Indian Air Force : Updates & Discussions

• Thread starter Thread starter Tarun
  • Start date Start date
Weapons storage point to come up near Sulur air base

Published November 20, 2019
1574356608604.png

The Indian Air Force (IAF), which has an air base in Sulur, has decided to set up a ‘weapon storage point’ nearby and plans to construct a parallel taxi way at the base. The facility would help the IAF store strategic weapons, including missiles, in Sulur and it would be easy to move these during war across southern India.

The Ministry of Defence has approached the state government to acquire 700 acres of land near the Sulur air base for this. The district administration has sent details of the land to be acquired to the state government. It is awaiting administrative sanction, said a source. Once the state government grants administrative sanction, an officer will be appointed exclusively to acquire land. The Union government will bear the compensation to be given to land owners.

The source said the revenue department has to land from private people in at least five villages, including Kalangal, Kangeyampalayam and Appanaickenpatti. The Ministry of Defence and the state government have been corresponding for the past few years. There is no major weapon storage point in the Southern Air Command that covers the entire Bay of Bengal up to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. If the facility is set up near the Sulur air base, moving weapons across the region will be easy.

The source said the Ministry of Defence had decided to speed up the project to face challenges looming in the horizon. With Gotabaya Rajapaksa, whose support for China is known, in the saddle in Sri Lanka, it would be prudent for India to focus on the Southern Air Command, particularly the Bay of Bengal. It is only in the initial stage, revenue department officials told TOI. “If the Ministry of Defence asks us to speed up the land acquisition, the state government would do so,” said a source from the revenue department.

When contacted, Dhanya Sanal K, public relations officer of Defence Southern Command, said such details cannot be revealed by the department.

Weapons storage point to come up near Sulur air base | Coimbatore News - Times of India

Russian Air Force, Russian Navy and Russian Army begin tri-services INDRA-2019 exercises with India.

This time around, RuAF is bringing around 40 airplanes including 15 fighters to India.

ELgp4OZU8AAUTzc.jpg

Reactions: Gautam
Do we really have them? If yes, then how many??

Lol. That picture is of a TU-22KD parked at the Poltava Museum of Long-Range and Strategic Aviation in Poltava, Ukraine. This aircraft is a different TU-22 known as the "Blinder" to NATO.

Same aircraft from a different angle - middle-left.

%D0%95%D0%BA%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%B8%D1%86%D1%96%D1%8F_%D0%BB%D1%96%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BA%D1%96%D0%B2_%D0%94%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8C%D0%BE%D1%97_%D0%B0%D0%B2%D1%96%D0%B0%D1%86%D1%96%D1%97_%D1%83_%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B2%D1%96.png

Poltava-Banner2.jpg

%D0%A2%D1%83%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B2_%D0%A2%D1%83-22_%2C_%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B0-4_RP2946.jpg

The TU-22m3 "Backfire" is this aircraft.

Tupolev_Tu-22M-3_taking_off_from_Soltsy-2.jpg

tu-22m3.jpg

7p04arumj0031.png

Cool aircraft... highly doubt India has any. We intercept them all the time as they fly through the Norwegian and Barents Seas during mock bombing raids. Pics taken by an RNoAF F-16.

Tu-22.jpg

Tu-22-missile.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Janardan Shukla
Cool aircraft... highly doubt India has any. We intercept them all the time as they fly through the Norwegian and Barents Seas during mock bombing raids. Pics taken by an RNoAF F-16.
Thanks for the info.
Twitter is a bad place I guess.
Its intentional, not a mistake. Have you missed the revolution in satirical OSINT we've been having on Twitter recently ? Check the Funny stuff thread, I've posted quite a few of them.

Reactions: Janardan Shukla
Lol. That picture is of a TU-22KD parked at the Poltava Museum of Long-Range and Strategic Aviation in Poltava, Ukraine. This aircraft is a different TU-22 known as the "Blinder" to NATO.

Same aircraft from a different angle - middle-left.

%D0%95%D0%BA%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%B8%D1%86%D1%96%D1%8F_%D0%BB%D1%96%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BA%D1%96%D0%B2_%D0%94%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8C%D0%BE%D1%97_%D0%B0%D0%B2%D1%96%D0%B0%D1%86%D1%96%D1%97_%D1%83_%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B2%D1%96.png

Poltava-Banner2.jpg

%D0%A2%D1%83%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B2_%D0%A2%D1%83-22_%2C_%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B0-4_RP2946.jpg

The TU-22m3 "Backfire" is this aircraft.

Tupolev_Tu-22M-3_taking_off_from_Soltsy-2.jpg

tu-22m3.jpg

7p04arumj0031.png

Tu-22.jpg

Tu-22-missile.jpg
My net connection was bad henc the loading of pics took some time.
Really delightful pics.
Its intentional, not a mistake. Have you missed the revolution in satirical OSINT we've been having on Twitter recently ? Check the Funny stuff thread, I've posted quite a few of them.
Ohh, so that was the case. Since I don't follow that particular handle hence missed it. My bad.

@randomradio

Do we need Dassault Falcon EW aircraft

They are making a new one for French Air Force

Dassault and Thales Awarded Archange Contract

The first time I read this article, I wanted to ask @Picdelamirand-oil if the French will be open to offer this aircraft without downgrades to India. Of course, I don't think that's going to happen.

We have a program for 9 such aircraft, 2 of them for SIGINT. So maybe the French will take part once a tender is released.

Last edited:
Reactions: STEPHEN COHEN
The first time I read this article, I wanted to ask @Picdelamirand-oil if the French will be open to offer this aircraft without downgrades to India. Of course, I don't think that's going to happen.

We have a program for 9 such aircraft, 2 of them for SIGINT. So maybe the French will take part once a tender is released.

How do you rate the PAF Dassault Falcon 20 plane , which was part of Feb 27

By the way do we have such capability

If we can make Embraer AWACS , then
Why cannot we make this type of Plane