Indian Air Force : Updates & Discussions

• Thread starter Thread starter Tarun
  • Start date Start date
How do you rate the PAF Dassault Falcon 20 plane , which was part of Feb 27

Serving since the late 80s, and upgraded 10 years ago, but it should be very good. It still uses old hardware, like blade antennas and such. So it looks like PAF should bring in more upgrades or buy new aircraft.

By the way do we have such capability

When it comes to ELINT and SIGINT, of course, we do. Far better than what they operate, and in more numbers. They are under the control of RAW. We acquired 2 Global 5000s to add to our fleet only 5 years ago.

India's New Special Mission Global 5000s in Service - tangentlink.com

IAF now wants some aircraft with the ability to jam communications as well.

Take what you can from this article.
https://www.livefistdefence.com/201...vives-electronic-snooper-jet-requirement.html

Before all this, IAF used to operate Canberras and Avros in this role. Then RAW (ARC) took over, and they now operate 2 Learjet 29A, 3 Gulfstream III and 2 Global 5000. There's also 2 Boeing 707s. There may also be other aircraft that we do not really know of. For example, remember the old Mig-25?

I am only referring to specialized aircraft for this role and not AWACS, MMAs and other aircraft, including fighter jets and helicopters, modified for this role.

NTRO also wants some aircraft of this type.

If we can make Embraer AWACS , then
Why cannot we make this type of Plane

Dunno if DRDO actually has plans of making operational whatever they have. My guess is it's all WIP.

Also they must be using up all their resources on the harder and bigger projects like AWACS, ISTAR and MMA.

Reactions: STEPHEN COHEN
Serving since the late 80s, and upgraded 10 years ago, but it should be very good. It still uses old hardware, like blade antennas and such. So it looks like PAF should bring in more upgrades or buy new aircraft.

When it comes to ELINT and SIGINT, of course, we do. Far better than what they operate, and in more numbers. They are under the control of RAW. We acquired 2 Global 5000s to add to our fleet only 5 years ago.

India's New Special Mission Global 5000s in Service - tangentlink.com

IAF now wants some aircraft with the ability to jam communications as well.

Take what you can from this article.
https://www.livefistdefence.com/201...vives-electronic-snooper-jet-requirement.html

Before all this, IAF used to operate Canberras and Avros in this role. Then RAW (ARC) took over, and they now operate 2 Learjet 29A, 3 Gulfstream III and 2 Global 5000. There's also 2 Boeing 707s. There may also be other aircraft that we do not really know of. For example, remember the old Mig-25?

I am only referring to specialized aircraft for this role and not AWACS, MMAs and other aircraft, including fighter jets and helicopters, modified for this role.

NTRO also wants some aircraft of this type.

Dunno if DRDO actually has plans of making operational whatever they have. My guess is it's all WIP.

Also they must be using up all their resources on the harder and bigger projects like AWACS, ISTAR and MMA.
ISTAR looks a much promising thing.......I wonder if we can have one for each IBG.

ISTAR looks a much promising thing.......I wonder if we can have one for each IBG.

That's not possible. ISTAR is operated by IAF. It's like P-8I, Phalcon etc.

The American JSTAR.
450px-E-8_JSTARS_18061F484519-913.jpg

You would need a handful for an entire theatre command.

This is getting crazier by the Day
Given a chance i would have swapped su 30 with f 15 ex ,but 3 decades spent in tactics development ,logistic nightmare etc is too much .
Any day sheer reputation of f15 overwhelm the balance in its favor.But what i am seeing is indian and french plane will make up the IAF inventory now with may be a few squadron of usa built ones also.

since we have almost removed all the vanilla of migs ranging from 21 to 27 and only their most top of the line ie. mig 29 will operate for a few decade and similar is the case with su 30 apart from it i do not forsee any russian fighter on the horizon.Days of russian dominance in IAF is over

Given a chance i would have swapped su 30 with f 15 ex ,but 3 decades spent in tactics development ,logistic nightmare etc is too much .
Any day sheer reputation of f15 overwhelm the balance in its favor.But what i am seeing is indian and french plane will make up the IAF inventory now with may be a few squadron of usa built ones also.

since we have almost removed all the vanilla of migs ranging from 21 to 27 and only their most top of the line ie. mig 29 will operate for a few decade and similar is the case with su 30 apart from it i do not forsee any russian fighter on the horizon.Days of russian dominance in IAF is over

Su 30 will remain till 2050

MIG 21 Bison will remain for atleast 5 more years , MIG 29 , Mirage 2000 and Jaguar -- All 3 for at least 15 years

Rafales and Tejas are the new planes coming in

Fifth Feneration is a big Question mark

The problem is How will we Turn Down US
without damaging bilateral relations

Su 30 will remain till 2050

MIG 21 Bison will remain for atleast 5 more years , MIG 29 , Mirage 2000 and Jaguar -- All 3 for at least 15 years

Rafales and Tejas are the new planes coming in

Fifth Feneration is a big Question mark

The problem is How will we Turn Down US
without damaging bilateral relations
yes we have to do that , for sure russian days are over ,maybe by the time AMCA becomes late or threat from china increases ,baki gets their hand on fc 31 then maybe for sure we will get f 35 rather than pakfa i dont see any role for pakfa (may be all these statement regarding we will see once you induct it into your force is to assuage their feeling)

maybe we will purchase 36 more rafales , hand over either to boeing or lockheed one contract for sure ,That also paves the way for f35 in future or who knows if lockheed offers F35 to india ( if modi massage trump properly) . certainly possibly If usa saw itself having more equity in indian strength

F15 ex just a counter bid to f21 LM just to screw them am not sure IAF or Boeing really don't want this to happen becoz F15ex cutting edge which most of tech will be export controlled and can't do full TOT hence Gov don't opt for this deal also French and Russian lobbies try their best to stop this deal,
The most practical things going to happen ( my assumptions)

Hence these high pace fighter biding shows Gov going to make final decision on marca 2.0, so every one wants a pice of pie , Sweden's understand that that can't have pak and India as costumers simultaneously and do all good deals, also our tot terms after sales terms more than they can chew,that's why Saab now passive , hence IAF really like move away from ruski birds Russians also not pushing hard insted they try highly discounted 5th gen and ugarde to su30 where they make more cash on spare and other after sales accessories, now Americans they found out India not just a strategic allies it's a kryptonite against chines expansion's so uncle Sam consider to mak India first counter of defence against Chinese ( becoz of don't bring war on home policies ) , this might triggered all defence manufactuers in US to offer all their cuting edge toys to us( offcourse their toys comes with strings attached and control's) and final when world run around IAF own seetha sowyamvaram aka MMRCA French play smart they sit back and wacth the show becoz in end IAF go for additional 30-36 Raffles anyway becoz Rafael's are new m2k for them and they don't want to repeat the history they just waiting to settle down the dusts of papu boys allegations, and order more Rafael and fill the gap left with mk1a , when mk2 come least order 110 ( hal maruth 2.0 SGA ) to say we are penut percentage sowdeshi, so if I look in to future of IAF it going to be same as past and present - always be the second best, when world adopts 6th gen our amca will be in ioc2 and I may enjoying my 61st birthday

PS: no hard feelings guys am feedup with IAF top brass mentality Angersi mal acha hamara mal bacha..

Last edited: