GTRE Kaveri Engine

Thanks for the info . But do you have any additional info on it ? The write up mentions they'd be coming up with a TD in 18 months .
Project Ganga is progressing well. What we need is help for ceramics based turbine technology. The problem of afterburner of Kaveri were resolved by extending it further by about 40 cms for gas flow stabilisation. that removed that strange sound when afterburner was lit up. next step is to increase the pressure ratio to 30 from present 21. Even with a modest 27 ratio, this engine will outperform Ej200 and M88 by large margins in terms of thrust and efficiency. EJ2XX third gen engine is supposed to hit a dry thrust of 78KN while kaveri can do it in its present form with very little help from Safran.

The data sheet i posted very much supports the posts of Aashish when he stated that Safran has concluded that Kaveri can hit above 75KN dry and 110Kn wet thrust with modification to core. The present core is capable of withstanding temp upto about 1450*C and to hit 76KN we need a core which can withstand 1650*C temp. third generation SCBs should be able to hit these values and to go beyound we will need ceramics core.
The other Project Ganga to create an engine of 132KN thrust and initial 125KN thrust is probably the engine being developed with help from RR. If you guys recollect, about an year back when the FM of Britain came to India, he had announced a tie up for a JV to develop the most powerful engine which was supposed to be completed in 18 months time.
the present problems of kaveri have been resolved completely in house by GTRE. Safran has only done the audit to certify it. Anykind of tech help from Safran is yet to come. GTRE is now very confident of scaling up or down the engine size for a fixed core but it has no expertise in scaling up or down the core to suit thrust requirements and this is the field they have asked safran for help.

The thing with the British is, it's difficult to believe anything they say.

Project Ganga is also our own stuff. At best, these companies only provide design consultancy. If we are to expect any real technology, it can come only from France or Russia because we have signed up very big projects with them.

Project Ganga is also our own stuff. At best, these companies only provide design consultancy. If we are to expect any real technology, it can come only from France or Russia because we have signed up very big projects with them.
As I told you, we are expecting to learn from French how to scale up an engine core. Once we do that, we should be in a position to design any engine of our choice.

• Informative
Reactions: _Anonymous_
The data sheet i posted very much supports the posts of Aashish when he stated that Safran has concluded that Kaveri can hit above 75KN dry and 110Kn wet thrust with modification to core. The present core is capable of withstanding temp upto about 1450*C and to hit 76KN we need a core which can withstand 1650*C temp. third generation SCBs should be able to hit these values and to go beyound we will need ceramics core.
The other Project Ganga to create an engine of 132KN thrust and initial 125KN thrust is probably the engine being developed with help from RR. If you guys recollect, about an year back when the FM of Britain came to India, he had announced a tie up for a JV to develop the most powerful engine which was supposed to be completed in 18 months time.
the present problems of kaveri have been resolved completely in house by GTRE. Safran has only done the audit to certify it. Anykind of tech help from Safran is yet to come. GTRE is now very confident of scaling up or down the engine size for a fixed core but it has no expertise in scaling up or down the core to suit thrust requirements and this is the field they have asked safran for help.

If I am right, current Kaveri uses 2nd generation DS as India has rhenium deficit to make 2nd or 3rd generation SCB which will cause problem during mass production. 2nd generation DS is 70 celsius less TET than 3rd generation SCB. EJ200 uses 2nd generation SCB and Indian DS is 30 celsius TET less than that. TET of EJ200 is 1800K and a TET of over 1750K is achieved in Kaveri.

I don't think we need SCB blades for 1650 celsius. 1650 celsius is non achievable except by design modification to make special engine with counter rotation turbine or some other new technology. The current maximum for these type of engine stands at 1840K with 3rd generation SCB. Since this much power itself is vastly more, it is sufficient to have 1750-1770K for most practical purpose. The only disadvantage will be in engine life but the ability to mass manufacture without rhenium is more important. Even engines like EJ200 is underpowered to 90kN despite its ability to handle upto 108kN to increase their life. India can sacrifice this additional life for the sake of self reliance and mass manufacture ability.

Can you tell me what is the use of 125kN engine? India already makes Al31F from raw materials. Why make another 125kN engine? AMCA is 25ton and does not need 2x125kN engines

If I am right, current Kaveri uses 2nd generation DS as India has rhenium deficit to make 2nd or 3rd generation SCB which will cause problem during mass production. 2nd generation DS is 70 celsius less TET than 3rd generation SCB. EJ200 uses 2nd generation SCB and Indian DS is 30 celsius TET less than that. TET of EJ200 is 1800K and a TET of over 1750K is achieved in Kaveri.

I don't think we need SCB blades for 1650 celsius. 1650 celsius is non achievable except by design modification to make special engine with counter rotation turbine or some other new technology. The current maximum for these type of engine stands at 1840K with 3rd generation SCB. Since this much power itself is vastly more, it is sufficient to have 1750-1770K for most practical purpose. The only disadvantage will be in engine life but the ability to mass manufacture without rhenium is more important. Even engines like EJ200 is underpowered to 90kN despite its ability to handle upto 108kN to increase their life. India can sacrifice this additional life for the sake of self reliance and mass manufacture ability.

Can you tell me what is the use of 125kN engine? India already makes Al31F from raw materials. Why make another 125kN engine? AMCA is 25ton and does not need 2x125kN engines
You can easily hit 1700*C without counter rotating turbines. IHI XF5-1 has 1600*C TET and it does not have counter rotating turbines. XF9 has counter rotating turbines as it is designed for 1800*c TET or 2073*K TET. you can hit 1450*C with normal alloys also.

You can easily hit 1700*C without counter rotating turbines. IHI XF5-1 has 1600*C TET and it does not have counter rotating turbines. XF9 has counter rotating turbines as it is designed for 1800*c TET or 2073*K TET. you can hit 1450*C with normal alloys also.
The 1600 celsius XF35 engine is only in development. Once it is developed, we can see. As of now, none can go till 1650 celsius. 1580 celsius is the maximum with 3rd gen SCB. Subtract 70-80 celsius for 2nd generation DS (directionally soldified) which is about 1500 celsius.

Also, ceramic or CMC turbine is a pipe dream. CMC is only usable in LPT as of now. HPT cant use ceramics

Can you elaborate on what's Project Ganga and where would the engine they develop go ?

The 1600 celsius XF35 engine is only in development.
The engine went thru full certification and has also flown to a height of 40k feet at supersonic speeds in super cruise. This engine is not in development but they will now modify it with tech from XF9. In fact even XF9 may not go into production and remain an engine without an airframe.

Can you elaborate on what's Project Ganga and where would the engine they develop go ?

It's not an official name AFAIK. It's just a family of new engines and will take more than a decade to develop. It will go into programs that will come up after 2030. It can be used on bigger ships, modernised AMCA, UAVs/UCAVs etc.

I wouldn't really be bothered about it right now. Our immediate goal is modernising the Kaveri.

Sorry to ask again ..

Mk1A - Engine is not ordered / decided ?
Mk2 - GE414 initial order has been placed and arrived
AMCA - will have GE 414 for development and mated to Kaveri in like 2030 ...?

Something is not adding up.
Kaveri K10 is what Kaveri in its present state will become. It will be used as the second engine for MK1A and mainline engine for MK2. The present engine is called K8 and being refined to K9 status with Safran help as first stage of JV or offsets. the number after K is the thrust value in 10s of KNs which means that K8=80KN total thrust.
AMCA will have Project Ganga Engine with 125KN thrust.

Kaveri K10 is what Kaveri in its present state will become. It will be used as the second engine for MK1A and mainline engine for MK2. The present engine is called K8 and being refined to K9 status with Safran help as first stage of JV or offsets. the number after K is the thrust value in 10s of KNs which means that K8=80KN total thrust.

So can I take K9 will be the first engine of Mk1A ?

Sorry to ask again ..

Mk1A - Engine is not ordered / decided ?

There's time to order it. The first Mk1A is expected only in 2023. So the orders have to go in by 2020. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Kaveri option, but I think it's going to be the F404.

Mk2 - GE414 initial order has been placed and arrived

Very, very far away. We have enough for development of Mk2, we have ordered 8 to date. The production variant is necessary after 2025. There is some hope for Kaveri.

AMCA - will have GE 414 for development and mated to Kaveri in like 2030 ...?

Something is not adding up.

F414 will be for the 2 TDs and 1 or 2 prototypes. The definitive engine will be indigenous.

AMCA having 2x125kN engine for 25 ton weight class will make it too overpowered and capable of travelling in 3Mach speed! I don't agree that 125kN one will be used in AMCA.

Safran is just auditing and not making any engine. I don't understand why you keep changing your words. You yourself agreed that safran is auditing and not making engines for India but now you say another thing.

View attachment 2932

whatsapp-image-2018-07-28-at-6-38-09-pm-jpeg.2932

Above engine is K9 specs ? And going to be purely R & D engine ?