Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning and F-22 'Raptor' : News & Discussion

MediaRoom - News

Pratt & Whitney Awarded with $5.7B F135 Production Contract

East Hartford, Conn., Oct. 2, 2019 – Pratt & Whitney, a division of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX), today announced that it has been awarded a production contract for the 12th and 13th lots of F135 propulsion systems, powering all three variants of the F-35 Lightning II aircraft.

This award represents the largest-ever F135 production contract, funding more than 332 engines for the U.S. armed services and international customers, and includes program management, engineering support, production support, and tooling. The total contract value for Lot 12-14 is approximately $5.7 billion and it covers all Lot 12 and Lot 13 engines, with priced options for Lot 14.

“This is a significant milestone for the program and underscores the hard work of our joint government and industry team,” said Matthew Bromberg, president of Pratt & Whitney Military Engines. “We’re proud to be delivering 5th-generation propulsion capability at a great value for the warfighter.”

“With more than 500 F135 engines delivered to date, we’re at an exciting inflection point for the program. We are laser-focused on standing up an effective global sustainment network that will support the F135 throughout its lifecycle,” Bromberg said.

The combat-proven F135 is the most advanced fighter engine ever produced, delivering more than 40,000 lbs. of thrust and unmatched advances in safety, design, performance, and reliability

South Korea to buy 20 more F-35 jets

South Korea to buy 20 more F-35 jets
By: Jeff Jeong   40 minutes ago

BJMPJLQDWBD2VIYWS5YV4NQ7YI.jpg
A South Korean fighter pilot, left, stands near an F-35A in the 71st anniversary of Armed Forces Day at the Air Force Base in Daegu, South Korea, on Oct. 1, 2019. (Jeon Heon-kyun/AP)
SEOUL — South Korea will begin the second phase of its plan to acquire stealthy fighter jets, code-named F-X III, by acquiring 20 more F-35s, the country’s arms procurement agency has confirmed.

The Asian economic power had ordered 40 F-35As for Air Force operations under a 2014 deal worth about $6.4 billion, with the delivery of the fifth-generation fighters starting earlier this year.

“The government is preparing to launch the second phase of the F-X III in 2021 for the five years to come,” the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, or DAPA, said in a report to the National Assembly on Oct. 7. About $3.3 billion will go toward buying the additional Lockheed Martin-made aircraft, the report noted.

Which F-35 variant is under consideration has been a point of debate here, though multiple defense sources say the government will buy the F-35A rather than the "B" variant because of the former’s short-takeoff-and-vertical-landing capability. The STOVL ability allows the aircraft to take off and land from South Korea’s new large-deck landing ship planned for deployment in the 2030s.

“The state-funded Korea Institute for Defense Analyses, or KIDA, has concluded a study on the additional acquisition of F-35 aircraft, and the study is to suggest the introduction of more F-35As be more feasible,” a source at the Ministry of National Defense told Defense News on the condition of anonymity.

F-35A Student Pilot Saves his Jet During In-Flight Computer Failure - The Aviation Geek Club

“I was pretty high up, about 34,000 feet,and all of a sudden everything got really quiet,” said Larson. “I tried to call my flight lead and realized I couldn’t talk to anybody. I started descending, working through my checklist and rocking my wings to try and let my flight lead know that I didn’t have a radio. As I got further into the checklist I realized I had lost one of the flight computers that was responsible for controlling oxygen, pressurization, and some parts of communication.”​
Larson eventually visually communicated with his flight lead to relay the situation and decided to return to the base. As he worked through multiple checklists with additional failures, he determined that the aircraft’s landing gear could possibly collapse upon landing.​

Eielson Air Force Base reactivated the 356th Fighter Squadron and named a new commander on Oct. 10, in preparation for the arrival of the U.S. Air Force F-35A Lightning IIs to interior Alaska.

191010-F-HJ760-1048.JPG

Eielson AFB reactivates 356th Fighter Squadron
Eielson Air Force Base reactivated the 356th Fighter Squadron and named a new commander on Oct. 10, in preparation for the arrival of the U.S. Air Force F-35A Lightning IIs to interior Alaska.U.S. Air

www.eielson.af.mil

https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F05%2Fasdad111.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1557194669706-hawc-missile.jpg

Lockheed Martin has revealed a concept for a variant of its air-launched Hypersonic Air-breathing Weapon Concept hypersonic missile, or HAWC, as an armament option for U.S. Navy's F-35C Joint Strike Fighter, and potentially other aircraft, possibly in a maritime strike role. HAWC, which has so far been under development as a land attack weapon, is set to fly for the first time before the end of the year. The artist's conception of an F-35C firing a HAWC derivative first appeared at the Navy League's annual Sea, Air, Space convention just outside of Washington, D.C., on May 6, 2019. The rendering shows the stealth aircraft configured to carry two of these weapons externally, one under each wing. In April 2018, the U.S. Air Force, working together with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), awarded Lockheed Martin a contract worth approximately $928 million for the development of HAWC.​

• Informative
Reactions: Bon Plan
F-35 Readiness Rates Soar, From 55% To 73%; Price Drops 12.8%

WASHINGTON: After years of struggling to get planes into the air, the Joint Strike Fighter program has substantially boosted its mission capable readiness rates from 55 percent last October to 73 percent, Ellen Lord, the head of Pentagon acquisition, told reporters today.

While that new readiness rate does not match the 80 percent minimum set by former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, it certainly indicates Lockheed Martin has substantially improved its management of the supply chain. A shortage of parts, particularly the canopy adhesive Breaking D readers know about, had effectively crippled the program with the miserable 55 percent rate. If you can barely get half your 440 planes into the air you don’t really have a useful fleet of 440 planes at any one time.

The readiness rates were revealed this morning during a press briefing at the Pentagon to announce the final agreement on the largest procurement in American history, the $34 billion purchase of 478 F-35s in Lots 12-14 of Low Rate Initial Production.

IMAGE-10-29-19-AT-11.36-AM.jpeg

Lord listed “the particular parts that are holding us back:” the canopy problems, engine fuel hydraulic tubes, and wingtip lenses (which cover wingtip lights). Since Lt. Gen. Eric Fick, head of the F-35 program, said deployed units are boasting readiness rate of 90 percent and higher, it seems reasonable to assume that if those part shortages are cured, then the F-35 may meet or exceed the 80 percent readiness rate set by Mattis.

In other news, the average price of the F-35 fleet dropped to $78 million a plane, below the $80 million goal set in 2016 by then-PEO Lt. Gen. Chris Bogdan. And Bogdan’s target was lower than the $85 million target set by Lockheed’s Lorraine Martin in 2013. “We will reach a unit-recurring, flyaway-cost-per-aircraft target of $80 million for a U.S. Air Force F-35A price by Lot 13, which is one lot earlier than planned — a significant milestone for the department,” Lord said today.

F-35A Student Pilot Saves his Jet During In-Flight Computer Failure - The Aviation Geek Club

“I was pretty high up, about 34,000 feet,and all of a sudden everything got really quiet,” said Larson. “I tried to call my flight lead and realized I couldn’t talk to anybody. I started descending, working through my checklist and rocking my wings to try and let my flight lead know that I didn’t have a radio. As I got further into the checklist I realized I had lost one of the flight computers that was responsible for controlling oxygen, pressurization, and some parts of communication.”​
Larson eventually visually communicated with his flight lead to relay the situation and decided to return to the base. As he worked through multiple checklists with additional failures, he determined that the aircraft’s landing gear could possibly collapse upon landing.​

That last line was like a punchline to a joke.

F-35 Readiness Rates Soar, From 55% To 73%; Price Drops 12.8%

WASHINGTON: After years of struggling to get planes into the air, the Joint Strike Fighter program has substantially boosted its mission capable readiness rates from 55 percent last October to 73 percent, Ellen Lord, the head of Pentagon acquisition, told reporters today.

While that new readiness rate does not match the 80 percent minimum set by former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, it certainly indicates Lockheed Martin has substantially improved its management of the supply chain. A shortage of parts, particularly the canopy adhesive Breaking D readers know about, had effectively crippled the program with the miserable 55 percent rate. If you can barely get half your 440 planes into the air you don’t really have a useful fleet of 440 planes at any one time.

The readiness rates were revealed this morning during a press briefing at the Pentagon to announce the final agreement on the largest procurement in American history, the $34 billion purchase of 478 F-35s in Lots 12-14 of Low Rate Initial Production.

IMAGE-10-29-19-AT-11.36-AM.jpeg

Lord listed “the particular parts that are holding us back:” the canopy problems, engine fuel hydraulic tubes, and wingtip lenses (which cover wingtip lights). Since Lt. Gen. Eric Fick, head of the F-35 program, said deployed units are boasting readiness rate of 90 percent and higher, it seems reasonable to assume that if those part shortages are cured, then the F-35 may meet or exceed the 80 percent readiness rate set by Mattis.

In other news, the average price of the F-35 fleet dropped to $78 million a plane, below the $80 million goal set in 2016 by then-PEO Lt. Gen. Chris Bogdan. And Bogdan’s target was lower than the $85 million target set by Lockheed’s Lorraine Martin in 2013. “We will reach a unit-recurring, flyaway-cost-per-aircraft target of $80 million for a U.S. Air Force F-35A price by Lot 13, which is one lot earlier than planned — a significant milestone for the department,” Lord said today.
This price figure don't integrate all the developpment costs added during the long road to FOC.

just a fact : 13 years after first pre serial flight, the F35 is only IOC (and a political IOC). Far from beeing FOC...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/lockheed-to-get-dollar34-billion-for-f-35-as-pentagon-announces-award/ar-AAJuaZH

Lockheed to get $34 billion for F-35 as Pentagon announces award

The Pentagon announced a final agreement with Lockheed Martin Corp. on the biggest contract yet for the next-generation F-35 jet.

$
© Reuters Lockheed delivers next version of F-35 logistics system
While the purchase of this new group of stealthy F-35s for U.S. and allied militaries is expected to be valued at about $34 billion for 478 fighters, the Defense Department’s daily contract summary on Monday specified a partial installment of $7 billion.

“The U.S. Department of Defense and Lockheed Martin have made tremendous progress and now have an agreement regarding the production and delivery of F-35 Lots 12-14,” Lt. Michael Andrews, spokesman for Pentagon acquisitions chief Ellen Lord, said in a statement. “This agreement represents our continued commitment to reduce F-35 cost aggressively, incentivize Industry to meet required performance, and deliver advanced capabilities to our warfighters at the best value to our taxpayers.”

The deal, which Lord is expected to detail at a news conference on Tuesday morning, concludes years of discussions aimed at lowering the price for the advanced fighter to about $80 million for some variants, while guaranteeing production stability for Lockheed’s largest source of profit, said Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Douglas Rothacker.

“It’s a big positive for the company,” he said. “It’s a huge show of support from the government that they’re going to extend a contract of this size for their most important weapons program.”

Related video: NATO deploys F-35 fighters jets for the first time to police Iceland’s airspace (provided by NBC News)

$

NATO deploys F-35 fighters jets for the first time to police Iceland’s airspace

Falling production costs will open up additional international sales opportunities for the F-35, Ken Possenriede, chief financial officer for Bethesda, Maryland-based Lockheed Martin, said during the company’s Oct. 22 earnings call. Lockheed is on track to hit the $80 million target in production lot 13, he said, about the middle of the multiyear contract.

Lockheed rose as much as 1.3% to $375.45 Monday after Bloomberg News reported that the so-called block buy talks were concluded. The stock had advanced 42% this year through Friday, double the gain of the S&P 500.

The latest agreement brings to about 978 the number of U.S. and allied jets on contract out of a planned total of at least 3,100. The jet is still months away from the completion of rigorous combat testing against the toughest Russian and Chinese threats.

Officials disclosed earlier this month that a formal “full-rate” production decision would be delayed as much as 13 months until the tests are complete, using a high-fidelity simulator that’s still not running.

The F-35 has faced years of delays and cost overruns. The long-term cost of operating and supporting the fleet of fighters over more than six decades has increased to $1.196 trillion, according to the Pentagon’s latest cost assessment of major projects.

This price figure don't integrate all the developpment costs added during the long road to FOC.

just a fact : 13 years after first pre serial flight, the F35 is only IOC (and a political IOC). Far from beeing FOC...
And $95 million for rafale was with all these?

And $95 million for rafale was with all these?
The Dassault habit is "on time, on spec, on delay".
The Rafale program, after the postponement induced by the collapse or USSR, never slipped.
All the block (F1, F2.1, F2.2, F3.1, F3.2, F3.3, F3R) were all on time, on spec, within budget.
The 95 € million price is the real and all inclusive price.

The Dassault habit is "on time, on spec, on delay".
The Rafale program, after the postponement induced by the collapse or USSR, never slipped.
All the block (F1, F2.1, F2.2, F3.1, F3.2, F3.3, F3R) were all on time, on spec, within budget.
The 95 € million price is the real and all inclusive price.
Strange, £7.87bn was the price for 36 'fales.

Strange, £7.87bn was the price for 36 'fales.
price of the plane alone in one hand,
price for a system of plane+weapons+spares for a couples of years+bases accomodations+training+indian specific improvements + ... on the other.

the price was never in £. £ is a falling currency,

No way of knowing how much was and wasn't included. F-35 is more like $80m for the plane alone.