India Anti-Satellite (ASAT) Missile Developments

This isn't a failed test. It was most likely an ASAT test with an electronically simulated target. And it's likely the second stage was not used to make the actual kill.

Former DRDO chief takes on Shivshankar Menon for his comments on A-SAT testing
"At that time, we had said that we are going to do two experiments, one with electronically simulated satellite trajectory and launching an interceptor against that to avoid debris in the environment. On the success of this, we had planned to do a test with the real satellite trajectory"; he had stated.

There was apparently a PDV test on the 12th.
Interceptor missile flight tested
You were correct. It was an electronic simulated target.

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET and Gautam
Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-26-59.png

IIR Seeker
Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-27-49.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-27-52.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-27-54.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-27-56.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-28-00.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-28-03.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-28-06.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-06 18-28-10.png

@Parthu @randomradio @Milspec @nair @BlackOpsIndia @Falcon @NKVD @Gautam @vstol Jockey @Star Wars @DivineHeretic @kurup @ni8mare @rockstarIN @Himanshu

Notice the relative velocity. 10.45 KM/sec equals Mach 30.466. So what is the re-entry velocity of ICBMs again ?
The re-entry speed is much lower about 23-25k/hr. But the warhead still has the heat shiled on it and that makes it a big target. Plus the ICBMs rarely go above 500kms in trajectory. So an interceptor based on ASAT should be about 1/4th the size and weight.

The re-entry speed is much lower about 23-25k/hr.
Eh..........:unsure:. 23-25 KM/hour ?? Autos go faster than that:confused:. Aren't RV supposed to go faster under the influence of gravity ?
So an interceptor based on ASAT should be about 1/4th the size and weight.
So in other words we can make a compact version of BMD as the phase-2 of the program advances. Maybe get our very own AEGIS system, the building blocks are already there I believe.

Eh..........:unsure:. 23-25 KM/hour ?? Autos go faster than that:confused:. Aren't RV supposed to go faster under the influence of gravity ?
If you faster than that in LEO, you will keep rotating around earth. You deorbit by reducing your speed so that earth gravity can pull you in. The re-entry speed of space shuttle used to be in this region.

So in other words we can make a compact version of BMD as the phase-2 of the program advances. Maybe get our very own AEGIS system, the building blocks are already there I believe.
Yes we now have complete tech for such systems.

I wish we are able to convert its IIR seeker to an IRST with 200km range.
Sir, I am not sure of this but I believe the reason why the IIR seeker seems to have that ridiculous range is because it is meant to operate in space. In space ambient environment is cooler and thus provides for a high contrast to any thermal/infrared signature. Where as an IRST on a Su-30MKI is going to work in a much heated environment, thus limiting range. What is the range of the current IRST on the MKI ?

Sir, I am not sure of this but I believe the reason why the IIR seeker seems to have that ridiculous range is because it is meant to operate in space. In space ambient environment is cooler and thus provides for a high contrast to any thermal/infrared signature. Where as an IRST on a Su-30MKI is going to work in a much heated environment, thus limiting range. What is the range of the current IRST on the MKI ?
<200km :p