Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Can that missile scale to the XRSAM range and performance?
Scale as in just increase the length and no change in design ? Scaling up a missile to increase its performance works with in a certain limit. Beyond that limit it becomes drastically inefficient & impractical product. If the Barak-8 ER was scaled up we could possibly get around 180-190 km at the very best, but we can't take it to around 350-360 km without changing the design.
Unrelated though, for a moment i thought Pulse Det Engine got out of R&D - concept stage to something concrete.
DRDL has a few working prototypes of it. We don't know if it will be used for the Astra Mk-2 or if we will continue with the dual pulse motor.

Reactions: vingensys

The blue coloured rear section of XRSAM booster is using modified AAD rear section along with the close coupled moving fins and TVC vanes, not present in barak 8 ER

xrsa.jpg

xrboo.jpg

kl.JPEG

jkk.JPEG

jj.JPEG

I was thinking this to be XRSAM

Launcher is 6 celled.

Presence of long chord wings ( which is used to implement high maneuverability ) and immediately followed by folding short fins as control surfaces for additional maneuverability / controllability , interestingly a large section of the immediate rear section is bare of any control surfaces. Quite intriguing design.

Now since it is not XRSAM which missile is this damm

Is it the land version of the naval Air defense missile using hot launch
Presence of plume deflector in the pics indicates that it would require hot launch facilities for naval version

Last edited:
Reactions: Chain Smoker
Only difference is duel pulse motor. how long and heavier can it be?. Lets take example of NGARM which is already tested and has a duel pulse motor. Its on the same airframe design as Astra. Maybe a bit longer.

NGARM-Gif GIF | Gfycat

ngarm-india.jpg

Nothing is too big to engage a fighter. Look at what we are getting from Russia.

Akash NG maybe. :censored:

View attachment 12171

Akash ng fins are located mid body unless they moved it to fore section for XRSAM.

Astra mk2 and akash ng use same propulsion dual pulse motor

Only fin configuration different other than avionics / lrus

The blue coloured rear section of XRSAM booster is using modified AAD rear section along with the close coupled moving fins and TVC vanes, not present in barak 8 ER

View attachment 12204

View attachment 12205
Of course, it cannot be identical when it claims a 100+ Km additional range. But there is a significant resemblance.

If this is an entirely new missile. Then, the missile without booster will be another MR SAM with 100+ km range.

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET
Looks like MSM has picked up the news of XR SAM. The only new information is this line :

The XRSAM air missile weapon will have a range of 350km and will also come in canister-based, transportable truck-based launcher system.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation will begin trials in the next three years.

Source : DRDO reveals 350km XRSAM missile details | Hyderabad News - Times of India

Looking at how quickly QRSAM came about, 3 years doesn't look impossible. Wasn't there a ASTRA based VL-SAM for the Navy wonder what happened to that ?

Oh and @hellbent
If the DRDO Annual paper was right about the SMART having a 50-650 km range(I thought it was a typo) and if you think the recently revealed STAR is a variant of the LRCM, what are the chances the SMART will be Shyena torpedo mounted on the STAR ? The LRCM was stated to have 600+ km range and the SMART is also stated to have similar ranges. Also if the STAR is Surface to Air Target, I wonder if it can be used as a SAM. There are many advantages to having one common airframe of multiple roles, especially for the navy.

Of course, it cannot be identical when it claims a 100+ Km additional range. But there is a significant resemblance.

If this is an entirely new missile. Then, the missile without booster will be another MR SAM with 100+ km range.

Astra MK2 range ~ 120 - 150 km

Looks like MSM has picked up the news of XR SAM. The only new information is this line :

Source : DRDO reveals 350km XRSAM missile details | Hyderabad News - Times of India

Looking at how quickly QRSAM came about, 3 years doesn't look impossible. Wasn't there a ASTRA based VL-SAM for the Navy wonder what happened to that ?

Oh and @hellbent
If the DRDO Annual paper was right about the SMART having a 50-650 km range(I thought it was a typo) and if you think the recently revealed STAR is a variant of the LRCM, what are the chances the SMART will be Shyena torpedo mounted on the STAR ? The LRCM was stated to have 600+ km range and the SMART is also stated to have similar ranges. Also if the STAR is Surface to Air Target, I wonder if it can be used as a SAM. There are many advantages to having one common airframe of multiple roles, especially for the navy.

In df.i drdo thread i posted info navy SRSAM = VLSAM astra plus repeat of 50-650 km range of smart in latest MoD release. Can't be a mistake now .

In smart Torpedo carried will be a lightweight torpedo so only option tal and there is a upgrade program going on.

I don't know if smart is based on star , so all options open , i feel at supersonic speeds there will be need of a nose mounted retro braking thrusters to reduce Speed of missile for safe ejection of torpedo.

If star can be employed as Sam i cant say , there are many factors which decides feasibility

Oh and @hellbent

In df.i drdo thread i posted info navy SRSAM = VLSAM astra plus repeat of 50-650 km range of smart in latest MoD release. Can't be a mistake now .

In smart Torpedo carried will be a lightweight torpedo so only option tal and there is a upgrade program going on.

I don't know if smart is based on star , so all options open , i feel at supersonic speeds there will be need of a nose mounted retro braking thrusters to reduce Speed of missile for safe ejection of torpedo.

If star can be employed as Sam i cant say , there are many factors which decides feasibility

Looks like somebody picked up on our conversation : SMART Torpedo: India’s Next Big thing after BrahMos AshM in Naval Warfare – Indian Defence Research Wing

@Ashwin OSINT is such a flourishing business in India right now. We should start our own section for rumour mil. Who knows it might be very profitable. ;)

@_Anonymous_ @randomradio can be our star writers. I'll let you watermark the photos. What say ?

Looks like somebody picked up on our conversation : SMART Torpedo: India’s Next Big thing after BrahMos AshM in Naval Warfare – Indian Defence Research Wing

@Ashwin OSINT is such a flourishing business in India right now. We should start our own section for rumour mil. Who knows it might be very profitable. ;)

@_Anonymous_ @randomradio can be our star writers. I'll let you watermark the photos. What say ?

Does.this.also mean that we can soon have
A Long Range Cruise Missile , 600 km range
For Land Targets

Randomradio is good at writing plus he has an active imagination. Eshwin won't even be able to sell Marxism in Kerala. You need somebody more dynamic who promises you the future is great.Like Modi does. Like randomradio still does.When he writes we will suddenly move in to the fast lane with big ticket purchases from 2022 onwards. And most newbies seem thrilled & convinced.Yes , both at the same time.its possible , okay.My heart still skips a few heartbeats as I type this remembering the magic number.yes , you've got it right.2022.you can be in charge of the watermark biz.