Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Can't comment on timelines or need. But if engineering designs are out along with dimensions, it means design phase is over and prototype phase has begun. I don't think it will take 5 years before we see this and its variants flying. We are pretty good with missiles. Services can acquire them when the feel like it, all acquisitions run late anyway. The missile development need not be effected by it.

But I think the Nirbhay's future variants would be given priority over this.
STAR will fly in a few years. Was talking about newer applications.

All future missiles are being cannisterized, including the future variant of Akash. I agree there is no need for it in target missiles but the LFRJ will go the into multiple missiles which will need cannisterizing. We have to think about it from now and design the missile, especially the propulsion, accordingly. Else the cannisters will be an afterthought and not optimised.
Long timeline. Enough time to think.

From BEL Annual report 2019-20

What on earth is Akash Prime ?

Fullscreen capture 08-09-2020 131213.bmp.jpg

Reactions: Gautam and Ashwin
From "fire starter" on D F I :

First look at the new VL-SRSAM launch system for Indian Navy by DRDO. Each Vertical Launch Unit (VLU) houses 8 heavily modified quick reaction SAMs to engage incoming supersonic projectiles.
1599628287103.png

The cannisters are designed to launch missiles in hot-mode, i.e. ignition within the cannister itself & the VLU is designed to launch SAMs in quick succession incase there's multiple incoming projectiles.

1599628403750.png

From "fire starter" on D F I :

First look at the new VL-SRSAM launch system for Indian Navy by DRDO. Each Vertical Launch Unit (VLU) houses 8 heavily modified quick reaction SAMs to engage incoming supersonic projectiles.
View attachment 17668

The cannisters are designed to launch missiles in hot-mode, i.e. ignition within the cannister itself & the VLU is designed to launch SAMs in quick succession incase there's multiple incoming projectiles.

View attachment 17669

This is why it's critical to have watermarks.

Post the images on forum. If the tweet is deleted we will lose them :
View attachment 17670
View attachment 17671

So there is a 16 SR-SAM config out there. It doesn't look that big either. The Kamorta class is still without a SAM. Kolkata, Vizag, Nilgiri et al have plenty of deck space. This would be a welcome addition.

There is a land launched vehicle mounted version of this in the works , it will have 4 cells instead of 8 and it will include the common linear exhaust vent ( could be segmented in the land version ) from the 8 celled VLS .

Last edited:
Reactions: _Anonymous_
There is a land launched vehicle mounted version of this in the works , it will have 4 cells instead of 8 and it will include the common linear exhaust vent ( could be segmented in the land version ) from the 8 celled VLS .
What is the need for this ? Between QRSAM, AKASH, SPYDER, MR-SAM etc. don't we have enough land based SAMs ?

What is the need for this ? Between QRSAM, AKASH, SPYDER, MR-SAM etc. don't we have enough land based SAMs ?

Every SAM system is for a specific role

QRSAM - for defence of mobile columns
AKASH - base defence
SPYDER - short range , quick reaction defence of vulnerable areas
MRSAM - medium range defence of base and vulnerable areas

SPYDER is available in short numbers , VL-SRSAM will complement and replace the same in the future.
It's role is similar , low footprint , low logistic trail , high mobility , go anywhere capability , etc unlike AKASH , QRSAM , MRSAM . Will be used specifically in mountainous regions to defend vulnerable points , basically it will provide on demand air defence regardless of terrain or operational conditions limitations.

Possibly 4 celled VLS of land based mobile launcher of VL-SRSAM

w.jpg

e.jpg

q.jpg

Last edited:

With the exception of MRSAM, none of the other missiles are as capable as the new SRSAM, including QRSAM. SRSAM has been designed to stop missiles that are much faster, as compared to the SPYDER, and it can be further enhanced.

Also, SPYDER is imported, whereas the IAF will get a desi option in the same class. It's based on the Astra after all. Indigenisation of all SAM classes is a pretty high priority.

Our overall SAM requirement is actually quite massive. Hence the need for a new triservices command for air defence.

Last edited:
QRSAM and SRSAM requirements are not the same (Compare the max altitude of SPYDER/derby and QRSAM).

QRSAM is tailored for Army requirements. They had a seperate SRSAM tender they closed it to fit in Akash.

Also everyone missed exports 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Bali78