LOC Flare up: Related news and Discussions

We already have excellent rates of production and stockpiles, and the West seems to be building capacity in India's private sector as well. We are just missing certain types of weapons; long range subsonic, supersonic, hypersonic CMs and long range conventional BMs, all 600-1500 km. We are pretty good everywhere else. The IAF needs another set of long range ADS like the S-400.

These are the most important where you need adequate rate of production. And that too 85% should be indigenous. Add production rate of Tejas Mk1 and Rafale as priority. Because they will target the production houses with their long range weapons.

Our rocket artillery is lacking, our ammunition is lacking, we don't have subsonic cruise missiles, stand off munitions.

We have very large amounts of rocket artillery. We have hundreds of Grad launchers and we are replacing those with 400 Pinaka launchers, of which we already have half.

We have a large amount of standoff munitions as well, short and medium. We are only missing long range systems 'cause they are very expensive.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
We have very large amounts of rocket artillery. We have hundreds of Grad launchers and we are replacing those with 400 Pinaka launchers, of which we already have half.

We have a large amount of standoff munitions as well, short and medium. We are only missing long range systems 'cause they are very expensive.
We are also missing indigenous long range stand off munitions. Buying a few Israeli and American stand off munitions won't help us. We need a large variety of stand off munitions that can hit up to 250km. The Turks will soon start arming the Pakistanis and they have a variety of stand off munitions in testing and induction.

These are the most important where you need adequate rate of production. And that too 85% should be indigenous. Add production rate of Tejas Mk1 and Rafale as priority. Because they will target the production houses with their long range weapons.

Brahmos I family will be 85% indigenous. Brahmos II family is unknown. LR-LACM and the SR/MRBM will be fully indigenous.

What we really need is alternate means of supply in a long war. And that's really American JDAMs and JASSMs. LCA is gonna be integrated with JDAM-ER and the French Hammer. So hopefully the JASSM family follows suit.

If we go for the B-1s, then they can carry 24 JASSM-ERs. There's also the more advanced JASSM-XR in the works (too heavy for fighters). There are land-based versions too. There's also the Rapid Dragon, which uses C-130s and C-17s. They carry JASSM-ER/XR, LRASM and JDAM-ER. Even swarm drones. A C-130 can carry 12 missiles and a C-17 can carry 45.

So the JASSM is the best bet for a quick induction. We already have C-130 and C-17s, and a B-1 lease/sale can happen within a year.

We are also missing indigenous long range stand off munitions. Buying a few Israeli and American stand off munitions won't help us. We need a large variety of stand off munitions that can hit up to 250km. The Turks will soon start arming the Pakistanis and they have a variety of stand off munitions in testing and induction.

Up to 250 km, we have those. Kh-59 is the IAF's main weapon. This requirement in the future will be fulfilled by indigenous designs though, basically glide and powered bombs in the 50-250 km category; SAAW, LRGB, JDAM-ER, Hammer etc. And HAL's working on a stealth missile. The IAF is interested in ALBMs at this range too, like RudraM. They have the Rampage already.

For longer ranges there's the Brahmos-A, SCALP, Brahmos-M, and LR-LACM.

So, we are only missing capability in the 1000+ km range. Nirbhay was supposed to give us that, but it's delayed. JASSM ER/XR is our go-to stopgap solution.

Up to 250 km, we have those. Kh-59 is the IAF's main weapon. This requirement in the future will be fulfilled by indigenous designs though, basically glide and powered bombs in the 50-250 km category; SAAW, LRGB, JDAM-ER, Hammer etc. And HAL's working on a stealth missile. The IAF is interested in ALBMs at this range too, like RudraM. They have the Rampage already.

For longer ranges there's the Brahmos-A, SCALP, Brahmos-M, and LR-LACM.

So, we are only missing capability in the 1000+ km range. Nirbhay was supposed to give us that, but it's delayed. JASSM ER/XR is our go-to stopgap solution.
One correction, Rampage is currently with IN's Mig-29K. IAF is contemplating whether to integrate it on their UPGs or not.

We also don't lack PGMs. SAAW and NGARM are about to get mass induction. Long range, we could just scale up CATS Hunter and so on...

Reactions: randomradio
What we really need is alternate means of supply in a long war.
Also need offshore production facilities in different countries in case domestic ones go out of operation due to enemy strike.
If we go for the B-1s, then they can carry 24 JASSM-ERs.
According to experts, if India decides to arm itself with B-1B long-range bombers, it will cost, together with the armament, about $1 billion each.

Too costly for MoD. And at least 5 years more before they negotiate the final price adjusting inflation. The only advantage is they are in ready to fly state. Only operation and maintenance training is required for IAF.

Also need offshore production facilities in different countries in case domestic ones go out of operation due to enemy strike.

Too costly for MoD. And at least 5 years more before they negotiate the final price adjusting inflation. The only advantage is they are in ready to fly state. Only operation and maintenance training is required for IAF.

Bulgarian Military is a Russian propaganda site. The tone of the article itself tells you that.

Tu-160 is an option as well.

It's all speculation for now. It all started 'cause the ex-IAF Chief Arup Raha said he wants 6 Tu-160s.

Has doctrine of India changed? I recall it was enough stockpile for 2 weeks, has that been extended at all? I know it's not cheap but unless the war is quick like Azeri/Armenian wars (and I suspect India won't roll over as quickly) any conflict will drag out for months.

Has doctrine of India changed? I recall it was enough stockpile for 2 weeks, has that been extended at all? I know it's not cheap but unless the war is quick like Azeri/Armenian wars (and I suspect India won't roll over as quickly) any conflict will drag out for months.
Yes it has. Russia-Ukraine war has come as an eye-opener to our military planners/armed forces. From having limited stock for an intense short conflict, now the focus has shifted towards developing our desi MIC for a protracted long war of attrition. All three armed forces are also in-sync with this view-point.

• Informative
Reactions: Ginvincible
Bulgarian Military is a Russian propaganda site. The tone of the article itself tells you that.

Tu-160 is an option as well.

It's all speculation for now. It all started 'cause the ex-IAF Chief Arup Raha said he wants 6 Tu-160s.

But the price what has been quoted here seems realistic. If not 1 Billion dollar each then atleast 850 million per unit. That's too much for the IAF.
More over, the the american strategic command hasn't retired it yet that proves a point that they won't easily sell it for lower price.

Don't think so. Anyway, that was war reserves, not the main stockpiles. We have a lot of ammo, including stored stuff. But there's gonna be a recaliberation of what's necessary for future wars.

Although India is preparing for a two-front war, it's quite unlikely.

But the price what has been quoted here seems realistic. If not 1 Billion dollar each then atleast 850 million per unit. That's too much for the IAF.
More over, the the american strategic command hasn't retired it yet that proves a point that they won't easily sell it for lower price.

You are thinking of a brand new bomber, but any B-1B we get will be refurbished and supplied to India for a life of 10+ years at best. It will apparently cost $30M per jet to fix. Then say a nominal transfer cost of $20M after that. So $50M per jet or $300M for all. Recall that the Trenton was sold for $48M to India. This ship is well over a billion bucks.

Missiles could cost a lot more depending on how many we need. So a single shot of 24 per jet could set us back by $720M if all the missiles are new. Or we could get second-hand stuff with 10 years left for a lot cheaper.

That's a little over $1B for all 6 with weapons. Say another billion for infrastructure and spares, which will mostly be transferred from existing units and cannibalized.

The Tu-160M will cost a lot. It's 15B rubles or $160M per jet. So procurement cost with weapons and R&D could go over $500M per jet.

You are thinking of a brand new bomber, but any B-1B we get will be refurbished and supplied to India for a life of 10+ years at best. It will apparently cost $30M per jet to fix. Then say a nominal transfer cost of $20M after that. So $50M per jet or $300M for all. Recall that the Trenton was sold for $48M to India. This ship is well over a billion bucks.

Missiles could cost a lot more depending on how many we need. So a single shot of 24 per jet could set us back by $720M if all the missiles are new. Or we could get second-hand stuff with 10 years left for a lot cheaper.

That's a little over $1B for all 6 with weapons. Say another billion for infrastructure and spares, which will mostly be transferred from existing units and cannibalized.

The Tu-160M will cost a lot. It's 15B rubles or $160M per jet. So procurement cost with weapons and R&D could go over $500M per jet.

I was talking about the used one, which are currently in service and USD 1 billion which I quoted from the website was including all the armaments as a package for 1 aircraft.

And then I quoted USD 850M per unit complete package, after bilateral negotiations ( this is what I believe).

And if I go as per your quoted price USD 750M, then still as per nature of Indian government I am sure they will not go for it.

What can happen is, they will at most buy 7 units and pay USD 5 Billion. They won't be coming before 2028. Meanwhile China will deploy their 5th Gen at in whole Tibetan theater.

I was talking about the used one, which are currently in service and USD 1 billion which I quoted from the website was including all the armaments as a package for 1 aircraft.

And then I quoted USD 850M per unit complete package, after bilateral negotiations ( this is what I believe).

And if I go as per your quoted price USD 750M, then still as per nature of Indian government I am sure they will not go for it.

What can happen is, they will at most buy 7 units and pay USD 5 Billion. They won't be coming before 2028. Meanwhile China will deploy their 5th Gen at in whole Tibetan theater.

No, it's $1B in total for 6 jets and their weapons. The article is quoting Eurasian Times.

We don't know when we will go for the bombers, if at all, but they are not meant to fight the J-20.

A bomber requirement was brought up by ex-ACM Arup Raha for the SFC, along with other roles. He spoke about the Tu-160 though, 'cause obviously the US wouldn't allow theirs for nuclear delivery.

Pakistan's ISI directs overground workers in Kashmir to prepare new route for infiltration: Intel report

Pakistan's intelligence agency ISI has issued directives to its overground workers in Kashmir to prepare a route plan for infiltration, intelligence sources have said.

This comes amid heightened tension between India and Pakistan following the abrogation of Article 370 which Islamabad has tried to raise on every international forum. After failing to get any traction, the frustrated Pakistani Army is relying on other options and planning to launch terror attacks in Jammu and Kashmir.

Pakistan-based terrorists launch infiltration into Jammu and Kashmir every year during winter under the cover of snowfall. This year, the ISI has asked its overground workers in Kashmir to prepare a new route and start the recce ahead of winter.

According to an intelligence report, they have been asked to recce forward locations of Army in Gurez Sector and prepare a map to reach the location. They have also been asked to get the GPS locations of Indian Army camps and nallahs in the area.

Pakistan's ISI directs overground workers in Kashmir to prepare new route for infiltration: Intel report

Terrorists who are successful in infiltration are helped by local guides. These guides have links with different terror organisations operating in the region.

According to the intelligence report, ISI has provided the terrorists who are ready to infiltrate with details of overground workers, their contacts near the Line of Control (LoC).

The report also mentions the heightened movement of Pakistani Army in PoK. Areas such as Minimarg, Kamri, Dimel and Gultari, where both Pak army posts and terror camps exist, have seen these movements.

These areas have also received arms and ammunition recently.

This news was in 2019. Now Indian army launches Sarvashakti. They knew this was coming, what did they do since then?

A complete new project for such delivery systems using Kaveri engine along with TU 160 is more profitable. Makes you independent in use.

The requirement is for 1 squadron, so it's not a big problem. In case we need a stealth bomber, we will need a better engine, and 15 years.