Indian Sonar and Torpedo developments

1717861514415.png

Attachments

HEB in their AR mentioned about the battery part , I guess they are one of the suppliers beside the other silver-zinc battery supplier HBL ? I also attached both the HEB and HBL battery brochures below.

View attachment 34061View attachment 34062

View attachment 34063

around page 24 : https://www.highenergy.co.in/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/HEB-Annual-Report-2024.pdf
An excellent find.

The initial Varunastra HWT battery was rated at 200kW. With that battery the torpedo can be propelled at 40 knots to a range of ~40 kms. That old battery is listed in the battery brochure as SZ-200. This is now apparently limited to practice rounds.

Now, DRDO seems to have productionized a 270kW battery listed as SZ-270. I am guessing this battery will eventually be upgraded to 300kW. With this new battery the Varunastra can do 50 knots for a range of 50 kms. Performance on this version of the torpedo will be on par with the French F21.

DRDO is also discussing developing a 400kW battery. This would allow the torpedo to do 55+ knots for 40+ kms. On par with the Mark 48 torpedo. For an electrically powered torpedo this would be quite the achievement.

Yes, because DRDO NPOL failed miserably. You want them to induct without basic equipment? Like in the case of Kamorta class?

There are going to be 16 ASW SWC, why only 12 VDS?
Four must be be direct import.

It could be that VDS for ASW-SWC is licensed for production by CFF Fluid Control, and ACTAS is by BEL. Dont know why they need new partner if BEL is already doing it.