Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning and F-22 'Raptor' : News & Discussion

Who knew? Stealth planes aren't invisible. They are just more invisible than a 4th gen Rafale. Whatever scenario you come up with. The Rafale will be seen first.

The opposite.

Everything can be seen by VHF radars, but they are big and easily destroyed.

But when it comes to SWIR, the heat generated from the Rafale is much less than modern 5th gen jets today.

'Slightly more' shows that you are uninformed of the number and too lazy to google.
The number varied from 20:1 or 15:1, so actually slightly less. But that was not my point so I didn't delve too much in it.
The rest is just as uninformed opinion.
Yet you use the F-22 144:1 as something to be valued. When was it and what was it against? I smell hypocrisy
Actually some sites reported 144:1 while some reported 144:0 kill ratio for Raptor, much better than F-35.

Dude, uninformed opinion? I never claim any thing without proof. Since you ask for it here it is:

In Alaska, the F-22 achieved an unprecedented 144:0 kill ratio in the first week of Northern Edge. "In the first week of the fight, the preponderance of engagements were beyond visual range. In the second week they got into the merge and took a couple of shots," says Lawson, pointing out that the pilots averaged less than 100h on the aircraft. The final tally was 80:1.

Source: Export Ready? The F-22

So much so for people claiming F-35 as the next big thing, lol. 15:1 or 20:1 is no where near 144:0.

F-22>> F-35. Period.

Whatever lets you sleep at night.

Common sense definitely helps.

The lower the thrust rating of an engine, the lesser the heat produced. And IR reduction was part of the Rafale's design from the start.

The French use 2 air streams, one of it is released into the exhaust to cool it.

1473011817_hqdefault.jpg

1473011645_rafale-ir.jpg

Common sense definitely helps.

The lower the thrust rating of an engine, the lesser the heat produced. And IR reduction was part of the Rafale's design from the start.

The French use 2 air streams, one of it is released into the exhaust to cool it.

1473011817_hqdefault.jpg

1473011645_rafale-ir.jpg
Don't give up your day job. you are funny.
You didn't see my other post?
"The larger B2 and I would think the B21, is actually harder to detect. Physics is funny. Everything can be detected. It's just a matter at what range and can you target it.."

You didn't see my other post?
"The larger B2 and I would think the B21, is actually harder to detect. Physics is funny. Everything can be detected. It's just a matter at what range and can you target it.."

Those are images from air shows. Which jet do you think is more detectable from longer range by just looking at those images?

Reactions: Bali78 and Abheer
Flankers and Rafafles better hope it's not a cloudy day when trying to detect an F-22.
Last I heard, Raptor supercruises at 35-40k+ feet. At that altitude, QWIP IRST is stealth plane's biggest enemy. Raptor would need to fly low and slow, below crowd cover to reduce the detection range by IRST. But that would be quite oxymoron for it, me thinks.

No wonder the frogs can spin so much BS here. this is kindy for dummies 101. An IR picture of a plane taking off, at a few hundred feet, proves everything.
Is it compulsory for you to always insult the French people by calling them "frogs"? What if they start to call you "convict", then what?

French are proud people, they have designed a very good plane like Rafale and they are passionate about it. Yes, they do make some exaggerated claims, but kindly address and criticize their opinion/points without insulting a country and ethnicity, please. You're an intelligent poster, hence refrain from using ad hominem.

@Ashwin kindly take note.

Is it compulsory for you to always insult the French people by calling them "frogs"? What if they start to call you "convict", then what?

French are proud people, they have designed a very good plane like Rafale and they are passionate about it. Yes, they do make some exaggerated claims, but kindly address and criticize their opinion/points without insulting a country and ethnicity, please. You're an intelligent poster, hence refrain from using ad hominem.

@Ashwin kindly take note.
Skippy, Skip, skips, is common..for skippy the bush kangaroo.
1677952281155.png

Last edited:
Last I heard, Raptor supercruises at 35-40k+ feet. At that altitude, QWIP IRST is stealth plane's biggest enemy. Raptor would need to fly low and slow, below crowd cover to reduce the detection range by IRST. But that would be quite oxymoron for it, me thinks.
You do know the F22 will see the Rafale and flanker first by far? Using IRS-T to find a fighter is useless it's like trying to find a plane with a hollow straw.
No wonder the frogs can spin so much BS here. this is kindy for dummies 101. An IR picture of a plane taking off, at a few hundred feet, proves everything.
Well that's all they have which is sad really.

What is cool with stealth airplane is that they use their fuel to cool everything in. At the end of the mission when there's no more fuel or quite so, they are like a phare, glowing like the sun.
ANd during an airshow any fighter have only half their volume with fuel ...
IR is what make f-35 stealth a joke.

• Love
Reactions: Picdelamirand-oil
What is cool with stealth airplane is that they use their fuel to cool everything in.
Wow tadpole, you actually got one thing right. The rest is wrong, if you want to google statements about 8 years ago. The F-35 has better 'stealth' than the F-22. given the f-22 is better in the x-band. That leaves IR and search. It's not hard to google the f-35 IR coatings

Last edited:
You do know the F22 will see the Rafale and flanker first by far? Using IRS-T to find a fighter is useless it's like trying to find a plane with a hollow straw.
If IRST is so useless, then why USAF is planning to put a stealthy IRST pod on the Raptor? Why does F-35 have EOTS?

Modern IRST is not old analogue systems of the past. They can look far, search and track 100s of targets simultaneously.

I posted an account of a Pakistani F-16 pilot who had trained with Chinese J-10C and he categorically said that J-10C can fully attack passively using its IRST:

In an interview, he said that the J-10C is a terrible opponent. The J-10C can track and capture the target with only photoelectric detectors without using electronic radars, and the opponent has not even discovered that he has been tracked. The J-10C can be preemptive. , And the F-10C’s radar is very advanced and its detection capabilities are excellent. The radar reflection signal of the F-10C is much smaller than that of the F15SA. Without the support of an early-warning aircraft, the F-10C fighter can use sneak attack tactics to attack enemy aircraft.

Link: Chinese J-10C is good at sneak attacks, but there are many problems – Defence View

French consider Rafale's OSF as important as RBE2-AA if not more. As far as our Flanker? Well, just within few years all our Flankers would be equipped with Dual Band QWIP IRST. They will spot VLO fighters from far and swat 'em away.

Reactions: Abheer and Herciv