Indian Science and Technology Developments : Updates and Discussions

indian navy in collaboration with Interdisciplinary Centre for Energy Research (ICER) and IISC
has designed & developed a ‘first-of-its-kind’ Transcritical CO2 based 30TR Air Conditioning plant for Marine Applications.
The prototype is a stepping stone towards adopting natural refrigerant substituting conventional HCFCs.

indian navy in collaboration with Interdisciplinary Centre for Energy Research (ICER) and IISC
has designed & developed a ‘first-of-its-kind’ Transcritical CO2 based 30TR Air Conditioning plant for Marine Applications.
The prototype is a stepping stone towards adopting natural refrigerant substituting conventional HCFCs.

CO2 has been used as a refrigerant since some time . This isn't exactly a ground breaking development . It may be the services are using it for the first time . Unnecessary hype !

CO2 has been used as a refrigerant since some time . This isn't exactly a ground breaking development . It may be the services are using it for the first time . Unnecessary hype !

Its been used in Europe mostly in recent years . Many European companies like Bitzer and nordic institutions are probably leader in this field . I think its new for india . There was a news few years back about IIT Madras developing something similar . But CO2 compressor crossing 140 hp must be something new with respect to india .

Reactions: _Anonymous_
Its been used in Europe mostly in recent years . Many European companies like Bitzer and nordic institutions are probably leader in this field . I think its new for india . There was a news few years back about IIT Madras developing something similar . But CO2 compressor crossing 140 hp must be something new with respect to india .
Concept of using C02 as a refrigerant in refrigeration is an old one likely from the 1950s or even earlier IIRC ( read a paper a long time back so you'd have to excuse me if details are not precise but the information here is factual) but similar attempts at air conditioning failed due to the high pressure CO2 works at. Industrial technology then wasn't advanced to a level to mfg compressors to deal with high bars of pressure .

There are a few installations of air conditioning plants in India that I'm aware which was executed in the recent past albeit more of smaller capacity < 250 TR, though I don't have the details with me & were more of an experimental nature.

This could be a first in terms of marine application in India. That's commendable though expected but the write up should've mentioned this detail.

What's even more admirable is that in advanced economies it's the military's quest for cutting edge technology that's provided the civilian world with game changing breakthroughs viz the internet, mobile communication, etc. with the trend now commencing in India ( hopefully) . There was news of a completely swadeshi OS on computers being developed for the armed services. No clue how far has it reached !

BTW are you from the HVAC industry?

Concept of using C02 as a refrigerant in refrigeration is an old one likely from the 1950s or even earlier IIRC ( read a paper a long time back so you'd have to excuse me if details are not precise but the information here is factual) but similar attempts at air conditioning failed due to the high pressure CO2 works at. Industrial technology then wasn't advanced to a level to mfg compressors to deal with high bars of pressure .

There are a few installations of air conditioning plants in India that I'm aware which was executed in the recent past albeit more of smaller capacity < 250 TR, though I don't have the details with me & were more of an experimental nature.

This could be a first in terms of marine application in India. That's commendable though expected but the write up should've mentioned this detail.

What's even more admirable is that in advanced economies it's the military's quest for cutting edge technology that's provided the civilian world with game changing breakthroughs viz the internet, mobile communication, etc. with the trend now commencing in India ( hopefully) . There was news of a completely swadeshi OS on computers being developed for the armed services. No clue how far has it reached !

BTW are you from the HVAC industry?
Earlier c02 refrigeration system used subcritical technology . It was replaced by CFC in 1950s , may be due to some technical reason . The trans critical co2 refrigeration technology is new . There might be few such system being installed in india , But non of them is manufactured by any indian company . Regarding IIT madrass , i was talking about you can read here -

Earlier c02 refrigeration system used subcritical technology . It was replaced by CFC in 1950s , may be due to some technical reason . The trans critical co2 refrigeration technology is new . There might be few such system being installed in india , But non of them is manufactured by any indian company . Regarding IIT madrass , i was talking about you can read here -

That's what I meant when I wrote CO2 couldn't be exploited commercially in the air conditioning sector ( refrigeration as in cold storages up to 0°C operate on the sub critical spectrum & is a different ball game ) back in the day because of the lack of technological sophistication.

The theory of transcritical cycle isn't a new one either though the industrial breakthrough in it is . Read up on the Rankine cycle & it's variations.

I never wrote they were mfd in India.

Thanks for the paper but intrigued by your previous post, I just read it before you linked it here .

Reactions: kharabela

Bengaluru astronomers, collaborators build new low-cost star sensors for satellites​

AA18GPIM.jpg

Its low-cost star sensor — sensors used by satellites to orient themselves — that can help small CubeSat-class satellites find their orientation in space. It costs less than 10% of those available in the market . The instrument, ‘Starberry-Sense’, built using commercially available off-the-shelf (COTS) components,

Reactions: Parthu
IIT K has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Boehringer Ingelheim India, a global pharmaceutical company. As a part of this new collaboration, Boehringer Ingelheim will provide support to Lenek Technologies, one of the startups incubated at SIIC, IIT Kanpur. Lenek Technologies has developed a handheld X-ray device , which will bring about a significant change in TB screening in areas where resources are limited.

cross posting from another thread

Here company co founder explains what hyper spectral imaging is

Hyper spectral imaging technology was used by USA navy seals in operation to kill Osama bin Laden in Abbotabad . It has many use in civilian sphere as well .

India’s first quantum computing-based telecom network link is now operational between Sanchar Bhawan and the office of National Informatics Centre (NIC) at the Central Government Offices (CGO) Complex in Delhi.

• Informative
C-DAC has developed Trinetra-B platform which was validated for (a) data transmission over 10 concurrent channels of 200Gbps each, full duplex, and (b) PCI e Gen3, 16x interface using bidirectional DMA, with approximately 80% of peak throughput achieved.
IMG_20230401_183133.jpg

A team of researchers at the Raman Research Institute achieved a breakthrough in their efforts towards using satellites for secure quantum communication . This involved the demonstration of secure communication between a stationary device and a moving receiver using Quantum Key Distribution . While the Raman Research Institute has previously demonstrated the transmission of quantum keys between two stationary points in 2021, the present feat has been achieved in India for the first time.

• Informative
From DST annual report.
IMG_20230403_124044.jpg

2) Researchers from the Centre found ways for broader design and engineering of reconfigurable functional magnonic crystals, which can show the way for magnon based computing systems and bring about a paradigm shift in computing and communication devices.

3)
IMG_20230403_124734.jpg

Nod to Jagadish Chandra Bose: ‘Plants can emit sounds’​

Scientists announced on Thursday that they had recorded sounds emitted by plants — airborne waves similar to popcorn pops but at frequencies inaudible to humans — a century after India’s Jagadish Chandra Bose showed that plants can perceive and respond to stimuli.
The researchers, at Tel Aviv University in Israel, said the plants emitted sounds in volumes similar to human speech but at ultrasonic frequencies, beyond the range of the human ear but within the audible ranges of bats, insects and mice.

Their study on cactuses, corn, tomatoes, tobacco and wheat suggests that plants typically emit sounds under stress from dehydration or from having their stems severed. They also found that each type of stress is associated with a specific and distinct type of sound.

“The sound is informative -- it tells us what type of specific stress the plant is experiencing,” Lilach Hadany, professor of plant sciences at Tel Aviv University who led the study, told The Telegraph. The findings were published in the journal Cell on Thursday.

Earlier studies had recorded vibrations from plants. Hadany and her colleagues designed experiments in a basement lab with no background noise to determine whether the vibrations also translated into airborne waves detectable through instruments placed at a distance.

Their study recorded plants emitting sounds at frequencies of 40 kilohertz to 80 kilohertz. Humans hear sounds in frequencies of 20 hertz to 20 kilohertz.

Unstressed plants emitted less than one sound per hour, while plants under stress -- either dehydrated or injured because their stems were severed -- emitted between 30 and 50 sounds per hour.

The scientists analysed the sounds through machine learning algorithms -- a class of artificial intelligence systems -- that learned to distinguish between different plants and different stress types. The study found that the sounds peaked as stress increased, and then diminished.

“In a dehydrating tomato plant, the sounds become noticeable by the second day, peak by the fifth day of dehydration and stop when the plant is completely dehydrated,” Hadany said. “The sounds thus appear associated with living plants.”

The plants’ sounds, she said, could have two possible explanations.

“One, the sounds are entirely the byproducts of the physical processes that accompany the stress in the plants, and two, the most exciting one, is that the sounds are used for communication -- either to insects or other plants. We don’t know who’s listening,” Hadany said in a telephone interview.

Future studies, Hadany said, will seek to explore the mechanisms underlying the sounds, and whether insects and other plants detect and respond to these sounds. Her colleagues in the study were Yossi Yovel and Nir Saad, among others, at Tel Aviv University.

Their findings come nearly a century after Indian physicist and plant physiologist Bose showed through pioneering experiments that plants can perceive and respond to stimuli.

“Bose was much ahead of his time, but over the decades, there has been growing evidence that plants themselves perceive and respond to sounds,” said K.R. Shivanna, a plant scientist at the Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment, Bangalore, who was not associated with the Tel Aviv study.

In the 1950s, scientists at Annamalai University in India observed that plants exposed to classical music showed significantly increased biomass. A US study in the 1970s had documented that growing plants leaned towards classical and jazz music and away from rock music, Shivanna wrote in a review of research published last year in the Journal of the Indian Botanical Society.

Some plant biologists cautioned that any suggestion that plants actively generate sounds is likely to be contested. "There is a need to distinguish between the noise that comes from plants during physiological processes such as the uptake of water or the movements of leaves or flowers, and the sounds generated in response to stimuli," said a plant biologist who requested not to be named. "The mechanisms of these sounds need to be better understood."

Reactions: kharabela