Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

1727633674153.png

1727633690490.png

1727633727266.png

1727633738047.png

1727633746282.png

That puts the Astra Mk1 in the same weight class as the R-77.
R-77(basic RVV-AE) is 3.6m long, 200mm in diameter and 175kgs weight. Astra MK1 is still 5 kgs lighter and has way more range than it(110kms vs 50-80kms).

Better comparison would be R-77-1(RVV-SD). It has 3.71m length, 200m in diameter and weighs whooping 20kgs more(at 190kgs) vs 170kgs Astra MK1. Both have same claimed ranged of 110kms.

So we've achieved equal range of a far heavier missile in a comparatively lighter/slimmer package(good for high-G & kinematic performance). That in itself makes Astra far more capable and state-of-the-art.

Also AIM-120D3 is substantially heavier than AIM-120A which weighed only 153kgs. AIM-120D3 is a smaller missile than Astra MK1(in-terms of length: 3.6m vs 3.84m) and I have seen its "estimated" weight(real is classified) at anything from 161 to 170kgs.

Chinese PL-12A at 200kgs is also much heavier than Astra MK1 for a claimed 80-100kms range.

I think many won't be happy with me saying this, but "in my opinion" Astra MK1 is the best BVR single-pulse radar guided missile currently available anywhere in the world. Only competition is AIM-120D as it's the ultimate AMRAAM. Rest, I've absolutely no doubt.

I think many won't be happy with me saying this, but "in my opinion" Astra MK1 is the best BVR single-pulse radar guided missile currently available anywhere in the world. Only competition is AIM-120D as it's the ultimate AMRAAM. Rest, I've absolutely no doubt.

The Astra Mk1 would certainly rank among the best in the business. The fact that it can receive third-party guidance updates opens up interesting possibilities for the IAF.

It has a low launch signature which, till date, was the preserve of Western manufacturers like Germany' Diehl, Raytheon and others.

It has also got unspecified ECCM which probably includes some kind of Home on Jam (HoJ) capability. Composite radome too.

I think the benchmark to meet would be the Isreali I-Derby with its software defined seeker, low launch weight (can be fired from wingtip rails) and dual pulse motor, all in a 118 kg frame.

Whether it's the Barak-8 or the Derby, Isreal has perfected low launch weight, long range missile D&D into something of a black art. (The Americans are, of course, the OG). Some of it may be pure marketing but the difference compared to its closest competitors is stark.

It's good that the DRDO has been working with them on MRSAM and other things, we should be able to glean enough info.

We should also make the mid-body fins on Astra and its derivatives (including the Rudram family) foldable for internal carriage.

Last edited:
The Astra Mk1 would certainly rank among the best in the business. The fact that it can receive third-party guidance updates opens up interesting possibilities for the IAF.

It has a low launch signature which, till date, was the preserve of Western manufacturers like Germany' Diehl, Raytheon and others.

It has also got unspecified ECCM which probably includes some kind of Home on Jam (HoJ) capability. Composite radome too.
Correct👍
I think the benchmark to meet would be the Isreali I-Derby with its software defined seeker, low launch weight (can be fired from wingtip rails) and dual pulse motor, all in a 118 kg frame.
I-Derby ER's competition is not Astra MK1 though as the former is a dual pulse missile. 118kgs is weight of I-Derby(ER would be few kgs more heavy) but its range is much less than Astra MK1. Having a long pole matters in BVR fight.

I-Derby ER has combined solid-state RF seeker with a proximity fuse, thereby cramming more fuel and increased range. But Astra MK2 would easily still have far more range than it.
Whether it's the Barak-8 or the Derby, Isreal has perfected low launch weight, long range missile D&D into something of a black art. (The Americans are, of course, the OG). Some of it may be pure marketing but the difference compared to its closest competitors is stark.

It's good that the DRDO has been working with them on MRSAM and other things, we should be able to glean enough info.

We should also make the mid-body fins on Astra and its derivatives (including the Rudram family) foldable for internal carriage.
I-Derby/ER is a physically small missile when compared with Astra series. For its size, Astra's weight is also very good.

Reactions: Speedster1
After trials completed at Leh, now the guided pinaka trial is to happen at Pokhran this month 21st to 31st. After this trial in PFFR , next is likely in Balasore and later also in 2 other field firing ranges, total 5 set of field trials are done. These works are pretty rigorous esp for the support crews from industries involved. Trials are done in beaten desert tracks as army selects. I remember one mechanic telling me how he lost good 14-15kg weight after such a campaign that lasted well over 2 weeks that time. Kinda shows just how tough the army guys are really.

1727891685684.png

Airforce wants to put a powered booster, probably a micro-turbo engine, on top of the TARA REK for HSLD-250:
1728359362200.png

The TARA kit extends the range of the HSLD-250 to 150-180 km. A powered booster will give it an additional 150+ km range. Launched from the right altitude this modified bomb should have a range around 330-350 km.

This bomb will be the Indian counterpart to the American P-JDAM:
1728359651626.png

The Americans are expecting to get a range of ~300 miles (480 km) with their 500lb (225 kg) bomb. We are expecting ~330-350 km with a 250 kg bomb.

The P-JDAM is powered by TDI-J85 turbojet engine which produces 200 lbf (890 N) of thrust:
1728360182398.png

We can use Kalyani KCTI-120. It's a bit more powerful than the TDI-J85 (1177 N), it is also a bit heavier:
1728360976418.png

1728361098852.png

This engine is under testing for a year now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mopr_6ErIPk

As for the EOIR seeker, JSR has an agreement with BEL for that. Overall, this looks like a doable project. All components needed exists in the country.

Can't wait to see how the Airforce will screw this up.

The TARA kit extends the range of the HSLD-250 to 150-180 km. A powered booster will give it an additional 150+ km range. Launched from the right altitude this modified bomb should have a range around 330-350 km.
This is great news. Imo, the SAAW is another excellent candidate for conversion into a mini cruise missile. It's Israeli cousin - Spice 250- already has a TJ powered version while retaining the same form factor.