. Use the nearest state with broad gauge i.e. Tripura.

Delhi chose do do both. Mizoram will get a broad gauge by 2021 :

Mizoram to have broad gauge rail line by 2021: Amit Shah

And an alternate path though Tripura. A road-rail combined bridge connecting Belonia in South Tripura with Parshuram, Bangladesh. Now, it was originally planned that this bridge will eventually lead to a Bangladeshi port(Chittagong port, I think) which was to be a substitute to the Sittwe port, in case the deal with Myanmar doesn't go through.

Now here comes the politics. Tripura is not geographically at the border of Myanmar but has always wanted a connection to Myanmar. Why ? Because then we can use that to connect to Thailand and all the way to Vietnam. Its far fetched, I know. Its an old dream of people who don't have the means to achieve such dreams. Sort of like "Ghazwa e hind", I guess.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

To get a background of this "dream" read this old article :

State demands 257 kms railway track from Tripura to Myanmar border

The Agartala-Bangladesh lines are being built as we speak. Construction has progressed quite a bit, tracks are being laid at a few places, bridges being built. The Agartala railway station needs to be expanded to handle international traffic. Then there are other things like customs, passports etc. so expect delays in implementation. But construction is proceeding well.

The Belonia-Myanmar line is something GoI is discussing with the Bangladeshis. I suppose the Bangladeshi govt. wants to keep quiet about this given their ongoing spat with Myanmar regarding the Rohingya situation. Delhi is in a bind in a way, we can't overtly support Bangladesh lest we might cause problems for the India-Myanmar relations and vice versa. Both Bangladesh and Myanmar seem to want to use India to needle each other. Scenes straight out of a soap opera. Lovely isn't it ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for tracks, they are the same everywhere. Call it the vestiges of the British empire. The only problem is narrow gauge and broad gauge.

The Tripura govt. is confident the link through Bangladesh is happening, but they also seem to strongly believe the Myanmar link will also happen. We seem to be developing an "industrial" policy around it, if you want to call it that. The plan is make stuff in South Tripura and sell it to the world, make stuff in North Tripura and sell it to India, West Tripura is the administrative block and East Tripura has tourists spots.

Tripura gets its first-ever SEZ

Its ambitious, no doubt. There are a lot of roadblocks. But the political leadership of the state seems to think it will work. When asked about the problems that might arise in the train/road/railway links with Bangladesh and Myanmar given the Rohingya and the NRC in Assam, a senior politician from BJP said : "Delhi will find a way".

I have no faith in CM Biplab Kr. Deb, but I do hope Delhi knows how much of our hopes are riding on them.

I seem to have gone off topic, alright I will stop now.
That was a fascinating account. Info regarding kaladan is hard to find, all one get is scraps about Sittwe and the couple of barges there. Though ot, nice to hear about the aspiration to connect with south East Asia. A train from Tripura to Vietnam would be a great journey.

If I recollect it correctly, the railway in Myanmar is in a dilapidated state, and uses metre guage. Some kind of interchange must be there at the border, any details of that you may have heard of, like the interchange point etc. Also given kaladan is multimodal, are we going to build a BG section till the nearest port on kaladan river or till the road terminus, so that the guage change is avoided. And will Myanmar railway be able to support the volume we may be operating with?

A train from Tripura to Vietnam would be a great journey.
Indeed. A lot to see, lots to eat and so much to take in. If it works, who knows it might turn to a popular tourist travel route.
Wasn't there a plan to connect Tamil Nadu to Sri Lanka ? Or was it Kerala to Sri Lanka ?
If I recollect it correctly, the railway in Myanmar is in a dilapidated state, and uses metre guage.
They use metre gauge, standard gauge and in some cases Indian broad gauge. The state of their railway inventory is similar in diversity to that of our Airforce in some ways.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The buy from everyone and use what they buy. There is no standardisation across the country.
Some kind of interchange must be there at the border, any details of that you may have heard of, like the interchange point etc
Break-of-gauge stations, they are called. There are none as of yet, but a few are proposed at the border in Mizoram and Manipur. Dimensions are as follows :
Standard gauge : 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) to Indian Gauge : 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) and vice versa.
Also given kaladan is multimodal, are we going to build a BG section till the nearest port on kaladan river or till the road terminus, so that the guage change is avoided.
Sorry, didn't understand the question. What's a BG section ?
And will Myanmar railway be able to support the volume we may be operating with?
Depends on the volume of trade. Given that the Sittwe port is in the Rakhine state, it will be difficult to attract businesses there. But if by some miracle, the traffic increase to say the level of traffic we have in the Guwahati railway station today, then we can reliable assume the Myanmar railways will have breakdown of sorts. Also if this ever happens the economic centre of gravity of the country will shift to Sittwe.

Reactions: vingensys
What's a BG section ?
I had forget the break-of-gauge term. And you had answered my query. My question was, whether would we avoid a break of gauge and build a Broad Gauge (BG) section or rail line till the nearest port on the Kaladan river, so that goods coming from Sittwe can be directly loaded to an Indian Railway rake and be on its way to India.

I thought only IAF would maintain a menagerie of equipment, its a solace to know that we have a partner in Myanmar railway